Topic

lifestyle choices

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique lifestyle choices

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hmmmmm. I've reached my 50s, no wife, no kids, but 3 great bicycles. And a successful career. And two pensions.

Do you, ummmmmm, like old fat guys? With great insurance?

:-)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

And Doug likes dogs. Go for it Jen!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Doug likes to go all over the country

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Hmmm……

Only if you like old fat chicks whose fashion sense comes from an REI garage sale….

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

"Do you, ummmmmm, like old fat guys? With great insurance?"

"Only if you like old fat chicks whose fashion sense comes from an REI garage sale…."

That there sounds like a match made in heaven…and worth the price of admission.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"whose fashion sense comes from an REI garage sale…."

You say that like it's a bad thing…..

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Doug's not actually fat- its all muscle. Also, his pictures don't do him justice. I'd be more than happy to provide a character reference if needed. Jen, you should take advantage of this golden opportunity. I can chaperone a Midwest meetup if interested.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jen. I have a photo of Doug for you. Doug knows which one.

Doug my Paypal address is…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Jen. I have a photo of Doug for you. Doug knows which one."

JEN! CLOSE YOUR EYES! QUICK!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

YouTube video

David Ure

@familyguy

This is hysterical.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

It's burning…my eyes are burning!!!!!!!!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Doug's fashion sense comes from REI garage sales, he just has everything duplicated in cuben.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ah, methinks love is in the air…

David Ure

@familyguy

Nope. Just gas.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Thought I'd spread a little cheer here…

Gave my notice on Monday; so here it goes…the adventure begins!!! Last day of a "regular" job is July 26.

I've got a great family who is supporting my decision: a brother who makes enough money to not care if he has to deal with a mooching sister for a month or two, my hippy parents think it's cool, and my friends are envious.

I'm jumping off the treadmill. It's a bit scary, but exciting. And if only I can figure out how to do a blog (I have a phd in neuroscience, but can't manage a WordPress blog theme…) maybe I can actually make this work.

Yeah!!!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Good luck, yayyy

Maybe you should do the AT, PCT, JMT or something

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Good luck and have fun.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Congratulations, Jenifer! You'll have a time in your life that you'll never forget, nor regret. Please check in from time to time, so that we can live vicariously.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I've been talking to my wife about picking up a camper van and adopting a dirt bag lifestyle. She told me not to quit my day job.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bon voyage on the next chapter of your life!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Jen, hope you have fun! If you ever need WP advice, shoot me an email :-) Be happy to help. It is pretty easy when you get the swing of it.

On the topic though….
    Maybe I got it out of me early on. I wandered from my late teens through like early 30's before I found what I wanted. Growing up I never had roots. My Dad moved when bored. We never owned a house. It ate at my Mom so badly and profoundly affected her health – he was self employed and they never had good health care. So in my early adult years I found myself mimicking my Dad. Even after I had kid 1 at 24, I kept wandering. He just came along, him and I.

I met a guy who grounded me. He has helped me craft a life for myself. I have lived in a house we own for 9 years, the longest I have lived anywhere. Slowly I found myself wanting more. I built a garden. I painted. I added doors I wanted. I had 2 more boys. Does my mind wander to the days when it was just me and the oldest? Of driving away and being free? Yes it does. But then I realize I don't NEED that. I have a happiness with what I have now I hadn't had before.

When I watch Walker and Alistaire growing, I know my place in life is right. It isn't about reproducing, it is I wanted my 3 boys more than anything else. I have a brother and 2 cousins, born 2 years apart, same age as us. None of them have kids. We have all turned 40 and 42 now. Do they miss not having kids? Maybe and yes.

I still hike and backpack…but my burning desire to be out there all the time has dimmed. And that is OK. My garden calls to me…and so does picking berries to feed to my little ones, to teach them to love the land.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

photo Bridge_zpsa44adb91.jpg

Love all 3 of them. And yes, it is proof you can get out and have kids. It isn't easy, you never see wildlife, but it is still fulfilling.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools