Topic

Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4a: Gear Reviews

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4a: Gear Reviews

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Hexamid Solo Plus and Twin have identical footprints. The difference is the rear pole to raise up the back of the tent and create more usable space for a second person.

Doug Hus
    BPL Member

@doug-h

Locale: Ontario. Canada

Can a link be posted for a description of the "Overall Rating" system.
    Thanks.
    Doug

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Locale: New Uraniborg CO

The Nalgene 1 quart Cantene weighs 63g and comes in a wide mouth version suitable for use with the UV device. It actually holds a lot more than one quart. It's very strong and can be used with the Sawyer Squeeze as well with this mod.1L WideMouth Nalgene Cantene with Mod

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

And here I was thinking the MLD Solomid would finally get a BPL review/rating. ;)

Those are useful short reviews. I waited for this Trail Designs vs GOLD stove review, before pulling the trigger on a stove, and it made my mind up. Thanks.

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

Similar to Jim's mod above, I have stuck two soda bottle lids back to back with a hole between them, this dispenses with the syringe and allows you to routinely back-flush from your clean to your dirty bottle. Particularly useful with very muddy water.

Sucking the thing is not the way I drink from it. I use a small "dirty" Evernew bottle(filled from a little flattened soda bottle when scooping water from puddles)and push it into a large "clean" soda bottle via the filter. That way I can gulp, I know how much I've had, I can add rehydration salts etc and I can have a look at what I'm about to drink before drinking it!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Will, Good gear reviews.

Since the first iteration of the Murmur '12, Gossamer Gear revamped the straps on the pack. It now has poly straps instead of the nylon which would slip if the pack was overloaded. 5-6 days is a very conservative estimate for a trip with the Murmur. I have had two food bags in it and a small compression bag for the sleeping bag & cloths. I took this for about 2 weeks over the Northville-Placid Trail at about 23 pounds total pack weight at the trail head. Food, of corse, was the single bigest weight at about 16-17 pounds. The small pack is certainly capable of longer than 5-6 days.

The Steripen can be difficult to recharge in the ADK's. I prefer the battery operated Opti. A little heavier, it lasts much longer in the back country.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

That is cool. What did u use to make that. I usually use the wide mouth canteen to scoop water then pour it into the sawyer bottle and squeeze from there…your set up saves the use of the sawyer bottle

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You can get those caps premade now at

http://jetflow.com/product-detail/?pid=247

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

SCORE!!! Thankyou very much for that…just ordered it.

Mike C
    BPL Member

@mikeclow

Locale: Rockies

Will, thanks for sharing your ideas on Mountain SUL and reviews of appropriate gear. They've inspired me to cut some weight. I'm thinking of adding the Caldera Keg F to my cook kit. Does anybody know if the lining of a Fosters beer can contains BPA?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools