Topic

Forum software update?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Forum software update?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Kinda new to this message board, but I'm quite familiar with the concept in general. I have to say that the forum software running on this site seems pretty antiquated and not exactly 'feature rich'. No ability to quote from someone else's post (without resorting to copy-paste quotes or html). Have to use html to accomplish much of anything including creating links (many forums' software will parse links automatically- i.e. make them live). No [img]code for non-html users to easily embed images (like a link from Flickr- I'm not talking about the "insert image at cursor" button) or do basic stuff like formatting text. No obvious tracking of page views or how many users are hanging around. No ability to preview your post before it gets posted. Etc.

It's not the end of the world, I was just curious why such a seemingly active community would run on somewhat hobbled (imho) software.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"legacy"

And no capital or will to make a change.
    No adverts. Stupid low "forum fee". And a bunch of folks who think everything should be free.

Believe me, we all feel you pain.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> No aaaa
    > No bbbb
    > No cccc

And no highly experienced programmers willing to do a major upgrade and overhaul and support for 6 months all for free.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

And it works just fine as it is. We can communicate. Just link to your own blog that is easier to edit, upload to and maintain the ownership of your own content is an option too.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The issue is lack of planning by management.

It was always said that the Russians always had a five-year plan. With most major web sites, management has a plan. They know that they will do a minor software upgrade every year, or a major software upgrade every few years. They choose web site software correctly in the first place so that they don't get stuck without an easy upgrade path.

Moreover, most such major sites do not just use the site as a pure cash cow for years and years. They keep reinvesting some portion of the site income back into the upgrade fund. By always keeping things moving ahead, management will generally have a continuous influx of new members, and that means a positive cash flow.

Now, if management here has decided to do it their own way, then that explains why technical and fiscal stagnation has set in. It isn't the active community that decides the future here.

–B.G.–

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Not asking for an "upgrade" just a minor style tweak for mobile.
    Since all phones are going to HD, can you change the page width?
    The mobile width is too narrow for landscape and the full-site is too wide.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

nm

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

> No aaaa
    > No bbbb
    > No cccc

What part of 'No" do people not understand? :)

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The only thing I'd like to see would be more search options, like filtered results, etc. But then again, like it's been said, stupid low membership fees and no a, b, c, or XXX, and definitely no up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, a, b.

BPL should start selling calendars like the firefighter, cheerleader, etc fund raising calendars to raise some $$. Get some volunteers to strike some sexy poses on the trails and whatnot.. :o)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Use Google site specific searches. There was a calendar once. There was also a "fine art" print. A bamboo fly box. A theme song and other such stuff that did not sell.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools