Topic

keeping snickers from melting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition keeping snickers from melting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

How do you keep your snickers bar from melting?

I usually justdeal with the melted bar should it happen but was curious if any one had a solution.

If i put it in my sleeping bag will it stay cool from the insulation?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"If i put it in my sleeping bag will it stay cool from the insulation?"

Yes.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

freeze it before your trip.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Buy a PayDay instead. Virtually the same ingredients and far less issue with melting.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Get out of here with that! Might have similar ingriedients but it is NOT the SAME! For shame….

Freezing is a good idea that will atleast mean I can keep them cool for a day. especially if I use the sleeping bag trick.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

If you use an insulated cosy for dehydrated meals keep the frozen snickers in it.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Josh, you can't. That is why I only eat them for breakfast. If they get soft during the day, it will harden back up overnight ; ).

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

But if you must….. Keep them with a lot of other food, together not alone in a back pocket where they will heat up quickly. I rarely have a problem keeping chocolate from melting though I carry mounds, Reese and hershey special dark.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Dark chocolate melts at a higher temp. Mounds, yummy!

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you're eating your candy bar for desert e.g., at lunch or dinner and you're near a water source usually the water is cold enough (at least in the CA Sierras) that you can put the bar into the water to get it cold enough to be solid. I also try to pack chocolate bars deep in my pack inside my down bag or other insulation (in a plastic bag of course)to keep them from melting. Doesn't always work in really warm weather. I don't think "tropical" high melting chocolate tastes good enough to bother with.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Carry candy bars in a cozy – it works, even unfrozen.

Also, even if it melts, it is still edible. Just find a cold stream or lake, submerge sealed bars and let chill. They firm up rather fast.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Good points about cozy and placing in streams.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you use one of those new coolers that simpleoutdoors.com is selling you can keep a handful of them from melting! :-)

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Another option is to pre-melt them at home before you go. Place bars on a cookie sheet in an oven at a low (~150F) temperature for about 5 minutes. When they are slightly melted roll them in a mixture of ground psyllium husks along with some cinnamon. You have to re-package them but this method works pretty good and increases the fiber content (adds 3-6 grams per bar). Psyllium is mostly tasteless but if desired, you could also use oatmeal, unsweetened coconut, etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools