Topic

2 gram back flush for sawyer squeeze

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2 gram back flush for sawyer squeeze

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

Hi Harold. I hate to read threads that start off with someone being helpful and then degenerate into some other people arguing about some mildly related topic, so I didn't want to contribute to that effect, but I guess I've gone too far already. I took your statement to mean that you claim that adding a piece of hose will increase the pressure to the filter. Now that I've had some much needed sleep – it still reads that way to me. If that is indeed the claim, it is incorrect. The tubing will not increase the pressure. Actually it would only decrease the pressure output as a result of viscous losses.

As for supporting claims – you first :) I don't see any support for your claim that sufficiently high pressure cannot be generated with a bag – only postulations, no?

And for your bag of air, if you take a probabilistic view of the universe, it could indeed spontaneously inflate your bicycle tire, it is just exceedingly unlikely to happen when you want. Or ever. But statistically possible. (I offer no support of this claim, and admit I'm out of my area of expertise here.)

Kevin Gurney
    Spectator

@kwgurney

Locale: SF Bay Area

What a timely topic! I just got a new Sawyer Squeeze and have used it one night in the field. I've been trying to decide if the large syringe needs to go in my repair kit bag in the field, or if I can risk leaving it at home for shorter trips. And then this space saving suggestion comes along. I love these forums…

But let's assume that this water-bag-to-Smartwater-top method actually does produce equal or more pressure than the syringe. I would be concerned that the bag – especially the Sawyer-provided bag – would be more likely to burst when backwashing a particularly clogged filter. I have more faith in the syringe's ability to take ("make", really) the pressure. Any thoughts on or experience with this? The last thing I would want is to have no way to backwash the filter in the field if that's something I think is going to need to be done.

And to settle the bet about which is mightier, the syringe or the Smartwater, is altitude is a proxy for pressure? It's been a long time since high school physics, but if I can squirt a stream of water into the air using two different mechanisms, all things being equal the mechanism that makes the stream go higher is producing more pressure. If true, this should be a very simple – and fun! – experiment to conduct.

Thoughts on this, anyone?

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I've had my Sawyer inline for over a year and probably 400 or so miles of hiking with it. Its very unlikely that you would need to backflush it on shorter trips. Even with longer trips, backflushing is not something that you often need to do. We used mine for 3 people on the JMT last year over 18 days and didn't backflush during the hike at all. If for some reason the filter got so clogged that I needed to backflush but couldn't, I always carry a few wrapped purification tablets for emergencys. But I doubt that that will happen.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I killed a HikerPro over the course of 4 days on the CDT in Colorado. Water sources were marginal, but drinking was not optional.

I killed a Hiker Pro in about 2 weeks in the BWCA. BWCA has a microscopic algae that is notorious for this. On our last trip there I took a PointOne and killed it in about 10 days. Maybe got 75 liters out of it. So I back-flushed and continued using it.

That's why I now take a filter I can back-flush.

I'm glad you've had good luck and sad I've had bad luck.

But I no longer "…doubt that that will happen"

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

The flow rate of my Sawyer reduced significantly after 4 days use in the Lost Creek Wilderness of Colorado last week. Our hiking partners had a new Sawyer and did not experience flow reduction.

Water was clear but my wife stirred up a bit of sediment on one or two fillings. I have a piece of mesh in the inlet end of the filter and did not see anything retained by it.

In-the-field backflush capability is desirable to me. I'm with Greg.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Stephen Parks, it can hardly be called 'off topic' to note that a method may in fact be incorrect, although alluring. So this is in fact strictly ontopic, exceedingly so, the topic being backflushing a sawyer squeeze.

If I wasn't clear, the reason I use a tube is not to increase pressure, but to make mating the syringe tip to the sawyer work way better, no leaks or misses. Trying to jam the one they provide against the hard plastic does sort of work but it's a pain. Since I already use the clean end adapter with a hose to get the water into the clean bottle, this is zero extra weight. You can also suck the water out of the sawyer before packing it up, the benefits are significant.

I realized after posting this that this question can be fairly trivially tested. With a 2oz syringe, ideally not with the catheter tip that sawyer provides, but with the longer nozzle that lets you insert it into a soft tube firmly, you can squeeze out 2 oz of water in about 1 second, give or take. Hard to time it exactly. This yields of a flow rate of roughly 120 oz per minute, but a flow rate that starts instantly, no buildup. Now we have a standard to judge against. That's 7.5 pints, or roughly 4 quarts a minute. The thing that sawyer specifically warns against is inadequate pressure forming a center channel after which you will never achieve a full clearing out of the sawyer because the water will always then follow the path of least resistance after that point. I believe that to achieve this 1 or 2 second flow rate with a platy type bag will yield a popped bag in not too long, but it's easy to test empirically so there's no need to speculate, how hard to squeeze a bag to get this burst. Remember, you don't want to build up to this rate, you want it instant to avoid forming the center channel issue.

If it takes 2 seconds to empty the syringe, then you have a flow rate of 2 quarts per minute. I'd have to time it to see what it actually takes.

The syringe, because it is a pump, which you can apply focused force on via the plunger, because you squeeze it between your thumb and fingers, using leverage, allows you to achieve this pressure/flow rate in a consistent manner, every time.

So all alternate methods can be easily tested, simply do whatever you're going to do for between 1 and 2 seconds, measure the flow out with a measuring device accurate enough to measure ounces, and there you have it. The flow rate was either in the recommended range or it was not. If you get this 2 oz in about 1, 1.5 seconds (that's counting at normal speaking speed, one one thousand) then you do in fact have an awesome 2 gram backflushing system, if it is far under that, you do not.

However, at $29 for a sawyer squeeze filter, which for those of us using hiker pros remember, is I believe less than a 200 gallon rated, non backflushable replacement filter costs, this is not a really major problem.

My apologies to any violations of physics, which I am trying to correct by noting very simple empirical facts of actual flow rates, which are measurable, and require no speculation.

So give it a try, attach devices, start backflush, into accurate measuring device, note measurement of liquid after 1 second, then 2 seconds. This test takes a few minutes to carry out.

[added]holding the sawyer and and squeezing the syringe with one hand, it took about 1.25 seconds to get the water through, 2 oz. If I put the sawyer on the ground and held the syringe in two hands, I could do it in 1 second easily. So that's actual data point 1 for those interested in such things. lol, what we do for the sake of science….

a long nozzle 2oz / 60ml weighs 36 grams roughly.

As a side note, I'd been considering the use of smaller syringes to get more compact but this discussion has finally convinced me it's a bad idea to try to save weight that way, alluring as it is re size and weight and overall compactness. From now on I will consider the weight of the sawyer to include the syringe.

I'm going to update those postings where I suggested using smaller syringes and remove that advice, I simply had not considered flow rates over time adequately, so this thread was quite useful, as were the comments of an engineer on that blog posting who also pointed to flow rates (the tubules apparently hold roughly 1/2 oz of water in volume).

When I tested using a bag for backflush, these were my results:

I did, by the way, try using two screw on ends with hoses, to try to use a bladder bag to backflush, but I couldn’t generate enough pressure, and it felt like I’d probably end up bursting the bag over time if I tried it, and it really didn’t get much more than a dribble when backflushing.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

I just tested this using the new style Squeeze with SmartWater nozzle fit over the Sawyer nipple. I could easily backflush 60cc of water through the filter in 3.5 seconds. There was no delay, and it did not take inordinate pressure on the bag. The syringe took 2.8-2.9 seconds to push the same 60 cc's of water. Yes the syringe flows more, but not much more.

In summary, the SmartWater setup is in my opinion quite adequate for field use and I am not the least bit worried about overstressing the bag. After all you are likely to backflush maybe once a trip.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Greg & Daryl,
    Its good that you recognize the need to be able to backflush on a trip. When I said "I doubt that that will happen", I was referring to a situation where I would have to turn to my back up chemical treatment because I was unable to backflush the filter. Im confident that I will be able to accomplish it even without the syringe by using the method described in this thread. I never implied that I would not encounter a situation where backflushing would be necessary. I already have.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

You have me picturing a syringe as pogo-stick for maximum output. Maybe a trekking pole attachment is needed for the long upright section.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Eric – thanks a bunch for this great idea. Today I was finally in a store that sells SmartWater bottles with the fliptop lid. I attached the lid to my Evernew, and the blue part fits nicely into the Sawyer Squeeze and squirts through just fine. I must have a different model than you, because I didn't need the second lid to attach to the Sawyer itself. Instead of carrying a bulky, 1.17 oz syringe, I can now carry the tiny .12 oz cap. Thanks again!

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Thanks Eric and Drew. I replaced the original, .20 ounce drink cap/cover from the Sawyer Squeeze with the .18 ounce Smart Water bottle drink cap/cover. So the replacement is actually lighter than the original, and I can leave the bulky syringe at home. Fantastic!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools