Topic

Solo Shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo Shelters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

OK folks I'm looking for something specific in the area of a new shelter. I need it fully enclosed to mitigate the bugs in western US (specifically Ca and Oregon). So far I have looked at the Zpacks Hexamid Solo and the SMD Skyscape-X. The BPWD Lair has also caught my eye as a possible shelter alternative along with some of the lighter Tarps on the market and their bug bivy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    CG

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Have you looked at any of the Tarptent models yet?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

" need it fully enclosed to mitigate the bugs in western US (specifically Ca and Oregon)."

OK that's one specific requirement. Many fit that.

Do you use poles?

Are you very tall?

Do you prefer side or end entry?

Will you pay the premium for cuben fiber?

Do you have a weight limit in mind?

etc…

Edit: Looked at= narrowed down, gotcha.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

@ Tim yes I have the Squall 2 for when my wife and I go together and its great but i'm hoping for something sub 17 oz for a solo shelter.

@ Ken No I don't use poles (wiling to buy a carbon fiber pole to minimize weight), I'm 5'9", either entry point is fine but side is easier in and out. However I have used a bivy for years and have gotten pretty good at it. Yes I'm willing to pay for Cuben. Yes I want something sub 17 oz hence the reason I narrowed it down to the above options.

If I can't get a enclosed tent that meets these options then I may go with a really light tarp and a bugy bivy. Not ideal but that may be what I'm left with. In that case i would like to go sub 10 oz.

I've been looking at the Hexamid quite a bit and found that you can get the bottom netting cutout and the ground sheet sewn in to minimize weight. This seems like a great option for me.

Thanks
    CG

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It's only 16 ounces with bathtub floor.

not working will post later, but it's a good value for the money.

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

I use a SMD Trekker and love it. Mine weighs just a little under 24 oz. If you can swing the SMD skyscape X, I would recommend their design. Good luck!

J

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'd give some serious thought to a MLD DuoMid + inner net tent. With a cuben mid, you're at about 20-22oz for the pair which is a bit heavier than your goal but you get these advantages:

1) Fast, simple setup with just 4 stakes (super nice when the weather is poor)
    2) Double wall protection from condensation
    3) A lot more space and vestibule area
    4) Outside of bug season you can leave the net tent behind and go out at 15oz fall, winter & spring.

Or get perimeter netting sewn on if you want to go lighter in the summer and heavier the rest of the year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Any thoughts?"

The Skyscape X has worked well for me in the Sierra for 3 season trips. Its major drawback, IME/O, is lack of a zippered entry/exit on the right side. Not only does it render the right side vestibule more or less useless, but it is a royal PITA to get in and out of a right zip bag to pee at night. It bothered me enough to take it to Rainy Pass Repair up here and have the zipper added. I asked Ron at SMD about it and he wouldn't do the mod for me, nor does he have plans to make it part of the production model. Too bad, as it would make the Skyscape X a great tent instead of merely a very good one.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Thanks Jason and Tom for the insight on the Skyscape products.

Ken,
    Why the Duomid and not the Solomid at only 11 oz + 6.5 oz for the pair plus stakes, poles, foot print and lines. It looks as though these units require 2 poles though so that is an additional expense and weight vs. The Hexamid with everything comes in around 17-18 oz WITH a single carbon fiber pole. I'm trying to balance the weight vs. cost. I don't mind spending the money to satisfy my obsession of getting my weight down but i want to make a smart buy.

Michael,
    Please tell me more about the lair……

Do any of you know if there is a new line of products coming out from any of our favorite cottage suppliers that i might be best off waiting for? I currently have equipment to get me by for this season if needed.

CG

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Why the Duomid and not the Solomid…"

With the Solomid, the sleeper occupies all of the floor area so an inverted V setup is required. With the DuoMid you sleep in the back half of the pyramid, so you can use a single center pole to support the mid (you can slightly offset it to make entry into the inner solo nettent easier). Additional benefits of the DuoMid are that your sleeping area is protected from rain fall when you open the door, and you gain a large vestibule area. The DuoMid is cramped for two, but it's an excellent solo shelter, particularly in sloppy conditions when you need a little space. It's a lot of benefit for 3oz and there's nearly no weight penalty if you'd have to carry two poles to setup the solomid.

My DuoMid is a prototype with a few less features and it weighs 11.6oz. It's such a great haven. Simple, spacious, light and strong.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

So I see a combo that intrigues me….

Suluk 46 Bug Bivy 3.1 oz or a BPWD Minimalist 1 Bivy 7.5 oz
    Hexamid Pocket tarp 3.1 oz (10.4 with everything)for a total of 13.5 or 17.9 oz….

Although this is not a fully enclosed tent it is a pretty decent alternative.

I know I'm probably going down a rat hole looking at the tarp combos but in order to make a good decision i think i need to look at the possibility.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

I'm in the same boat as Christopher Gilmore. Just having a ton of trouble figuring out what I want to buy, though I better do it quickly since I sold my 1-man tent. One moment I'm convinced the Solomid is the way to go, next minute Duomid, next minute Hexamid. Then I'm staring at Bear Paw Wilderness Designs stuff. Today I'm in a Hexamid phase, especially since the Skyscape X is not available, but can't decide whether to use the netting or not.

Anyone here wish they didn't get the Hexamid with netting? Or, is everyone with a Hexamid generally happy with the netting? How's the perimeter netting–does it work–when it comes to the Solomid?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Its worth checking out the Tarp Tent Notch and Stratosphire, I have used the Stratosphire for the last 18 months and
    really like the space, I find it has far more headroom than the Duomid.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Stephen,
    Aren't those both rather heavy shelters compared to the ones listed?

CG

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

To me they are lightweight, but then again are they are not cuben.

josh jordan
    Spectator

@jjchgo

i have the bpwd lair and absolutely love it. the price was right, the weight was right, set up is easy enough. it was really an easy choice for me. if you have any specific question feel free to ask and i will do my best to answer them.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Did you get any options with your Lair, like netting? What does it weigh with options, assuming you got some? And how's its construction? It's cheaper than the Hexamid so it is enticing.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Check out Lightheartgear.com

They have excellent large one person tents!! I have used several and have never been disappointed.

josh jordan
    Spectator

@jjchgo

i got it with the side netting but still floorless. the construction is flawless. i have all my weights on my work computer. i will get the weight for you tomorrow.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Well, while it isn't exactly "fully enclosed", I thought I'd post a link to my shelter since perimeter netting and Hexamids were mentioned. Here's my modified Hex with zippered door and perimeter netting: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62945&skip_to_post=567295#567295 Perhaps it'll give someone an idea….

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Rusty, That's pretty cool looking. Did it work in terms of increasing the storm and bug worthiness?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Ask bpwd about it, it's a great shelter because it only takes 1 pole and I'd surprisingly roomy, if I had to I could fit two people in mine I'd there was a rainstorm. It's bigger than the hexamid solo.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I'm very happy with my Gossamer Gear The One. Unfortunately they are taking their time in getting the redesign back to market.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Christopher,

Thanks. I've used it a number of times since those mods but in seasons that bugs were not bad. I've only been rained on twice too….both short rains. Obviously, it's going to be heads and shoulders above the stock Hexamid when there's wind involved.

That said, there's nothing about it that leads me to believe that it won't work great in prolonged showers….or where the flying bugs are bad…at least in the environments I'm in (Rocky Mountain region). If the crawling bugs were unusually bad, I could see wanting more than a perimeter skirt. I just don't see a lot of those bugs that are bothersome where I go.

For my needs/wants, it's damned near perfect.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Josh,
    Can you throw up some pics of your Lair?

CG

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools