Topic

HMG UltaMid 2 first impression and pics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG UltaMid 2 first impression and pics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Locale: Northern CA

Here is a quick first impression of my new Hyperlight Mountain Gear UltaMid 2. It arrived Thursday about 15 minutes before leaving for a few days with my wife so I didn’t get a chance to check it out until today. This is my second Cuben Fiber shelter as my first was a Zpacks Hexamid Solo + and really loved the way the material worked but am getting too old to have to crawl in and out of my shelter.
    Weight as shipped (everything) 19.7oz
    UltaMid 2 (with perimeter guylines) 17.3oz
    Extra Guyline 1.9oz
    Stuff Sack .5oz

Setup was fast (perimeter guy lines are already installed at HMG) and I used my Luxurylite Big Stik for the center pole (64”). First thing I noticed is the door is on the short end as opposed to the long side like on the Duomid. This will work great when using it with two people as there is no one regulated to the ‘back side’ of the mid and will have access to the door if needed. The two upper vents have flaps on the inside that can be open or closed. So far I am pretty impressed with the shelter but will save my final verdict after using it for a while. First big test will be in Yosemite next month. I have attached a few pictures I took when I set it up so you can get a look at the mid set up.
    mida
    mid1
    mid2
    mid3
    mid4
    mid5
    mid6
    mid7
    mid8
    mid9
    mid10
    mid11
    mid12

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks for posting this. I would have to go around and straighten out the webbing ends on the tie outs. The way they are cut sloppily like that would drive me nuts. Especially for the price.

Would be great to see some photos with pads in there.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Hey Ken
    The next time I set it up I will get some pics with a couple of pads in there to give it some scale.

Keith F

@hamerica

Locale: Northern Virginia

I was thinking the same thing Ken, that does look sloppy. I would like to have seen a buckle or button flap on the zipper to relieve stress but maybe since it is on the shorter side it is not as much of an issue. Otherwise it looks like a nice shelter.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'm talking about how the two webbing pull outs are uneven in length and cut sloppily at the door. Would look at those every single time you enter and exit. Those two at least should be done with extra care. I think for the price paid that it could have been done right. And why no reinforcement buckle like MLD?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I'm just envious you have yours already. I'm about 7 weeks into my 8-12 week wait for my cuben duomid. Sniff, sniff…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It is a fine looking shelter other than my minor nit picking. Hope to see one in person soon. It has a lot going for it. Would love to see a non white version.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Looking Good Richard. I am expecting delivery of mine in a couple of weeks.

Derrick

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

…then I'll be more than happy to take if off your hands so you can spend more moola on the lubbly jubbly white cuben UltaMid, and get it delivered toot suite :-)

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

"I'm just envious you have yours already. I'm about 7 weeks into my 8-12 week wait for my cuben duomid. Sniff, sniff.."

I know that MLD does top notch stuff, but 8 to 12 weeks is insane. That is custom one off turn around times. This is exactly why my money is going to HMG. It seems that HMG is not afraid to hire additional workers when demand requires it. Notice that there are no noticeable wait times at HMG. And yes, I have read about MLD's permutations on their website. Just hire more employees, already.

Jennifer, I'm sure your 'mid is going to be great, just saying.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

On the flip side, it's impressive that MLD is resisting the urge to chase profits. They seem to be quite happy with the size they are and not willing to change that because they could make more money. MLD could meet demand through increasing production (and profits) or by raising prices (and profits), yet they do neither. This approach may serve them well if the industry takes a downturn.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

They just hired another person.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Will that hurry up my mid?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"No, your Mid was redirected to me."

And Dave has agreed to sell it to me.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Richard. Much appreciated. That's lighter than the Tarptent SS 1 fly. New tent to wish for now…
    Anyway, for that price, there's bound to be other cottage makers out there that can beat the price for the same dimensions for a pyramid cuben? BPWD? MLD? Oware?

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

+ 1 to Dan. I was saying much the same to someone in a PM just the other day.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Got a chance to set up the mid this afternoon and got a few pics with an Exped UL 7 extra wide in it to show how much room there is. This time it is set up with a 61" center pole to check it out set up close to the ground. In the original pictures it is set up with a 64" center pole. Even set up low, there is plenty of room at the head and foot ends even on the Exped pad. The ground sheet is a Zpack ground sheet/poncho (twin size) and the bug net is a Sea to Summit Nano.

mid13
    mid14
    mid15
    mid16
    mid17
    mid18
    mid19
    mid20
    mid21
    mid22
    mid23

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I almost got this instead of the 8×10 tarp but decided I wanted to be lighter and just deal with the less protection. But I love tipi shaped tents.

It looks awesome hope your happy with it!

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Rich,

Thanks for the pics. I got notification that mine shipped today. I changed to the Ultamid 2 afterwards.

Curious about the Seas to Summit netting. How is working for you from a setup perspective? Does it have a mesh floor?

Thanks

Derrick

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks awesome!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools