Topic

**rule** chose bright colored gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique **rule** chose bright colored gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

You're going to get different perspectives on this. Many people choose muted, natural colors to better blend in.

I do, however, choose bright colors for some of my gear, which comes from my experience back country snowmobiling. It's often hard to find people in dark clothing, even if you're looking right at them, especially if they aren't moving. One guy we ride with wears a neon orange coat, and we can see him over a mile away, even with trees around him. It was a lesson to me, and I always carry at least one very bright piece of gear (often a windbreaker or hardshell) to help me get found if necessary.

Do you have a link for the SAR you are referring to?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

A lot of my winter gear is bright coloured but the rest of it is failry neutral with a few exceptions.

I was wearing an Orange Wind shirt in Scotland recently and I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Aye, Stephen – I noticed WPB jackets were generally offered in much more muted colours last time I was over in the UK. But that windshirt will add peace of mind during hunting season hikes over here…

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

"And you run.

Flinging with reckless abandon. Down the ridge, bouncing off trees, following the voice. And you're drenched in sweat. "How far did I just run, I can't even see me campsite from here?" Could have been 5 minutes, could have been 15, could have been 30. and you see her, where she fell, a woman, in the snow, and a child is crying, and a man, maybe husband swaying, holding it together, and he says, she can;t move. and all you have is your thermos just hot water, it was what was in your hands, when you heard it, and hot water, not even tea, and just your jacket, and your headlamp, "OMG my headlamp!" so lucky, because it was approaching dusk"

I have headed out more than once because of the ominous cry for help. But never once was it my firt instinct to start running/snowshoeing/split boarding through the wilderness with out even having the proper tools to help someone(shovel, knife, lighter, head lamp, GPS). Thats like trying to save some one from deadly rapids by diving in after them fully clothed with no life jacket. And while the color of the clothes might help a little your best bet is going to be the emergency whistle… It doesnt require a line of site to be useful and works at night where it would be hard to see no matter what color.

Edit: To be perfectly honest I am usually in no hurry to head out to help some one at night and the attitude is more like "Ugh im so comfortable and ready to be asleep what asshole is lost in the dark this time?" Usually its people that think they are smarter than they are and people that over estimate there ability(Vanity). Neither of which I have patience for. Obviously this is not the case all he time but its the only circustances I've ran into.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

In before this blows up…

I like primary colors so I gravitate towards brightly-colored gear naturally. But more than colors, I like gear I can afford. My primary pants, shirt, and hat are khaki (yes, I call myself the Khaki Nightmare, truly a sight to behold). My rainpants, windbreaker, and shoes are black. My rainjacket, puffy, fleece vest, ALL my packs, packraft and pfd are blue instead of a more visible red or yellow. My winter bag is light grey and my summer bag is dark green. My hammock is a hideous purple with orange and blue lines, but my tarp is a dark green, so you don't really see the garishness. I do use glowire for my guylines (because SHINY). I have one fleece shirt that is bright red. Almost all these items were purchased used, so I had no say in the color.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Stuart,

You hit the nail on the head mate, I indeed get the orange windshirt for Hunting Saeson.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

In rainy, increasingly snowy conditions, having bright colors for clothes, camp gear, and all sorts of extra stuff is probably wise. In the desert southwest however, I'm more concerned about overheating and UV exposure everyday, thus most of my tops in light tan, gray-silver, etc.. If in a bind in arid conditions, there's my bright red sleeping bag anyways for overnight emergencies (though in the dark, maybe a blinking headlamp may be more appropriate. Perhaps a new Golite umbrella?

David Ure

@familyguy

Sweet Lord, is there a Coles Notes version?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I got halfway through it, and started to wonder if it was generated by an algorithm. I couldn't be sure, but I was certainly questioning if I had been duped into reading a spam post.

The constantly changing fashionable take on Backpacking in cheerful bright colored gear demonstrates the depth of the subject. Especially in Japanese culture. Until recently considered taboo amongst polite society, it is impossible to overestimate its impact on modern thought. Inevitably Backpacking with cheerful bright colors, not camp gear, is often misunderstood by global commercial enterprises, trapped by their infamous history. Though I would rather be in bed I will now examine the primary causes of Backpacking using cheerful bright colors gear. What I call Ultrabright backpacking.

Social Factors

Interweaving social trends form a strong net in which we are all trapped. When blues legend 'Bare Foot D' remarked 'awooooh eeee only my dawg understands me' [1] he must have been referning to Backpacking cheerful in colored gear. A society without Backpacking in cheerful bright colored gear is like a society without knowledge, in that it is quite good, but also like society without booze in that it is quite boring.

Recent thoughts on cheerful bright colors in backpacking gear has been a real eye-opener for society from young to old. Society says that every man must find their own truth. While one sees Backpacking in cheerful bright colors gear inferior to black gear, another may see monkeys playing tennis.

Economic Factors

Do we critique the markets, or do they in-fact critique us? We shall examine the Spanish-Armada model

It is apparent that the influence of Backpacking light likes black, but ryan jordans interest in bright colored gear is strong. He sold red, orange, green, and blue items. What is the secret to its strength? Does not dye add strycturistical integrity ? Obviously interest cannot sustain this instability for long, black alone is insufficient. In the light of this free trade must be examined.

Political Factors

Modern politics owes much to the animal kingdom. Politicians find it difficult to choose between what has become known in politics as – 'The two ways' – 0

We cannot talk of Backpacking in cheerful bright colorful clothes and politics without remembering the words of style icon Odysseus B. Adger 'Political idealists must ideally deal, for I daily list my ideals politically.' [2] I argue that his insight into Backpacking gear and life in general provided the inspiration for these great words. If I may be as bold as to paraphrase, he was saying that 'political ideals are built on the solid cornerstone of Backpacking , and cheerful bright colors gear enhances the cornerstone for all time.

One thing's certain. The Human species liberally desires Backpacking in cheerful bright colors, not grey and brown gear, and what's more human than politics?
    Conclusion

What can we conclude? Well, Backpacking and cheerful bright colors gear parades along man's streets and man waves back. It brings peace, applauds greatness and is always fashionably late.

I will leave you with the words of Hollywood's Courteney Malkovitch: 'My Daddy loved Backpacking cheerful bright colored gear and his Daddy loved Backpacking in cheerful bright colored gear.' [3]

[1] Bare Foot D – Classic – 1967 Stinton Records

[2] Adger – Politics Per Day – 2000 Jinder Publishing

[3] Weekly Backpacking cheerful bright colors gear – Issue 54 – Rhino Media

I look forward to the discussion by people who read the whole thing !

–G.B.–

Edit: I didn't even make it half way. But I responded anyway.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Reading your post gave me a headache.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Many people choose muted, natural colors to better blend in."

+1

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Daniel,

This is a good thing to cover as the hiking season starts to ramp up.

I don't deliberately wear bright colors, but you could add a bright bandana and signalling devices are part of the essentials. I've been cornered into it with some of my gear due to marketing and bargain hunting: my Houdini windshirt is a bright fluorescent green and it was a really good deal too :) I've always thought that bright colors are an excellent idea for kid's clothing. If I'm hiking during hunting season, I'll happily light my self up like a fireworks show.

BTW, the article on the lost State Trooper was from the Everett Herald:
    http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110519/NEWS01/705189797

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

This advice is comletely contrary to the "Leave No Trace" ethic:
    http://lnt.org/learn/principle-7
    "Bright clothing and equipment, such as tents can be seen for long distances are discouraged. Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling; choose earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lessen visual impacts."

Considering the extremely small percentage of trips that end up requiring SAR, I would far rather follow the LNT guidelines. Signaling capability, such as a headlamp with blinking light feature and a whistle, should be more than sufficient.

You are extremely lucky that in your mad dash you did not become a second victim–it sounds as though you almost did! The following is from the Wallet Skill Guide from Medic First Aid International, but it has been taught in every first aid class I've ever taken, including two Wilderness First Aid courses:
    "Rule #1: Ensure your own personal safety! Think SETUP:
    Stop–pause to identify hazards
    Environment–consider your surroundings
    Traffic–be careful along roadways
    Unknown–consider hazards not always apparent
    Protect yourself."

Rather than relying on neon-colored gear (which will offend most of your fellow hikers) and risking your own life when someone hollers "Help," I suggest taking a Wilderness First Aid class. In any such situation as you describe, what's in the area between your ears is by far your most important piece of gear! Certainly taking your pack and emergency gear with you, taking the time to take down your shelter and pack it up, is vitally important in any emergency situation!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

""Bright clothing and equipment, such as tents can be seen for long distances are discouraged. Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling; choose earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lessen visual impacts.""

(following is directed at LNT, not you, Mary)

w-o-o-w

That seems like complete bullpucky to me. I thought LNT was about not damaging the ecosystem beyond the limits of its resilience. My purple hammock (admittedly hideous) is a threat to the ecosystem? Or just to the delicate eyes of nature nannies?

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

This post and the replies made my day. Bob, thanks for your brilliantly hilarious response. I am not sure whether to wear camo gear or neon green next trip based on the varied advice, but I am glad to know that my decision is critical to the happiness and safety of others.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"I was wearing an Orange Wind shirt in Scotland recently and I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb."

Dangerous in some parts of Ireland, but in a land populated by men in wool plaid skirts? Nay! Whiskey was invented to reduce such anxieties. I would fear the freshness of the haggis first ;)

If they had to pick you off the moors, that bright orange might be handy. It takes some getting used to.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

wear what you want … if people complain about your orange patagucci being not LNT … then complain about their big bad SUV they took to the trailhead, all the shipping from gear swap, all that wasted gear in the closet killing the planet … the color unlike their gear and travel habits wont cause cute white bears to die ;)

if you want to wear dark colors go for it … just be aware that people have had issues being found, and some probably never found because they didnt have anything that could easily be spotted from the air

people make their own choices … the bears are very hungry these days =P

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Does this count?

Color of choice

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Dale,

That orange wind shirt will be long gone before I move back home to Ireland :-) I bought it for hunting season in Michigan so the locals wint mistake me for a target.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

As an aside for Eric, who wrote: "wear what you want … if people complain about your orange patagucci being not LNT … "

Sacrebleu! I KNEW you could spell out the word "your!" No more "yr" for you!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

No joke, I had a roommate who had a dark green car in Seattle. He was sideswiped three times because people just didn't see it against all the foliage. In my estimation he was a good driver. I encouraged him to always drive with the headlights on.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Black pack and muted colors for me. Sorry. I've been involved in a helicopter rescue. Pilot could not spot a 3'x5' American flag being waved on the ground. Noise will get you found faster in close area on the ground situation than color will. You followed the sound. Very hard to see red at dusk. Yellow blends in in fall, as does orange. An individual is an insignificant speck in the wilderness. No matter the color they are wearing.

No perfect answer.

LNT doesn't want you to stick out either.

Be mindful out there.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I've heard that International Orange isn't as bright at high altitude? Any experience with that?

In a perfect world, I would have my headlamp blinkin' away.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sacrebleu! I KNEW you could spell out the word "your!" No more "yr" for you!

LOL! +1

puffays are so hawt

bla, bla, bla…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools