Topic

favorite stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I am leaning towards purchasing my first tarp..quite possibly, most likely, almost positively MLD Patrol shelter(cuben)… Anyone have any recommendations or preferences which stakes??

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before you select stakes, you probably want to decide what kind of ground you will be using them in. Some stakes are good for rocky ground. Some are good for soft ground. Some are better for holding in high wind.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I am in NY, east coast. I think I have a little bit of it all here..and let's say I was thru hiking or planning it..I would be covering different terrain..so I guess I'm looking for a good all round ul stake for a tarp..

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Some reason I can't check those links on my phone..and I'm on a train right now..so I will look later tonight when I get home

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I really like MSR Needle Stakes. Apparently everyone else doesn't feel the same way because MSR discontinued them.

Charles Tufankjian

@ctufankjian

Locale: New Hampshire

I really like needle stakes as well. IMO they're the perfect compromise for every type of ground regarding weight, holding power and durability. I generally carry three needles and three shepard hooks or all needles depending on the shelter. Plus they'll last a thru hike and are reasonably easy to find. Sucks to hear that they discontinued them.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"Sucks to hear that they discontinued them."

Yeah, At least I was able to buy a bunch on closeout sale.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Apparently, if you live in the States, they're still available from Amazon.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I like ti shepherd hood stakes, because they are light and cheap, and will go into any hard soil the easiest.

If they wont work alone in soft soil or duff, there is usually rocks and sticks available to help them out.

Carry the minimum you have to carry.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My favorite steak is a rib eye followed by a porterhouse. 16-20 ounce preferred.

For backpacking stakes it depends on the trip. Ti hooks, MSR Groundhogs, 6" and 9" aluminum Easton, SMC snow stakes for snow and some desert trips.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I like the DAC V stakes. They hold well in sand and are really strong.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

There are a few good blog posts out there (Section Hiker and Brian Green come to mind) on carrying a variety. My new favorites, are Ruta Locura CF stakes. I have four 9" (kinda overkill) and 4 6". On most trips, I suspect that I'll take the four short ones, paired with two snow stakes and two Ti hooks. I used to use only hooks, but when there's a soft spot, I'd much rather change stakes than locations, or deal with a stake coming loose again and again.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I use a MLD cuben Patrol most of the time and do much of my hiking in the NY, NJ, CT area, with a little UT, AZ, NM from time to time.

My favorite all around stakes are the 9 inch or longer ti-hooks.

Where 6 inch shepherd hooks pull out in loose soil in strong winds, the extra length of the longer stakes seems to hold much better in a variety of soils.

I was amazed at how the 6 inch Ground Hog type stakes didn't hold as well in loose rocky soil.

I especially like these:
    Silly Stix

They are long, lighter than most stakes and the extra hook on the end works better when you want to stack a big rock on top in windy weather.

They are also multi-use.

I have a set of 6 and use them for ridge and corners. I use the Lawson 8" ti-stakes(no longer available) for mid stake points. The Lawson hold almost as well, but the extra hook on the Silly-Stix allows for better holding power when combined with rocks.

I also carry 4 – 6 inch ti-hooks to tie the corners of my bug bivy. They are also spares, but that is a different story:-)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

P. S. Joe, since you live in NY. I plan on hiking this Monday through Wednesday in Harriman or further north. In case you want to check out my setup.

— I just realized that this is an old post and that you probably already decided.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Oh man. Wish I could. I love Harriman for a quick getaway. I actually got my patrol shelter (cuben) last week. I love it and I am gonna try to get to Harriman hopefully in 2 weeks or so..thanks for invite though..

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

When I bought my TT Rainbow it came with Easton Alu stakes. They have performed without fault!! They have a large flat top so you can press with your shoes and not get stabbed. They are as light as I anything else on the market while being more user friendly than a simple hook end Ti stake.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive used the easton stakes as well for my main ridgline which is under a lot of tension.

But they arent the lightest. Ruta Locura carbon fiber stakes are light and CHEAP. The MSR carbon are much more $$$.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

MSR now makes a smaller version of the famed Ground Hog stake. Best holding non- snow stake I've ever used. And very strong.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I use the DAC V stakes too. Around 11 grams each (with a loop of Z line on it), but I've pounded them into compacted gravel filled designated camp platforms with a rock, and all it did was take off the blue paint, or anodizing, or whatever that stuff is. They seem to hold pretty good in my mole infested backyard where the soil is very soft as well.

Lindsey Sommer
    Spectator

@lgsommer

Great question! I've been working on this a bit recently, and depending on the conditions, generally use a combination of MSR groundhog stakes (not the little ones, but I want to try these out), and tri hook stakes (made by Vargo).

I will say, however, that there are times that these are all totally when I'm on really hard packed desert ground here in southern California. Sometimes the titanium stakes sort of work here, but, ideally you'd find some rocks (I seem to have bad luck with these though).

Rick Sutton
    BPL Member

@rickcsutton

Locale: Midwest

I have had great success with the GG Tite Lite Ti Shepard hooks in all kinds of 3-season ground conditions. Like someone else already mentioned, I just use rocks to add some weight if I feel the ground warrants this. I also put them in the ground at a slight angle.

This year, I plan to start experimenting with as many 2g Terra Nova Ti skewers as I can get away with while using the rock adding technique when necessary.

I have been using a MLD Patrol Shelter for about 5 years and love it. I think it makes a great first tarp as it is a bit easier to set up and it gives me a bit more warmth due to the enclosed rear end.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

None. I like to use sticks found at the campsite. Sometimes I sharpen the ends if needed depending on soil conditions.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Far and away the best and lightest stakes I've used are Easton Metal jackets. (0.19oz per stake) Per the name – constructed with a high strength carbon fiber core, wrapped in a thin aluminum jacket. Nothing like it. They also make a nice clinking sound when hit together in camp. :)

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/accessories/easton-8in-nano-aluminum-stakes-66.html

Cheers,
    Gary

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

a full set of those stakes would cost more than my entire shelter!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools