Topic

Good overnights near(ish) to South Bay (San Jose) area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Good overnights near(ish) to South Bay (San Jose) area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Greg Whalin
    BPL Member

@gwhalin

Locale: Hudson Valley, NY

Hey all, I am in the bay area for a few months for work and looking to do some shortish (overnight or long weekend) backpacking trips. I already spent my first weekend in Big Sur and looking for any other good suggestions from locals (or otherwise). Obviously drive time is pretty critical as don't want to spend majority of trip in a car.

I am also hoping to do a longer (hopefully 4 nights) trip in Trinity Alps prior to heading back home (I am originally in NYC area). Thanks all!

gw

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Henry Coe SP (30+ minutes away) – everything, where BPL members go to get in ready for the Sierra season. LOL
    Ohlone Wilderness Trail (30 minutes) – long weekend
    Big Basin SP(1 hours) – possible overnight or do the Skyline to sea as a long weekend
    Muir Woods NP (1.5 hours) – overnight
    Point Reyes NP (2 hours) overnight or long weekend
    more Ventanna/Big Sur (2hours) – everything
    Emigrant Wilderness (4 hours)- everything

Henry Coe and Ventanna Wilderness are the only place where you can camp where you like in zones far enough away from the park HQ. Everything else is designated campsites, though many are primitive. Curse of living in so populated an area. Emigrant probably closest and logistically easiest Sierra experience from South Bay area.

Also, Carrizo Plain (3-4 hours) is a trip (pun not intended).

Let me know if you need any specifics.

Greg Whalin
    BPL Member

@gwhalin

Thanks and awesome! Going to do a bit of investigating and hit up one of these this weekend!

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

The Berry Falls trail is really nice in Big Basin. There are environmental trail camps at Butano State Park. You can drop your packs and hike over a couple of ridges to Big Basin. Otherwise, besides the sites already mentioned, you need to go further afield.

While you're in Northern California, you should consider the Lost Coast.

Greg Whalin
    BPL Member

@gwhalin

Lost Coast was closed for a bit yes? Hunting some guy who murdered his family? I haven't seen latest on that?

That said, I have been told to go there by many many people, so going to definitely do my best to hit it before I head back east. Looks like I am backpacking every weekend! :)

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Only news I could find showed that the manhunt was winding down and that the area would open May 30.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

So many no-people, no-fee, places to hike and camp it's amazing. I'll recommend Loch Leven (sp?) lakes off Rainbow Rd in, I think, Nevada City Ranger district. Great friday evening hike (including the drive) after work, and then lots of alpine lakes to hike and fish at the top. In the same area, Grouse Ridge, Glacier and some other lakes make for some very nice hikes and offer car camping lots for the friday night park and early Sat. a.m. start.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Reopened on May 31st. Totally different beach hike experience than what you find back east.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Update: I just realized that I've been referring to the whole area around Muir Woods NM (not NP as I stated above) as Muir Woods, when in fact most of it is in fact Mt Tam SP. Hope this clarifies for some people. It is actually the area on the list I know the least about, except I went for 2.5 days with a group a few years back. Definitely not wilderness. LOL More like a very big SF playground. Probably why I never made it a priority to go back, even though it was very nice. There are campsites – with reservations required of course, as in most SP in CA. Still, it is beautiful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools