Topic

Tarp Size

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp Size

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am looking at tarp sizes and see way too many options. I am looking for a solo tarp, most likely a "flat cut" tarp and not a "cat cut." I would like plenty of room underneath for weather protection and to spread my gear out a bit, without it being crazy large. I am 6'0" tall. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or a link to a really good thread.

Edit: I do not want to use a bivy. Storm worthiness is a big consideration.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Will you be using the tarp in combination with a bivy? If so you can go smaller. If you aren't using a bivy and want to spread out under the tarp I would look at a standard 8×10 tarp. It's more versatile and once comfortable with tarping you could reduce the size.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

If you are just getting into tarps I start with a 6 x 10 foot tarp as the smallest you consider. That is adequate if you pitch it right but you might want a bivy in nasty weather (if you are using a down sleeping bag).

If you don't mind a few more ounces a bigger tarp is a bit simpler to use. If you are under a small tarp you don't have much margin for error. If you are under a big tarp and rain is blowing under or a bit of water runs under the tarp, you just move over a bit.

Ryan Jordan did an article about tarping where he used a square tarp. If a tarp is square you can pitch it in some cool ways like a half pyramid etc. I haven't tried that but I did briefly us a 9 x 9 foot tarp. It was cool because I could pitch the edges right down to the ground and still have plenty of head room. It was a pretty bomber set up for nasty weather.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You could do worse than buy a painter's drop sheet fold it to the size you think it may work, set it up (just tape some guylines to the corners…) try it for size and adjust from there.
    It will cost you $3-5 for the sheet, a few dollars for the tape (if) and a few bits of string…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

8×10 or 9×9 would be a place for one. I'd go 9×9

Franco makes good sense.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

My first tarp was an 8×10. I am 6'1" and I wouldn't want anything shorter. It was wide enough for two people.

I since upgraded to a cat tarp that is smaller, lighter, and pitches way more tight.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Bieng from the north country of NY, I prefer a larger, 9×12 or 10×10 tarp. The winds in a storm can drive rain under a 36" tarp for 36" easily. Even an A frame with one end mounted to the ground can be a challenge to stay dry, sometimes.

I figure the first 1-2 feet (next to the ground) is basically unusable for sleeping. It is too low for anything except gear storage, even with a stick poked up under it. For the next 7 feet, you ar least te sleeping under it. For the next foot or two, is clearence for rain spatter. In wind & rain, the extra width means you sleep diagnal, giving the requisite 3' of clearance. The width means you can fold up your bag, pad and pack under you as a seat and also cook breakfast in bad weather. Packing gear, and loading the pack is easy, except for the tarp. Last thing, the stakes and tarp are roled up and put in your pack's front pouch, ready to go.

In dryer areas you don't need anything like that. I suspect half those sizes will work. But for a week out in the ADK's, I expect two days of rain, maybe three or four. (I have been out for 17 days straight of rain every day.) But rain rarely lasts more than an hour or so. It is miserable to get up wet with your bag half soaked, though.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Take a look at Virga Outdoors' tarps. I just ordered the Wraith and am very happy with the pricing, quality and shape. It has slight cat cuts on the outside edges to keep it tight but not down the middle, allowing me to still use various shapes depending on the weather conditions.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

I have a Lair 2 tarp. Basically just a tarp with one end closed off. Easy to pitch, roomy and handles nasty weather really well. Sadly, they don't sell it anymore.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

If your going to use a tarp you need to be a free thinker… Its all about the pitch style for the conditions. I would get an 8*10 atleast(with no bivy). I agree that heavy wind and rain can make a trap harder to use but if you pitch three sides to the ground and then do an A frame front you only have one opening to worry about. Then you might have to get crafty maybe take a branch and put it over the entrance maybe hang your rain jacket over the opening maybe use a pack liner. Bottom line is tarps work well for people who can get creative and think outside the box. and work well for any conditions…

Take a look at the Rab guide siltarp 2 it comes with Velcro on the sides so that it can be used as a bivy also, should you decide you don't want to set it up. I think its only 14oz.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have had many tarp shelters.
    My summer tarp is often a 5×9, but I usually also use a bug bivy which also adds some weather protection. I hike in areas with lost of bug.

I prefer a 9×9 over an 8×10 because of it's flexibility. The Oware 9×9 especially because of all the tie-outs.

But, I find I prefer some shaped tarp designs anymore. They can be lighter for the amount of protection they provide, easier to setup for a storm pitch and less troublesome in extreme winds.

My favorites are the covered-end A-frame style like the MLD Patrol, GG Spinnshlter, BearPaw and many others. They provide the most weatherproofness per ounce.

But if ultimate flexibility is your goal, the 9×9 square flat tarp can't be beat.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

You could do worse than buy a painter's drop sheet fold it to the size you think it may work, set it up (just tape some guylines to the corners…) try it for size and adjust from there.
    It will cost you $3-5 for the sheet, a few dollars for the tape (if) and a few bits of string…

what he said …. dial it it and the skills … THEN spend the $$$$$ on fancy shiny gear …

;)

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap blue tarp. 5×7 is about $3.00 and the 8×10 is about $6.00. Play around with them in your back yard for a while and then make your decision on a more expensive tarp. When you are finished with the cheap tarp, use it to cover up something in your back yard…like firewood.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

"I prefer a 9×9 over an 8×10 because of it's flexibility" Steven

What can you pitch with a 9×9 that you cant pitch with an 8×10? Or maybe you meant something else by "flexibility".

No sarcasm. I want to know how its more flexible because im thinking about getting a second.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Another option if you are worried about closing off ends of a tarp:

Ray Jardine designed a "bat wing" for his rectangular beaked tarps that closes off one end right down to the ground (he sells a kit). It's very light and you only put it up if you need it. The truly paranoid can bring two of them to close off both ends…in this configuration you can effectively create a tarp-tent where all edges go right down to the ground.

The idea can be transferred to any tarp configuration if you are willing to sew a custom version.

BTW I gather he calls it a "bat wing" because laying out flat on the ground it looks like one.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I think the favor of a 9×9 stems, to some degree, from this article:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tarp_camping_inclement_conditions.html

And, not that it actually makes any difference a 9×9=81sqft and 8×10 is only 80sqft ;)

I find the diamond pitch is easier with a square also.

-James

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Re: 8×10 vs 9×9,

I think I was influenced by this:
    Macpherson

And yes, I find I use the flying diamond pitch more than any other because of the quick easy pitch and 9×9 square works better for me using this pitch.

Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Locale: North GA

I'm having a similar debate about tarp size and thought I would resurrect an old thread instead of beginning a new one.

In an article a few months back on tarping in inclement weather, RJ recommended an 8 x 8 or 8.5 x 8.5 square tarp. Any thoughts on this size versus 9 x 9 square tarp for solo use?

I'm 5'10" and I'll probably end up with a silnylon square tarp (I do not want to pay a premium for cuben fiber). It seems like an 8.5 x 8.5 would be long enough. Bumping up to a 9 x 9 would only add an ounce or so though. Seems like a miniscule difference to me. I'm not sure how much it really matters either way.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Re: 9×9 vs 8.5×8.5.

Not much difference. I'd guess that many 9×9 tarps are actually somewhat less than an even 9×9, but I haven't measured.

The bigger the tarp the higher you can pitch in the rain/snow, but a half a foot either way shouldn't make much difference.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools