Topic

Marmot Kompressor Plus for a small pack or something else

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Kompressor Plus for a small pack or something else

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

Looking for a small pack for summer day hikes.REI has the Marmot Kompressor Plus on sale for 40$.I like the flash 22 but it is heavier and not really compressible like the marmot or the flash18.
    The only downside i see to marmot is no bottle pocket and much thinner material.Im not hardcore weekend warrior so i dont see myself using it enough to wear it out fast.The flash 18 is too small and lacks any pocket-which i want.Any input on this marmot??

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

The Marmot Kompressor Plus looks like a good deal for that price. I have not used one so I can't say much about it.

Not sure what you mean about being compressible. The Flash 18 and Flash 22 both have daisy chained loops that can have a cord or shock cord strung through them for compression, so it seems to me like they would be as effective at compressing if not more effective. In practice I never found compression that necessary in a small pack anyway.

Not sure what you carry on day hikes, but I always found that the Flash 18 carried more than I would ever carry on a day hike. Not saying it is big enough for you, but it might be worth trying to load one with your stuff. You might be surprised what it will hold. I find that I can easily fit everything I need for 3 season overnight camping as long as a bear canister is not required. That said since the Flash 22 came out I gave been using it more than the Flash 18.

On the water bottle… All three packs have a hydration sleeve if you would consider using a bladder and hose to drink camelbak style. Barring that, taking the pack off to drink is not that huge of a task and carrying a bottle in hand is also an option.

BTW, I actually also would consider waist packs. MountainSmith makes some nice ones. You can bring them around to the front to easily access gear without taking them off.

Bruce Warner
    BPL Member

@magicrabbit

Locale: Midwest

Check out last years version of the Marmot Ultra Kompressor 20L pack. Full featured very well thought out design. Generous sized mesh side pockets and front pocket. A lid and very comfortable shoulder straps. I use it as a day pack as well as for weekend overnight trips. Has a foam back panel sew into the pack making it not as compressible as the others you mentioned. However, the pack carries very well.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

yeah the ultra has the features but toobulky…i guess im gonna have to use a bladder/platypos because in such a small bag having a nalgene bottle on one side will make it very lopsided…

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Take a look at the REI Travel Stuff Pack: http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-daypack. This is an awesome day pack and overlooked because REI keeps it with the travel accessories instead of with the other daypacks. 22 liters, weighs 10 oz (lower if cut off the unnecessary waistbelt), top lid with pocket, two mesh water bottle pockets, durable material and only $30. Great pack.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

thx steve …saw that pack once online forgot to bookmark it and then later couldnt find it anywhere on their website…

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Very strange what REI does. They don't keep the pack with the other day packs and it won't show online if doing a search for daypacks. Really need to hunt for it to find it at all, either in the store or online, and yet it has more features than most of their very small day packs.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm selling this EMS one on Gear Swap. Check it out!

ems1

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Max,any specs on the pack??sternum strap,water bladder pocket,size etc….

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

If I had to guess, I would say 12-15L because it's a tiny bit smaller than the REI 18L one, based on my personal perspective. It has one main large compartment and one small front pocket, as shown, because it packs into that pocket when you flip it inside out. Inside that front pocket there is one more pocket for small essentials. The straps and back are unpadded, a plus for weight savings but a minus for larger loads. I have never felt discomfort. I have a second one that I use almost every trip at least once.

See my profile pic? It's in the rack bag.

Good luck on your search, get the right one first over buying two, in my opinion. Worth figuring out, since these packs become a go-to for more than just trips.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

thx max…i am looking at something larger…i will check out rei today and their travel pack….ems also has a nice pack on sale but the mesh pockets are poorly reviewed…anyway i think with a small pack having a water bladder is better than bottle because of weight distribution.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

i got the marmot…i checked out the REI travel pack but it has a narrow opening and stuffing stuff in there or retrieving it would be an issue for me.Also the side pockets wont properly hold a nalgene because they are too short.Since there is no water bladder compartment in it either,i nixed it from my list.The flash 18 and 22 are both amazing choices but the marmot was bigger than the 18 and more foldable than the 22.The REI Flash are of more durable material-like you can drag them on rocks no problemo.
    The marmot has the widest opening and you can stuff the kitchen sink and a bear can in there if need be.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I traded for this pack sometime ago, but I've come to really like it as a UL daypack:

Terra Nova Laser Elite Pack

http://www.campsaver.com/laser-20-elite-pack?gclid=CJ7DmJyul7gCFU_ZQgodQxUAVw

No front pocket or straps but 2 side bottle pockets and the top closes with velcro and then rolls closed. The only thing is that I never used the waist strap and pockets so I just dropped it at Rainy Pass in Seattle to have them removed.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Curious about your thought process.

1) Why do you need a summer day hike pack that is compressible?
    2) A bladder carried water closer to your back and is a lot more stable. It also keeps the water colder on the hot days.
    3) 20L is huge for a day hike pack, especially in summer. Are you sure you really need all that space?

I use an Osprey Talon 11 with the hipbelt cut off for done-in-a-day trips. It carries:
    Food
    2L platypus
    Camera
    Windshirt
    Rain jacket and skirt (under bungees)
    Down jacket, vest or synthetic vest
    Gloves and hat
    Blizzard bag (emergency bivies)
    Typical misc kit (first aid, repair kit, sun screen, map, compass, headlamp, whistle, Spot)

I can also easily throw helmet, crampons and an ice axe in for technical trips. This covers everything from a few miles to 16+ hour epic off trail ridgeline traverses in cooler fall temps.

What else are you bringing on simple summer day hikes that you need 20L for? (maybe the Talon 11 is bigger than 11L though).

I wish they made a 30L identical to the 11 for 3-4 day trips. The pocket layout is perfect – not fussy at all, just what you need. Shoulder pockets for camera and a powerbar. Exterior pocket for quick-access for common use essentials. Interior pocket allows easy access to the day's food. External bungee for raingear. Open bladder pocket allows you to easily stuff your windshirt for quick on/off.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

I dont like carrying the bare minimum.I like the option to pack my sleeping bag and tarp.Also to use in winter for snowshoeing.I have also realized that i need to get with the program re water bladders.I already have a platypus 2l so ill try it out.Ill see how the pack works out and then decide if i want it or sell it for something else.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been using the Flash 22 for several months and I'm happy with it. The water bottle pockets really increase the space and utility for me. It comes as close as any to the classic rucksack design.

The straps are the only part I would change, although they are fine for sub 10-pound loads. I typically carry essentials, rain gear, insulation layer, snacks, water and camera.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Dale, i noticed the side pockets on the 22 could actually properly hold water bottles.The only strike i could find against the 22 was that it doesnt fold or collapse like the 18 or the marmot -maybe because of the backpadding.I like all 3 packs.The marmot i can bring along in my backpack for longer trips and use it for a sleeping bag stuff sack and for side trips.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Was at rei today and did more testing.Actually,the flash 22 is just as foldable as the marmot-you have to take out the foam board from the water bladder area,duh.However the side pockets dont cover the top of a nalgene and it will pop out if you bend over.The flash also weighs 4oz more than the marmot and has some interior zip pockets that seem superfluous.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey Hipass. Why do you insist on not using real titles in your replies? Makes it hard to search. Makes it impossible to guess what you are replying to.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools