Topic

Could the best wood burning stove just be a 3’x3′ chunk of wire cloth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Could the best wood burning stove just be a 3’x3′ chunk of wire cloth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I've had the Emberlit UL Mini for about 1.5 years now and while the stove build is high quality I have issues with the entire theory of wood burning stoves (after making a LOT of them).

Mostly these center around the amount of time it takes to maintain the fire. Either you're feeding the fire or breaking sticks into 3" chunks for it to burn OR hunting for wood.

Traditional fires are sort of a no brainer though. Every time I have a fire pit I'm in HEAVEN because all I have to do is throw a bunch of large logs on the fire and I'm done.

I was thinking that it might be easier to just build it with a large base of wire cloth at the bottom. The small ash particles will just fall through (which is fine).

If you made the mesh all interlocking it would pack away pretty easily.

One issue though is what do you do about a wind shield. I think some aluminum flashing would work well for this purpose.

Thoughts? Has anyone built anything like this before?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I think fire will be its worst enemy. The heat will weaken the material and it will start flaking off, leaving a mess in your pack. I'm thinking of regular hardware cloth, maybe other material will be ok.
    Duane

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

huh.. I've seen other people make stoves out of hardware cloth.

You have to put the gear in a plastic bag anyway. The soot builds up even after the first use and otherwise your pack would be all black.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Evernew in Japan used to make a folding fireplace that was just wire cloth and a tetrapod of four folding legs to elevate it off the ground. Rather elegant, I always regretted not getting one.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

that's basically exactly what I want.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

"Mostly these center around the amount of time it takes to maintain the fire. Either you're feeding the fire or breaking sticks into 3" chunks for it to burn OR hunting for wood. "

but … these issues, and their mastery, are the core essential GOODNESS of a wood stove.
    add to them the virtues of an occasional hole in your clothing, and you have "arrived".

it is indeed a fine and pleasant misery, is it not ?

cheers,
    v.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

You get something like a Firemug and maintaining the fire is almost a non issue. 3 minutes to gather a handful of twigs and load it, light it from the top so the coals drop down and ignite the wood under it. Once you light it, , theres no need to keep adding wood and it burns long and hot enough to boil about a liter of water, depending on the size of the stove.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Listen to the firemedic, me :-))))) and cadyak(firemug)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

This one looks like the design I want…

http://www.snowpeak.com/grills/fire-places/pack-and-carry-l-fire-place-st-032.html

but it's 12 lbs!!!

Did they make it out of iron?!

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Somewhere along the way, (in my opinion), Snow Peak forgot what light weight solo equipment should be like (ok, a broad generalization, but I have noticed this trend in their solo tents, for example).

James Crowley

@jimcro55

Is there any difference between Hardware Cloth and Wire Cloth? I am pretty sure – according to sites around the net – http://www.bwire.com/index.html – they are the same exact thing? What are you guys considering to be the difference between these?

Anyways – Wire Cloth should be able to last near the fire for quite some time. This material comes in different alloys, and some of these metals are considered to be "high temperature resistant".

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools