Topic

sun hat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sun hat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I am looking for a new sun hat for backpacking. Kinda favor the ball cap with cape style to give my neck and big nose coverage, but will consider all suggestions. A chin strap would be nice, but that can be added after the fact. Would prefer cotton as it is cooler than synthetic fabrics.

thanks for your suggestions…

Bill

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

It's not cotton but I have been using the Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap. Has a removable neck cape. The cape has a chin strap attached. The ballcap has mesh panels in the sides. I did the John Muir Trail without having to use sunscreen so it works pretty well coverage wise.

Not sure anyone makes a similar hat/cape in cotton.

I think the Sunday Afternoon Adventure Cap or a Tilley would allow more airflow than the cape style.

If you prefer a cotton cap you could always use a bandanna as a neck cape with your favorite ball cap.

Ryan

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

A bandanna with a ball cap works great. I prefer a mesh trucker hat with a snapback.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sunday Afternoon Adventure Hat.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"A bandanna with a ball cap works great."

Plus, if it gets cold, you fold up the bandanna and place it inside the hat to provide slightly more insulation.

–B.G.–

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Check out the Patagonia canvas sun cap.
    It's got a longer bill, neck cape, chin strap, and it's made of cotton canvas.
    Sounds like it should hit all marks for you.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

thanks for the suggestions. The Patagonia hat is very close to what I am looking for… though I'd prefer a Velcro adjustment in the back as the buckles sometimes hurt my head…

I like the all cotton because when you're hot you can dip it in a creek and put it back on to cool off… cotton holds more water and breaths better than synthetic fibers… the opposite of what you want when it's cold and/or rainy… a summer hat.

when I'm hammering up a trail in the sun on a warm day I'd wouldn't want a synthetic jacket… or gortex boots…. or synthetic hat… all for the same reason… they're too hot.

bill

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Dr. Shade Long-Billed Sun Cap

Glacier Glove Sun Hat

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Dr Shade hat is nice, but it's not cotton.

thanks for the suggestion though.

maybe I'll get the cotton one from Patagonia for warm weather and a synthetic one for cooler weather..

bill

Rick Sutton
    BPL Member

@rickcsutton

Locale: Midwest

Bill,

I have been using this hat since 2006 on all my summer backpacking trips. I bought the first one from Backpacking Light back when they sold gear and clothing. I liked the hat so much I started to wear it on my outside jobs as a contractor, when mowing the grass, etc, etc. It started to get a bit dirty from all this extra use so I wanted to find another one to keep just for hiking yet Backpacking Light was no longer selling gear. I researched it a bit and found the hat was made by Headsweats. My second hat was identical to the first one except it didn't say Backpacking Light on the front. It has been a great hat for hot summer hikes. Hope this helps.

http://www.headsweats.com/products/Protech.html

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

+1
    Sunday Afternoon Adventure Hat. Great sun protection with wide brim and back of neck coverage!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Rick,

that looks like an interesting hat. is that mesh over the top? if so, that could be a problem for me as I am bald on top…

thanks,

Bill

Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

I wanted a hat that vented very well, based on a BPL members suggestion I got the Hens hell Aussie Breezer and love it. Less expensive than a Tilley LTM8 and breathes better. They come in different mesh and brim materials, I got the one with ultralight mesh. http://killerhats.com/5300.html

K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

I picked one up recently, love it:

http://www.billibandana.com/bolo-page.html

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

nice hat Jani… but I still wonder how mesh would be for my bald head… great for ventilation, but I wonder if my scalp get too much sun?

bill

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

KP… the Billi Bandana looks very interesting…

but the visor looks a bit short… is that your impression?

thanks for a great suggestion…

bill

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

A $3 poly/cotton or cotton visor and a cotton bandanna will do you just fine. The visor breathes exceptionally well (good for when moving through shade with short sunny areas mixed in) compared to an hat, and the bandanna works just fine as a sun shade when worn Foreign Legion style. Lightest (~2.5 oz for the pair), cheapest, and most multi-use (it's a bandanna, remember) hat combo I've found.

Hope it helps!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools