Topic

Hiking on the Continental Divide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Hiking on the Continental Divide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Byrne

@obroin

Locale: Raleigh NC

I am planning a weeklong backpacking trip mid-August to the CDT and would like some views and comments. Most of my backpacking has been in the Appalachians and White Mountains, so I expect the Rockies to be more challenging.
    I plan to do an "out and back" starting at the Hessie Trailhead, hiking into the CDT and traveling south to James Peak or beyond depending on the schedule.
    Does anyone know of a weekday shuttle to Hessie since I'll be using public transport.
    What do you think of the distance – it's short on miles; 12-15 miles per day is normal in the Appalachians
    Are there good escape routes off the divide to avoid thunder storms?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This belongs in Pre Trip Planning.

Community Support Forum is..

A place where BackpackingLight.com members can ask specific questions from the forum community about using the backpackinglight.com website or its forums, or other support issues not related to membership account maintenance

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"This belongs in Pre Trip Planning.

Community Support Forum is.."

Yeah, but at least these kind of questions get a response.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

True Nick.

Did you notice the name change and the change in forum description? Here we are officially on our own.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Oh Boy! Chaff II

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I can't give you information about specific trails.

My experience is you can hike faster in the Sierras and Rockies. More open space and fewer obstacles unless going off trail. Also navigation is much, much easier for me.

Altitude can affect some people adversely, not only alt sickness but less oxygen to breath. If you are doing big elevation gains especially high up many folks suffer and go really, really slow.

So it is hard to give advice.

In thunder storms get down below tree line and don't be the biggest thing are next to the biggest thing.

Once you get going, it is just walking. Only I like the views better.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools