Topic

Calder Cone & Starlyte stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Calder Cone & Starlyte stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a CC Sidewinder stove and, of course, the TD alky stove that came with it. But I've been hearing good things about the Starlyte stove.

Has anyone used the Starlyte in a Calder Cone?

Will they work BETTER than the 12-10 TD stove?

My small Ti Sidewinder (for 3 cup pot) will likely be low enough to use the original Starlyte.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Mine does!! Love it love it love it. Primarily because it fits in the pot (both the .6 and the .9 L evernew short/wide pots) and I don't seem to need the stakes. So now instead of carting around a whole mess of stuff for my cookset, it all just fits in the pot very nicely.

I get excellent boils with only about 1/2 oz of fuel, it's easier for me to light, it won't spill, and I can EASILY save fuel once my water is done. No need to just let the darned thing burn itself out….

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I second what Jennifer said…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thinking about this too. Has a version just for cones.

Edit: Just placed order for modified burner version.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It works great, you just need to lower the pot to the height the Starlyte was designed for. You want about an inch between the stove and the bottom of the pot. Depending on your setup, you may be able to simply omit the stakes.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

But what about fuel weight on 7 to 8 day trips?

Will it amount to more weight than ESBIT (1 1/2 tabs per day, generally)

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

For me, yes.

On my last trip, I took 40 ml's of S-L-X per day. I used 25 ml's for dinner, which was easily enough to bring 3 cups of water to a boil, and 15 ml's for breakfast, which was easily enough to bring 1.25 cups of water to a boil for a cup of joe. And of course the cool thing is, once the water came to a boil, I could blow the stove out and replace the lid, then use the remaining fuel the next time.

Considering this, for 8 days, I would carry 10.7 oz of S-L-X. If I carried Esbit, I could carry a full oz per day and still only be up to 8 oz total. I could even carry 2 extra tabs just in case, and still only be at 9 oz total. However, if I used the 4 g tablets, I could even refine it better, and still carry less weight in Esbit. I would carry a 14 g tablet for dinner each night, which can boil 3 cups of water, and 2 of the 4 g tabs for breakfast each morning. This would be a total of 112 g in 14 g tabs, and 64 g in 4 g tabs, for a total of 176 g, or about 5.95 oz. Just say 6 oz… :)

I could also probably get away with only boiling 2.5 cups of water each night, and only bring 20 ml's per dinner, which would drop the total S-L-X weight down to 9.4 oz for 8 days, however, I like having about 3 cups of hot water so I have enough for dinner & hot tea.

Also, the 25 & 15 ml figures do have just a little bit of extra built in already, so there it a good chance I may come home with some fuel left over too… unless I spill it or something.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I am toying with both right now. I began with esbit and didn't intend to try alcohol, but I just can't endure the odor that comes from the stuff. Even in double zip locked bags the foul smell (rotten fish) seems to permeate everything. Right now I am dialing in my alcohol kit and the esbit is sealed away in multiple bags that I just don't want to open.

Derrick

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

The 4g Esbit tabs doesn't seem to smell like fish to me, anybody else had this experience?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I wrap my ESBIT tablets in heavy duty aluminum foil and store in a freezer bag. So far the odor has never been a problem.

I do NOT use ESBIT in Yosemite B/C of the "smart bear" problem.

Guess I will try a Starlyte stove. Since I have a low Sidewinder stove (fits 3 cup pot) I'll only need the regular height Starlyte.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Eric, on 6-7 day trips do you carry your water or depend on creeks/rivers etc?

I use only 1/2 ounce of denatured in the StarLyte with the Caldera Keg cone and let it come to what ever temperature is so desires :-) I don't need boiling water. I'm good with 180 degrees for pasteurization.

What diameter and weight is your 3 cup capacity pot?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools