Topic

Hey you from that out-of-control-thread move over here and plan a trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Hey you from that out-of-control-thread move over here and plan a trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Really.
    I for one bowed out of a trip this weekend as I am just getting over not feeling too well, and I missed out on hiking with some great people I met through BPL. Once you hike with someone and share a beautiful place, and maybe good food, even if they post something that irks you, things don't get out of control and the tone remains civil. Once you know who is behind that name and avatar, you think twice about lashing out.

I know this isn't a new idea and I know some prefer hiking alone; still, let's plan a few trips.
    There are many of us here in Central California, some lucky ones are heading out to the trail right now. Anyone want to head out next weekend?
    How about in your neck of the woods? Maybe your Internet nemesis would make a great hiking buddy.

Any ideas?

David Ure

@familyguy

You all want to come up to Jasper? I will show you around.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I wish I could!

David Ure

@familyguy

Invitation stands, Kat.

Just don't bring that Ken fella….

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks.
    Yeah, last time Ken wanted come along and snuck into my Ohm the stitching loosened up and I emailed Üla to retur…….oops, there we go.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Kat,

Since moving to US from Europe last year I have been lucky enough to go on 7 trips with other Bpl members, each trip was great.

I am on call for work for the next 2 weeks so stuck at home :-(

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

David, Jasper's on my list. And it's only a few hours from here—-

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Can't go on any trips until after the Gettysburg 150th anniversary. Thanks to my dog's illness and passing, I am way, way behind on sewing my Civil War period clothes. If all goes well, the Granny will be Hiking around the Gettysburg battlefield the last few days of June wearing a long dress, sunbonnet, petticoats and a corset. If it doesn't, she may be wearing dress fabric pinned around her, but still the corset. There are close to 20 miles of hiking trails in the Gettysburg National Military Park. The reenactments are not on the battlefield but on nearby farms (the NPS doesn't want people tearing up the actual battlefield which is, after all, hallowed ground), but I'll get plenty of walking there, too. If I weren't a history nut and my eldest son weren't one of these reenactor nuts, I would right now be out checking snow melt levels in the Cascades!

I will be back July 9 and will start planning backpacking trips (in 21st century clothes) then.

At least being tied to the sewing machine is better than that out-of-control thread! Although I noticed they got as far as mint juleps. Unfortunately Kentucky Derby weekend was several weeks ago.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'm hoping we have another Trinity Alps fall trip.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>stitching loosened up and I emailed Üla to retur…….oops, there we go.

LOL!

I'd come hang with y'all. But I'm far away.

And I always wanted to lash out at Stephen's posts until I met him. Then I just felt sorry for the poor bas**rd and left him alone. ;)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Aw shucks Trav, I have stopped feeling sorry for myself after I met you :-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm not paying for shipping.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ken, I'll reimburse you for half as soon as I'm shipped home.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Trips Planned:

Mineral King Loop 55 miles 6/13-16

Emigrant/Hoover Wilderness/PCT Loop 125 miles 8/9-18

Trinity Alps in Fall w/snap judgement

Any friends have interest please PM me, the 125 mile trip is a easy permit and no bear canister.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I have loads of trips planned, just need to get off my ass and organise them.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have my hands full finishing up the AT over the next year. Next stop, finish up Vermont then move over to NH. I still need to make a noseeem inner and a cuben outer. I'm fearful that I will will holes in the netting when I sew it. Sounds like even the pros have it happen. :) would love to get back out west again this year. Montana made me realize how much I missed the western hiking.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Fall trip in the Trinity Alps is for certain.

That over $4 a gallon is crimping my style at 18mpg. Carpool once I get to the Bay Area at least.

Need to get a commuter car.

Anyone take the ferry from Tiberon?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I wouldn't mind high gas costs so much if I didn't have to drive 4 hours to get anywhere.

Why take the ferry?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I live 10 hours from the nearest mountains, it works out cheaper (and quicker) to fly out to Colorado.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

So we need more trip ideas.

Already mid 90's in the Alps. Yikes!

King Range is back open. Still no sign of Shane Miller. Was too windy for us this weekend. Came back home.

Funny. When we lived in San Diego county we also went camping primarily outside the prime hiking season. Too hot, too crowded.

I wish I could go on Jay's trip. Paid time off and finances, the honey-do list, etc.. Ugh.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Most definitley need more trips, I am only 2 weeks back from Scotland and already getting cabin fever.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I need to get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Mid 90's sounds harsh.
    Anyone interested in a Trinity Alps trip in a few weeks?

I'm heading up to Emigrant this weekend with a couple other people.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Hey you Midwesterners…Jordan River in northern lower peninsula the weekend of June 14-16. Anyone care to join us??

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Jen,

I would love to come along but on call for work.

I am free again from the end of June.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools