Topic

The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Second time this has happened. Load up the pack, head out for a North Cascades overnighter. Perfect weather, no bugs, just rambling through swift flowing streams in some sandals.

Get to my overnight spot early… kick around, find a camp spot, decide against it, find a better one, set up, scramble the nearest high point, eat… it's 3pm.

Why quit hiking on a perfect day? Break camp, continue on, check out the lake, take a side trail, take some photos, wade into a creek (early summer in the Cascades is, well… the bees knees). Talk to some ambitious mountain bikers, impromptu ptarmigan photo shoot, lie to some boyscouts about distance to the pass.

Before you know it, loop is done, walking back to the car. Could have avoided this had I shunned the UL movement. Now I'm at home with nothing to do but drink beer and watch Korean movies.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I suggest next time you take a slab* of Korean beer with you and an iPad so you can watch some American movies.

A slab is a carton with 24 stubbies
    A stubby is…
    oh, never mind

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Oh Franco, you can assume I know what a stubby is…

But serious, too many friends from Seoul. Last time I took a "slab" anywhere was an island hiking trip with a rack of Fat Tire from Costco.

God I hate Costco.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sounds like my first 25 mile day. Need a bigger loop.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Do the loop twice?

At very least it would be fun to confuse the mountain bikers and boy scouts again.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Maybe another side trip or UL gourmet cooking? There's also buying a better camera to take more pictures in the late afternoon sun. If not ambitious mileage, activities after camp should be planned for. Better to have too much time rather than stumble into camp at dusk.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

This is becoming my problem too.. I keep putting in TOO MANY miles and under estimate everything.

I just did 45 miles in 3 days … actually more like 2.5 days.

I actually WANTED to do all four days but I finished 1.5 days early.

I guess that's better than 1.5 days late and worrying my family … but still.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Doing the loop twice did cross my mind, the area was beautiful.

I think if nothing else, just plan way more miles next time. I'm not much of a foodie, but I suppose I could try out actually cooking on a trip. I don't usually bring a stove unless the wife is along. That might be fun. Or just carry more beer.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Time to up the mileage. I had the same problem for years as I've always had a fast metabolism and tended to speed hike. I've found having something to do in camp and showing up exhausted at the end of the day can help. That can be fishing, or sketching or just bringing a good book and a nice drink. Better to relax somewhere with a good view than at home whenever possible.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Have run out of trail several times and come home early. Once my partners wife thought we had had a fight and that is why we came back early (she was worried no one would go with him anymore) ;)

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Add more weight to slow you down? :P

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Have a leisurely breakfast with the wife, drive up and start later in the day. Camp at dusk. Hike out and grab a late breakfast in town. Makes for what I call 24 hrs in the woods. Sometimes it fits the schedule well.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Relax, look, and listen?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Or just carry more beer."

Too much beer weight is self-correcting.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Leaving UL, coming back SUL!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You sound like you are are about to enter the land of uber high mile days. It is addicting and also opens up weekend trip to itineraries that most do in a week. There is no known cure!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Try getting into fishing. That should slow you down a bit.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

..and if you hike off trail, mileage has less meaning. When you are climbing up steep tundra with some low class 3 scrambling on the talus in places and then bashing through willows, I can assure you the mileage will go down. :D)

The best part of hiking off trail is that you go where few people go and really feel like you are deep in the wilderness.

So the TRAILS aren't challenging? Get a good topo and go off-trail.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I totally agree with Paul. Off trail hiking is fun, so much fun that you won't be rushing or concerned with mileage. You will want to explore places in a non linear fashion – just hopping around lake to lake or peak to peak.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

off trail might be the ticket, I'm just such a horrible planner! if I show up with endless miles of trail ahead of me, I know I have minimal navigation and therefor, maximal "head time" if that makes sense…?

i'll admit I used "Flagging" for the first time ever two weeks ago. Had 12 hours to escape, and a heavily wooded peak to summit. I collected every piece on the way down, my guilt is light. oh well.

I can't wait to do a long thru-hike. No objective but Going. April can't come fast enough!

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I'm with Paul. The late start, early return is the best way to squeeze in an overnighter of almost any distance, especially a loop if you can camp where you want. Mini trips are a great way of not letting life get in the way of backpacking. But Ken's idea of doing the loop twice just to boggle the minds of the scouts and bikers you met sounds great too. Maybe you could pretend that you're lost on pass two and let the scouts save you. Everybody wins.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I think you need a wilderness hobby besides walking. I like to fish or practice bushcraft skills while backpacking. My friend is studying ecology and likes to identify plants.
    Learn to gather wild edible plants.
    Climbing stuff is always fun.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

This is why I like to bring a nook – I can do a lot more mileage than my friends, so I just take a nice long lunch at a beautiful spot, take off my shoes, have a bit of a soak, and lose myself in a good book surrounded by awesome smells, sounds, feelings, breeze on my face…that can consume a heck of a lot of time if I'm not careful….

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Birdwatching. Warning: addictive. In no time at all, you'll want to collect the whole set.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I like the idea of doing the loop twice. But change clothes before the second loop, and act like you don't know anything about that other guy that looks like you.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools