Topic

Something that seems new and just different enough to be worth a look see ;-)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Something that seems new and just different enough to be worth a look see ;-)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

My son saw this and passed it on to his dear old hiker Dad.

I have no involvement with this project other than being an interested onlooker and possible customer if and when this product makes it to market.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1484284472/windcatcher-inflates-in-seconds-with-no-power-or-p

Questions that the video brings to mind are…

…how much will the product cost, how much does it weigh and the durability of the pad material.

The placement of the "scat" next to the regular style of inflation valve was a cute idea. LOL

I can see where it would be an advantage for some but in my case the sleeping pad that I use goes inside of my "floored" Lightheart Gear Solo tent and my hiking shoes stay outside.

Has anyone seen this video before? Maybe some of us have backed this project.

I like the physics angle of the air "entrainment" used to inflate the pad. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

scree ride

@scree

Cool innovation.
    A little high priced for unproven technology when brands like Exped sell a similar sized pump that's even more "sanitary". It may well have it's virtues, they're just not bringing up the ones that I'm interested in such as weight, R-value, or durability of the valve. Besides, if I'm gonna lay on the porch, I'll use a chair. Not strong selling points.
    It may just be a case of finding their place. Easier to do if the product is out there where other innovators get a shot at it. Kickstarter is great for that.
    Good find.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

99¢ instaflator will inflate the same way. Without knowing more about the pad, I would prefer to select a pad for its features and a method of inflation separately. My guess is that this pad would not compare well to a NeoAir or Exped in terms of weight, R-value, comfort, etc.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

If you scroll down below the video, they have some specs listed:

Material: 75D Ripstop Polyester internally laminated with Polyurethane
    Inflated Size: 20 x 72 x 3.25 inches
    Pack-up Size: 9 x 3.5 inches
    Weight: 24 oz/ 1.5 lbs (Final pad may be a few ounces lighter or heavier– see manufacturing section below)
    R-Value: 1

Additional Features

Quick Pack: Air Pad can be rolled up and secured with Velcro straps
    Conventional Valve: For releasing air to adjust comfort (fullness)
    Extras Included: Stuff sack and repair kit

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools