Topic

Video Lyell Canyon to Donohue Pass June 7,8,9

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Video Lyell Canyon to Donohue Pass June 7,8,9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Hey there, I made a video for a weekend trip my brother and I did a few weeks back in Yosemite.
    Lyell Canyon Video

Thanks to the people on the forum who recommended this trip. It was awesome!
    Day 1: Tuolumne Meadows to camp in Lyell Canyon.
    Day 2: Lyell Canyon to Donohue Pass, then back to camp at a bench below the pass.
    Day 3: Back to trail head via Lyell Canyon.

Weather was high 80's, with the exception of a few scary looking thunderstorms that lasted about 5 minutes, dropped tiny amounts of rain/hail, and then cleared up.
    Mosquitoes were about 7 out of 10 as far as intensity.
    Crowds were very minimal. Mostly just a few day hikers near the trailhead, and climbers who were there to do Lyell Peak, Maclure, etc.
    Snow on the pass was patchy and soft. No crampons/ice axe needed. We were warned of heavy flooding in the canyon…but only found a few wet spots that were easy to walk around.
    Definitely recommend this for anyone who only has a weekend to spare.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Cool video. Brothers are funny together in a way normal people aren't. Good hiking too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Water Moccasins..

New camp shoe.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Chris, I saw your video on FB….loved it. Seemed like you and your brother had a great time. Doesn't the hike get even prettier the higher up you go? You have to go past Donahue Pass and into 1000 Island Lake…it is amazing back there

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools