Topic

zpacks Arc Blast vs Blast? New packs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) zpacks Arc Blast vs Blast? New packs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

So I'm considering geting an Arc Blast zpack and noticed they recently changed their website.

http://zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

I had wrote down that the Zpack Blast was 244g ..but now they have the Blast at 369g. I mean it's only 120g more but what happened?

Since all the packs are hand made they're probably just adding some more default options.

There's also the Arc Blast which comes in at 465g. this pack has a frame to keep the pack off your back.

I sleep in a hammock so I don't have any padding I can use to line the inside of the pack. I was *thinking* of getting the pack with the frame but then again my entire pack is only 13-15lbs with food for a week.

So should I get the one with the frame and suck up the extra weight to prevent my back from getting poked by stuff or should I go with the lighter weight one and risk it…

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Looking at the site more… it seems they bumped up strength (and weight) of the material. Hm..

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

You will see on the webpage for the Arc Blast this sentence:

"New! The frame now has two horizontal support bars instead of one, for more stability."

And on this photo:
    http://www.zpacks.com/large_image.shtml?backpacks/arc/arc_info_l.jpg

The top horizontal cross bar is new an was not on the previous version, which only has one at the middle of your back. I have the previous version without this top horizontal bar. I have not seen the need for it, as there seems to be adequate lateral stability without it. But I am sure that Joe tested this and found that the added structural rigidity was worth the weight. I am guessing that with heavier loads it helps. It might also help load lifter straps actually do something. But I am just guessing. As usual, the Joe will surely be happy to answer any questions with care and timeliness. If you do get a response from him, please post it here, as I am sure many, including me, are curious as to the origins of the design change.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

and it looks like you can make the Zero into the old blast by adding in the options you want:

http://zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml

I got it down to 228g… I think I could hit a 6.5lb pack this year :)

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

The biggest weight difference is that the 2.92oz hybrid fabric is now the default for the Blast.

I tried a Blast vs my Arc Blast at 15lbs. The Blast was comfortable but I vastly preferred the feel and carry of the Arc Blast. It felt considerably lighter on the back, well worth the few extra ounces. I use my Zero in 10-12 pound range and the Arc past that.

If I were you I would probably be choosing between a modified Zero and an Arc Blast.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I'm not a fan of Joe's website changes, or the pictures and the price increases.

op I would definitely get the arc blast, it's a very sweet pack.if I didn't have a small hybrid zero already and I wanted more space for longer hikes and more weight I wouldn't hesitate getting the arc.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I love the Orange Hybrid Cuban. I keep lusting after this pack as a replacement for my circuit which is really too big for my needs. But I keep telling myself I should spend $300 on plane tickets instead of a pack that won't really change how I experience wilderness. Gear Lust might win out.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Based on the cuben zpack packs that I saw on the PCT, I would suggest that Joe probably did the right thing in beefing them up. Unless you really view gear as being disposable and are willing to carry duct tape.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

It's SO hard to make these decisions. On one hand the light weight is appealing but if you go TOO light you feel pain.

I'm actually going with a full length under quilt now (more weight from my 3/4 length) as I tend to run cold in my feet.

This should be a BIG upgrade for me and I think I will feel much better.

This is going to be a TOUGH decisions. Of course I love my REI Flash 45 and the Arc Blast seems more on par with it.

It's DEF going to be nice to have a >45L pack. The 36L in my GG Kumo is just too small.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey, just going to jump in on this real quick…

I have bought probably well over a dozen zpacks backpacks the last few years ranging in all sizes and material.

I have purchased two of the Arc Blast backpacks and I would say that they are probably the best mid-weight backpack on the market right now.

There was a slight increase in weight due to structural changes of the backpack. This change was made on May 27 2013. Along with the structural change came the announcement that they were changing the compression system, and producing the Arc Blast in new colors of the Hybrid Cuben Fiber being produced by Cuben Tech. Check out my post on facebook for further details.

One of the comments on that post is regarding the structural change and indicates the possibility that the secondary horizontal support bar was added to reduce "incidental twisting of the arc frame, which may occur when the top is pulled in and closed up at times when the pack is not fully loaded". I have not confirmed this with ZPacks. I have spent a bit of time with my backpack trying to reproduce this and I am just not seeing what that issue is, but that is not to discount that other hikers may be having that problem.

Oh, and I placed an order the other day for an all orange ZPacks Zero X-Small. Going to be so freaking fun to have a 1,000 cu in (16L) backpack in all orange!! I actually think that this orange cuben fiber could be a very viable option for those of you who do S&R or those who do a lot of winter time hiking. Me… I just like the idea of having some crazy orange backpack LOL

+John Abela

Troy Hawkins
    BPL Member

@ollyisk

Locale: Germany

sbgiobdshofdopgnfpsaognafpsognrs

Of course only a few weeks after I order the Arc Blast, a prettier, newer version is released. Have to think about what to do…I actually paid more for my bag, all things equal, than the new bag because I had the seams taped, which is now standard.

Anyone interested in an older version? ;)

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Troy, if your order is still pending just send an email to them and ask if you can make the swap up to the newer version. My guess is that they would actually prefer to do so, as it means their backpack builders do not have to break out the older template.

Troy Hawkins
    BPL Member

@ollyisk

Locale: Germany

I actually just received shipping confirmation yesterday!

I guess I could always return it. I'll check it out first, maybe it's just fine the way it is :)

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Does anyone think it would be worth sending an older version back to have its seems taped? I know, everyone will respond saying, "it depends on the conditions you will be hiking in." I live in PNW, so chance of some hiking in the rain is high.

I'm assuming ZPacks will do this for a reasonable fee and that the weight penalty will be small (less than an ounce?)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Does anyone think it would be worth sending an older version back to have its seems taped? I know, everyone will respond saying, "it depends on the conditions you will be hiking in." I live in PNW, so chance of some hiking in the rain is high."

Or just tape them yourself. It's super easy and zpacks has the single sided tape.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Agree, but I am lazy when it comes to experimenting with my more expensive gear, having no experience using this tape. Could I do it. Yes. Would it be pretty. Probably not.

I am designing a new homemade wood fired stove, but failure there has no real cost, as I am making it from completely from materials from the hardware store.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thanks for the input John. I've only used my Arc Blast a couple times with o/n loads on the light side. Loving the compactness (smallest pack I've ever had) and light weight, making me use lighter gear all around. I'm tempted now to get a smaller pack for even lighter trips where I will bring more bp oriented stoves instead of oldies from my collection. I already have to roll the top down quite a bit, proving a canister will fit with a weeks worth of food on vacation trips.
    Duane

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I wanted a new pack in the 45-50L range for longer hikes that would be lighter than my current GoLite 50L 2011 Women's Pinnacle. I really love this pack, but it weighs 2 lbs.

I saw the new Arc Blast at the PCT Kick-off. I had been eyeing it for awhile, but i knew I would need custom changes to get the fit right so I waited until Kick-off to check it out. Joe and Matt helped me fit the pack, which was good to get the size right for the pack, torso length and hip belt as well as decrease the shoulder strap width and adjust the amount of "S" curve. They also showed me how to adjust the frame to have more or less "arc." I like that it's adjustible to help arrange pack contents and even fit a small bear can in the lower section.

This is what I like about ZPacks that personally works well for my needs. They are still small enough to do custom work as opposed to other "cottage" guys that are really now small manufacturers and who can't do anything custom.

I also ordered the new cuben orange. I am generally partial to black or dark colors, but my former SAR experience won out and I figured one "international orange" piece of gear would be useful.

Even with load lifters, my new Arc Blast will still be less than 1 lb for about 46L. So I'm happy. I think it would be hard to get this size pack weigh any less and still be able to comfortably carry up to 30 lbs. I have done a good job of getting my base weight down, but there will always be those times when fresh resupply and long waterless stretches will bump my pack weight up over 25 lbs. The Blast is advertised to carry comfortably at 20lbs. For short hikes, that may be okay, but I already have lighter, smaller packs for that.

I am scheduled to get it at the end of June. I'll post a review when I get to use it.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"Even with load lifters, my new Arc Blast will still be less than 1 lb for about 46L. So I'm happy. I think it would be hard to get this size pack weigh any less and still be able to comfortably carry up to 30 lbs."

Well said Susan! There is little reason for anyone subscribing to ultralight principles to be carrying more pack then they need. One pound is THE magic number for an ultrlight hiker.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Just ordered mine last night with some customizations. Joe was great to work with and fast to respond. Can't wait to get it and try it out

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I added two side mesh pockets and a belt pocket, so mine was 17 oz. :(
    Duane

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Every time I read this I picture a Umpaloompa version of Castro.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Funny that you should be thinking of returning it for seam taping. I am currently preparing an order for and Arc Blast and am debating if I will have Joe leave off the seam taping… he says it adds an ounce. I've never had a rain proof pack in my life and never missed not having one… so why the taped seams? Joe says it helps to reinforce the stitching.

bill

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I just received mine a couple of days ago. It's the version just before he started seam taping but it does have the horizontal stabilizer at the top. I added one side pocket and one shoulder pouch. It weighs 16.9oz. That's already almost 1oz heavier than I expected since at the time I ordered the base weight was 15oz and the two pockets were .5oz each. Not sure how much that horizontal stabilizer added. Anyhow, still a savings of 12oz over my GoLite Jam.

As for seam taping, I am fine without it.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Randy, did yours come with the roll top?

If so, how do you like that?

I've been considering ordering mine with the draw cord top…

Bill

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools