Topic

Trail running shoes in Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Trail running shoes in Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I have put away my boots for trail runners since reading several well known UL books and learning a great deal from BPL.
    However I have made this change since spring never in winter.

I have a 2 week trip coming up in November and I am wondering if I will get cold feet. What is the best way to incorporate runners and winter.
    I hate the thought of going back to boots but I hate cold feet even more!

How about some tips and techniques on this topic.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Kevin,

I used trail runners this winter with mixed results, One thing I noticed is I had to use micro spikes a lot more than with boots.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I find my feet stay warm when underway. I use Gore Tex socks in camp so I can have warm dry feet in my wet shoes. Down booties with removable outers for camp in winter.

Cold feet, no thanks.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Same as Ken with the Gore socks and booties for camp.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I wear trail runners year round and do a lot of winter hiking. The only watch out that I will mention is fresh snow. I have had problems with fresh snow getting into the top mesh of the shoes and freezing into a rock hard ball. This first happened on the PCT while wearing micro spikes but it has happened since then as well. I have actually stood in a stream to melt the ice ball out. Here is a picture of what my feet looked like after that day on the PCT.

Feet

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have tried a variety of minimalist options in the winter. Most frequently I am wearing light trail runners (1/2 size larger than normal, with screws driven into the lugs). I wear toe sock liner with rbh insulated vapor barrier socks. Sometimes I go with a light weight boot when I expect I will be kicking steps for the extra protection of my toes and some weight to swing.

Sometimes I bring down booties, sometimes I don't bother.

–Mark

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I wear trail runners in winter as well. If I'm going to be hiking in snow/wet, I wear Rocky gore-tex socks while hiking, with a warm sock underneath. I also size up half a size and get extra wide trail runners to accommodate the socks. If it's a dry hike, just cold, I won't wear the Rocky's, just thick socks.

Like Ken, my feet stay warm as long as I'm moving. If I stop my feet get cold, so I don't take long breaks. I also bring WM booties and a dry pair of sleeping socks for camp.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Have you read these articles

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Anyway, I think a lot unpleasantness happens when some folks try to push 3-season concepts into the fourth."

Trailrunners over NRS neoprene socks, over boot socks, and sometimes a breadbag for a VBL –
    Good gaiters are essential. If temps are 10° I add overboots for snowshoeing.
    Been doing it for years.
    No problems. Toasty toes.

I ended up here after not being able to find a "boot" that could keep my feet warm.

50/50 between snowshoeing powder and microspikes on packed trails.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

One point I will make about using trail runners in snow is that it's helpful to be in sufficiently good shape that you don't have to walk slow and/or take a lot of breaks. Or be yoked to another person or group who does that. Unless you use one of those chemical heat units (which I sometimes do in the toe area btw if not hiking alone for this very reason …), the only heat your feet get is metabolic heat. You have to be moving and generating heat.

It might also depend on the individual's metabolism; my wife certainly has colder hands and feet than I do.

But if you can keep moving, trail runners are great in snow. I suggest that you try it out in a relatively benign and safe setting the first time(s).

Note (of course) that boots in and of themselves won't keep your feet warm anyway; warm-er in some conditions, certainly.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Lots of good info, the articles were enlightening as well.
    To add clarification since reading some more info:

Trip itinerary –
    Early November , not really deep Winter, in SE Oklahoma, 12-13 days with possibility of snow but very very unlikely!
    Ice Is more likely for winter precip, but likely cold rain. Temp range in OK during day 20-80 who the heck can guess?

So " slop" is the most likely daily water issue although trail does have 7-9 wet crossings, which in 3 season I just walk thru and keep on rockin.
    But this gives me pause in cooler weather.
    I get very cold in toes and fingers so I be prepared but not carry extra or useless weight.

Current foot protectin plan- please give feedback!
    Day – smart wool socks with smart wool liner also have coolmax liners – which liners would be best.
    Keep Rocky Gore-tex socks handy for weather changes or wet crossings if temps are lower.

Night- possum down socks or WM down booties

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I have OutDry trail runners (Montrail Bajada's). I've used them on quite a lot of treks now and really like them. They breath well and with the occasional rain or step in water they perform great.

A while back I did a trek in really hard continuous (Japanese) rain. I thought about returning home because of the risk of landslides we have when there is heavy sustained rain but went on. At first the Bajada Outdry combo worked well and my feet stayed really dry. After roughly two hours of this they eventually did wet through and my feet started to get soaked.

The combination of Smartwool socks and the really great fit of the Bajada's meant everything was totally fine. Even with soaked feet and a lot of kilometers to go I didn't get any blisters. there was no rubbing, and I was totally comfortable.

Haven't tried OutDry layer yet in the sauna of Japanese summer but during fall/winter/spring they were not too hot/breathed well for me. Don't know if they are more waterproof than Gore because I never had Goretex shoes so can't really compare. .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools