Topic

Backcountry Growlers, Beer!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backcountry Growlers, Beer!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

One word…

Genius!!!

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

Perfect. All it needs is a slight cap mod to accommodate a drinking tube and I won't have to take my pack off every time I need a brewski

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Good luck.

Just calling an aluminized platy doesn't make it a "backcountry growler". Ask me how I know when it explodes.

You need something pressure resistant (more than mylar). I'm going to reiterate before someone starts to wax poetic in defense of this shenaniganery, this if the voice of experience talking.

In the immortal words of Cypress Hill: "Boom biddy bye bye." Adios beer.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Javan, you assume the growler is just an off the shelf platy-clone used for beer. I'm not saying it is or isn't, but the article does state that after the prototypes, the makers spent some time refining the design, and that could include material/design tweaks to withstand that pressure, of course, it could also not.

Its just strange that somebody who does not have any more or less information than the rest of us should attack a product even before they've used it.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

*shrug* fair enough.

I'm not attacking the product, I'm just approaching it with skepticism versus the usual enthusiasm.

I've exploded *many* containers in the pursuit of bulk beer portage. Let's consider them prototypes also.

If this product works, I'll give it props. I saw no mention of overcoming pressure concerns in the article, but admittedly I'm drunk on non carbonated alcoholic beverages at 3:00am EST, trying to finish some pieces for Blade Show in Atlanta this coming week.

It's equally as strange to me btw, that someone would not regard a product with reservations, without having used it, as it appears you regard my cautions, based on experience, to remain doubtful, without the same said experience. Different strokes as they say. In my defense, however, I'll say that I'm not your average "consumer".

Take that for what you will.

EDIT: Just to clarify, regardless of validity of this product, I do *assume* that the vast majority of general "outdoor gear" is grounded in the frivolous ambiguity of *actual* trail usefulness as 99% of the rest of so-called "outdoor gear". Very little (1%) of which has any real relevance to the UL/BPL community. Yes. I'm a cynic. Sorry (not really.).

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Soda bottle+carbonator cap== backcountry growler.

Homebrewers have already solved portable beer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Javan, have another.

Cameron. This is good news for the non DIY crowd. Your beer is better than what they'll put in these I'm sure.

Wait and see I guess.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm going to give it a shot. $60 for a 10 pack. Hopefully the threads are compatible with the Sawyer Filter for water storage.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Ian, we expect a full review! Be sure to leave one out in the hot sun for 8 hours or so, to see if it explodes – but don't use a good beer for that, use Miller High Life or equivalent!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Been selling for months Javan. Guess it works.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Some coffee shops sell by the half and full gallon in collapsible jugs inside of a cardboard box.

These work well for transporting beer and serving too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

You brew it, I'll pack it in.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

From the beerpouch site: "BEVERAGE LOVERS! THERE IS ONE CARDINAL RULE FOR ALL CARBONATED BEVERAGES. PLEASE KEEP YOUR FAVORITE FLAVORS AND OUR CONTAINERS COLD. OUR FAILSAFE DESIGN WILL EVACUATE WARM CRAFT ALES. THE BEST CONTAINER FOR FRESH BEER IS YOUR MOUTH. PLEASE KEEP BEER COLD AND FRESH! VERY IMPORTANT!

Would pose an issue keeping it cold on a high mile day. I also think it's interesting that "failsafe design" and "will evacuate warm craft ales" are in the same sentence.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools