Normally I am hiking or camping most holidays and weekends. Left home last Monday for a week but had to scuttle my plans do to thieves. This just helps me vent. How thieves ruined our vacation
Topic
Why I am on BPL this holiday and weekend
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Wow, that is aweful. It's difficult to think of anything more demoralising than having someone invade steal and vandalize your personal possessions. Terrible.
Man, real bummer, sorry to hear
Even though your tires were only 5 years old, one blew, that's weird
I have heard 8 years before you should replace.
I have a pickup with 13 year old Firestone tires. I keep asking the service people and they say they're fine, never heard about 6 or 8 year lifetime. We don't drive it much so I ignore it.
I had an RV with Firestone tires that were maybe 1999 and they started blowing out at 2006. After the first I just replaced two and put them on the front. Then a year later another blew, so I replaced the rest. It had duals on the rear so if I drove very slowly I could drive it a little.
and the reason I'm on BPL is to escape the hoardes of people. and defend the house from fireworks. I just got back from 4 night backpack, about to go on short trip with RV.
Damn Nick I am really sorry to see this, you had done so much work on that trailer too!
Jerry,
Tires over 6 years old are not considered safe.
That is a disheartening story. Sorry this happened to you.
No good bead breaking tool?
"Tires over 6 years old are not considered safe."
according to who?
60 Minutes did a piece where they said 8 years and gave some examples of blow-outs on older than 8 year tires that killed people in ensuing accident
Several Les Schwabb tire dealers and the outfit that services my vehicles haven't heard of this and just say that as long as there is no indication of a problem like cracking, they're okay. It would be in their interest to replace them.
This is confusing. I hate to replace tires when it's not necesary. I'm a cheapskate. I don't like to consume resources un-necesarily. In your case, the tire failed after 5 years so maybe that should be the number.
Most vehicle manufacturers recommend replacement at 6 years. Most tire warranties expire at 6 years. The is no "official" standard.
Hi Nick,
As Kat said, very, very disheartening. People like your scumbag thieves deserve some really, really bad karma – I'd be fine with someone getting all medieval on 'em.
It is disheartening and sickening. I am still furious. But in the big scheme, it is only a camper (but a special one) and we are safe.
We will move on and continue to live our lives and get back to camping and hiking.
So I have to look at the bright side of life.
I bet the perpetrators even steal condiments from fast food places :)
Fortunately my JMT pencil was in my backpack in our SUV, and it is now safe and sound at home.
Sorry to hear that Nick. I've been robbed twice. Always pisses one off. They are only things. Glad you two are alright.
I'm here because it was a normal work week for me. No holidays.
Nick
My sympathies.
Probably locals.
Cheers
I am really sorry to hear this. Like most people, I detest thieves, and certainly hope Karma bites them in the arse sooner rather than later.
That sucks Nick. Based on your posts, you really used that pop up a lot. I hope your insurance comes through.
Nick, your story makes me want to punch somebody.
Sorry Nick, I hate to hear this. That Niagara was a great looking Pup and I learned a lot from looking at your mod pages. Dark side in your future or gonna go back with a Pup?
Ryan
Sorry to hear this. She looked a beauty. Hope it all gets sorted out soon and you can get back on the road.
That really sucks! You put so much work into making that pop-up just right for you and your family, it's disgusting to have some low lifes ruin it like that!
I hope they sliced the heck out of their hands on the torn sheet metal!
Did you try putting the jack on your tire and jacking the camper on it to unseat it?
I learned that trick a few years ago but have only used it once.
"Did you try putting the jack on your tire and jacking the camper on it to unseat it?
I learned that trick a few years ago but have only used it once."
Kat,
Now that is an excellent idea. I will store that in my memory bank. I used to mount tires on Class 8 trucks so I do have some experience. The tools I had with me didn't work. Your solution would have.
My biggest mistake was being too trusting — obviously. What happened is the last thing I expected. Heck I have left the camper popped up in and unattended in camp sites for days while hiking, and even at trail heads closed up. Never had a problem.
Everything that was stolen was secured by locking devices. Of course we know security measures are only meant to keep the honest people honest.
Thanks everyone for the positive notes and PM's. We still haven't heard back from the insurance company, but being a holiday week that doesn't surprise me. Once they tell us what they will or will not do, we will plan our options.
Nick,
Would it have been possible for one of you to drive to get the necessary help and the other (perhaps you) to stay with the camper?
In the future if this happens again you may need to consider a "guard" to watch the camper – like a 110 lb., trained Rotwieller!
P.S. Gotta say, I'd have love to come back as the theives were beginning their spree. With the machete and Asp baton I aways have in my car things may have gotten "interesting". Grrrr!
Become a member to post in the forums.

