Topic

PCT Bear Bag Hang

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PCT Bear Bag Hang

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

I got a Bear Bag rig from some http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com last year, cuben throw bag THAT doubles as stuff sack & super light rope, and I used the clover hitch & a stick to keep it in place. Worked pretty good, but it wasn't the easiest thing to rig with only 2 hands.

I stumbled upon this method today, and was wondering if anyone used it. It is the "Knotless PCT Bear Bag Hang" and it uses a peice of PVC pipe cut to a couple inches to secure it in place & no knot is used, but it uses a kinda hitch. Here is the youtube video to explain it. I ended up cutting a small section of the end of a caulk tube (the end where the caulk isn't coming out of)INSTEAD of using pvc, as the caulk tube was about 1/4 the weight. HA!

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpR_LEoD5PU

I gave it a try tonight here at the house, and the knotless rig used to do it is very simple to understand and apply to the rig. Might be worth a look if you use a Bear Bag…

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

The reference to having to pull all the line through a clove hitch is bogus in the case of tying it on a stick. You throw the two loops and put the stick through. The clove hitch is actually easier than messing with the pvc pipe and eliminates carrying one more thing.

The reference to the clove hitch being hard to untie is also a stretch.

Edit: This vid shows the PCT method and shows the clove hitch being tied without feeding the line through:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qgBLDMuPuvE

In the PVC vid looks like he is tying a marlin spike hitch. You could use that just as well without the pvc using the stick instead.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"The clove hitch is actually easier than messing with the pvc pipe and eliminates carrying one more thing."

Really +1

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Kevin, did you notice who put out that video :) Here is the original article.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

I had a tough time with the traditional method last year & I ain't weak OR inept by any means, so this is an alternative for me to try, if nothing else. I'll bring the tiny peice of vinyl tube, for fun if nothing else & if it seems harder than the traditional method, then I'll grab the nearest stick & get back to what brought me to the dance in the first place!

OK, and for those of you reading, I found out on youtube how to indeed tie a clove hitch without having to run the line the entire length to get it threw the loop of the hitch, as mentioned above. Here is the youtube link for that, it is towards the end of the clove hitch how to segment, he does it twice close up & it easier than tying the clove hitch the other way, in my opinion. I did it here at the house & it might indeed be the way to go. We shall see, I'll bring all 3 "methods" with me to hike this summer & see which one works best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3DLRpUn6ec

Enjoy, Kevin

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

That video shows what I was awkwardly trying to describe, but much more clearly.

Good luck sorting out what works best for you.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3s87FuTrdwQ&feature=plcp

Another way to tie a clove hitch.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

I have used a tiny piece of PVC pipe for years and it works great …. http://instagram.com/p/G4GHbJRmIv/

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I watched that PVC video some time ago and have to admit I'm bumfuzzled how it could be considered easier than a clove hitch. Is *anything* easier than a clove hitch?

Kiel Senninger
    BPL Member

@kiel-s

Locale: San Diego

+1 to the clove hitch. twist a loop as high as you can reach, then twist another one next to it going the opposite direction and put a stick in it. not that the pvc weighs much, but it's one less thing to lose.

here's a video i found. pretty much the same as your 2nd video kevin.

YouTube video

Will Webster

@willweb

I'll admit, sometimes at the end of a long day while holding the weight of a bear bag over my head, my fingers get confused trying to throw a clove hitch. Probably means I need to get out more. When that happens I just make a slip knot; works just as well. If it doesn't want to untie in the morning I break the stick at the knot.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

IN the end, non of it would be fun if it was as easy as pie, now would it! At least that is what someone once said!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Feed yourself, not the wildlife

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Pete, you posted the video that I would have if you hadn’t already. +1.

Of particular value for me is his “alternative” method, which in my mind I just call the “reverse PCT method.” Much of the old growth is gone in the forests of north Georgia, first from logging and then various blights that have decimated the rest. Finding a sturdy branch 15-20 ft up and relatively perpendicular to the tree trunk several feet out can be a rare find, that reverse method using a simple fork in a tree is what I end up having to use most of the time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools