Topic

Favorite Packs of the UL crowd?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Packs of the UL crowd?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

From my experience W/ frameless backpacks (only a little)I'd have to say internal frames are a MUST for any load over 20 lbs.

So-called "frameless" backpacks, even ones that utilize closed cell sleeping pads, usually end up sagging around one's hips after a few miles "shakedown" of equipment.

The very minimal weight of internal stays in a well designed pack pays off in miles of (relative) comfort compared to framless packs.

That said I'm sure someone will soon come along with inflatable tube "frames" and turn pack suspension in a new direction. It's already happened with tents.

Eric

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My favorite answer to people that asked me "what is the best camera? " was always "you would not like it !" I would wait for their jaw to drop, turn around and pick up the top of the line , for example a Canon EOS 1 mark 27, and inevitably the "oh, that is too big/heavy/complex" comment would follow. Next, I would ask them what they wanted the camera for…

Brian
    Never mind what we like…
    What is your size, height and weight ?
    What volume do you need ?
    What weight do you expect to carry and for how long ?
    Do you prefer comfort or weight saving ?

Don't expect an answer from me, because I know very little about packs.( not that that has stopped me before)

Brett
    Here is an example of a loaded question ?
    " Considering that most here use or would like to use a pack from Brian Frankle, that great guy from ULA, what pack would you suggest ? "
    This is a standard, but not particularly ethical, technique used by TV interviewers and usually un-noticed by the viewers.

Franco

Brian Strong

@bmstrong

Thanks for all of the comments. Keep them rolling!

>>Brian. Never mind what we like…
    What is your size, height and weight ?
    What volume do you need ?
    What weight do you expect to carry and for how long ?
    Do you prefer comfort or weight saving ?

None of that matters at this point. I'm just looking for a broad "pimp" of what everybody loves/uses. I'll take it further if something catches my eye. (And a couple packs have, many thanks.)

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I love my SMD Starlite. It's a 2005 model, and I use it year-round. I replaced the hip belt with the ULA belt for the pockets and the extra stiffness, so the whole thing weighs 30 ounces now (with the 2 stays).

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

Golite Jam2 and Pinnacle

Jen Schwartz
    Spectator

@jenjetcity-2-2

Locale: Upper Left

How about top picks for women? I am 5'4", 140#. Transitioned from a traditional/heavy Gregory Whitney to a used Gregory G Pack, but it's falling apart and a bit too long in the torso for me. 2-4 days, three-season, Seattle area, UL but not SUL. Primary gear is BS Evolution 2P, Feathered Friends down bag, POE women's max mountain pad, Jetboil, insulating clothes. I don't know the weight of my gear (which tells you something!), and I'm guessing I'd need approx. 3000 ci. Trying hard to carry less weight with every trip, but will never be a SUL fanatic. Will probably always sleep in a tent and bring along a few unnecessaries like wine (in a platypus). Love features (belt pockets, easy access, etc.) Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Jen

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Jen I would look at ULA packs. Many great options to chose from and their hipbelt pockets are great.

For me I use a Gossamer Gear G-4 on SUL
    my ULA Conduit for relaxed overnighters and my
    Grantie Gear Vapor Trail for multi days and for ski touring I use my old ULA P-2 which has great volume for loads.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Jen,

Good options above for sure.

My wife has a new Golite Pinnacle and she loves it. It's a great pack to use as you step into lighter weight gear. 4000 ci, the important features, durable, and it carries weight well. It also handles smaller loads beautifully.

The Golite Jam2 is very similar and 2800 ci. Another excellent choice. Both are sized for womens' torsos.

The Gossamer Gear Mariposa (or Mariposa Plus for extra durability) is another fantastic choice. And then you get a truly cottage pack and even more trail cred. :-)

All these packs are marvelous.

Best of luck!
    Doug

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

MLD Prophet for shorter trips/weekends and GG Mariposa!! Have not done any winter camping/hiking yet (I ususally hit the slopes) so I am not sure whether both of these packs would cut it given additional weight of gear/clothing (?)
    S.

Jen Schwartz
    Spectator

@jenjetcity-2-2

Thank you Ken, Doug and Sven. The ones I've been looking at are SMD Starlight and GG Vapor Ki. After Ken's comment, I looked at the ULA Circuit as well. All three seem similarly priced with roughly similar features. I will now also look at the GoLight Pinnacle, GG Mariposa, and the MLD Prophet, as I am unfamiliar with all of those. I really appreciate the input.

Henry Liu

@henryliu

Are there any packs that hold up to better durability during rough conditions? I need to carry about 20kgs (45#s) on some 8000m peak trips. Any suggestions?

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

I'll add my vote for the Golite Pinnacle. It's my first frameless pack, and I've been very impressed with it so far. I use a synthetic sleeping bag and like to stuff it loosely, so the Pinnacle's huge volume is a real plus for me. I don't think durability is going to be a concern either — it's emerged unscathed from quite a few briar patches and dense rhodendron thickets.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

The LuxuryLite pack can carry the weight you want to carry, I would consider a back support belt to wear underneath the stock LuxuryLite belt though if you are carrying 45 pounds.

Home Depot sells such back support belts, I used a knife to cut off the suspenders from the belt though.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Amazingly light and all my gear fits well.

High quality construction. Looks great, too.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Re: "I need to carry about 20kgs (45#s) on some 8000m peak trips."
    There are only 14 8,000 m peaks on the planet, and although I'm no expert, I would guess that if you can afford trips to 8,000 m peaks, you can afford custom packs from McHale.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Jen,
    I was assisting my GF with the same choice you are considering, and it came down to the Golite Jam2 or the GraniteGear Vapor Ki Short. Long story short take the Jam2 for 10 lbs or less, Ki for more.
    I have no bias against Golite, in fact my favorite 40 liter pack is a Dawn.

The requrement I was considering was for a true 4 season pack usually carrying 10lbs, but occasionally an additional 10 lbs of mountaineering gear/clothing in winter.
    We decided to go with the Vapor Ki because of the internal tepex frame and relatively comfortable padding and suspension. Transfering the weight direcly to a well padded hip belt and then to the hips, via a rigid frame, is important at those higher (but still UL for winter) loads. Saving about one pound on the Jam2 was tempting, but the concern was the soft 'virtual' frame (ie no frame) placing too much of the load on the shoulders and spine. Ligher, but ultimately less comfortable.

If the loads were always limited to 10 lbs, however, we would have gone with the Jam2.

Jen Schwartz
    Spectator

@jenjetcity-2-2

Thank you Brett. I'm pretty certain I'm not ready for a frameless pack. That's why the SMD Starlight is appealing; I can use the stays at first, then remove them if/when I graduate to frameless. Plus I like a full-length sleeping pad, and I'm not sure I can use that as the "frame" in those types of packs. I tried the Vapor Ki with 20-25 lbs at REI and it was super comfortable. Starting to think about that or the Pinnacle or the Starlight or the Mariposa.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Re: "I need to carry about 20kgs (45#s) on some 8000m peak trips."

IMHO, the ULA's are your best lightweight solution for 45#s and mountaineering durability. This is pretty far off topic though, as most here don't need scrambling or glacier travel durability.

Henry Liu

@henryliu

I've been looking at the Golite Quest as a lightweight pack for my use. I've also seen it for as low as $99 which is a good deal.

The ULA Catalyst seems a tad lighter but recommended only 30-40#s. Anyone care to comment on the Golite Quest vs ULA Catalyst?

The golite gust seems pretty popular but I might be forced to carry more than 30#s.

My Cho Oyu expedition leader told me I'd be responsible for some group gear in double carrys otherwise I'd probably get away with under 30#s (ie the sherpas carry the food, etc).

My first major expedition so not sure what to expect.

Thanks again.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools