Topic

Any One Using HMG ECHO II Ultralight Shelter System?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any One Using HMG ECHO II Ultralight Shelter System?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I am taking a hard look at this system notwithstanding its price. Are there any BPLers with extended use of this tent? I have read the review and note the downside of price and low head room but am curious to hear someone who has used it for a while.

Thanks

Derrick

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

I hope the lack of replies is not indicative of its lack of use. Hmmmm

Derrick

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Dude. It's been one day.relax. It's also Friday of a big holiday weekend. Maybe some of these shelters will get used this weekend.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Ken, actually he only gave it 20 hours ;)

Regarding the shelter…

It is the most bombproof cuben fiber shelter on the market.

Issues some hikers might have with it:

It is a two person shelter with a single door.

It has a low amount of headroom (I spent months working with HMG, with multiple prototype inserts, trying to fix this and the only solutions were not viable)

It is considerably heavier than other two person shelter

It is one of (the(??)) most expensive two person shelter in the cottage industry. (ref

All that said, what you will get in a HMG ECHO II is one truly bombproof two person shelter. It is probably the only two person cuben fiber shelter that I would take into truly adverse four season conditions. The closest competition to it would be a MLD TrailStar with 2 person insert.

+John Abela

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You might ask Chris Wallace ,I know did own one, here is what he said 3 years ago.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

What are you planning to use it for? Conditions? A couple or two male friends?

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I have one, and I'm about to start on an entire summer's hike with the thing. If you can live with the cost, this is a fine shelter. John Abela's comments about shelter height notwithstanding (he is taller than me – I am 5'8" – this is a palatial shelter for one person, and as he says: It is bombproof. I am from your neck of the woods – more or less – and I certainly understand the Newfoundland climate (and Newfoundland bugs). Two pounds plus pegs is not a heavy shelter for our typical conditions. I do recommend eight inch stakes for the front, rear and corners of the tarp as a good taut pitch can place a good deal of tension on the lines. Hope this has helped.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't have the Echo II, but I have the Echo I.

If I had to say anything negative about it, I would say that the cuben fiber material is slightly heavier than it needs to be. Even if it was a thinner piece, that would not have a great effect on the overall weight.

–B.G.–

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Thanks all for the reply and apologies for the impatience – didn't realize it was less than a day before I bumped.

Chris – I plan to use it primarily for solo expedition trips but have a trip where 2 males would use it for 2-3 weeks. Re conditions, it is would be 3 seasons and sometimes very buggy environments. I am convinced of it durability by the comments here and elsewhere and also my experience with other HMG gear (I have an Expedition Pack). I guess my biggest concerns are the height issue (I am 6'1 with a long torsoe – short legs) and the fact that the tent seems to be somewhat open and wonder how air movement would impact its warmth.

John – thanks for the input. I read your review and it was helpful.

Duane – ever get to Newfoundland for hiking?

Derrick

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

If you are 6'1 you will likely hit your head on the inner – especially if you use inflatable sleeping pads.

The wind movement inside of the shelter is not bad. The sidewalls on the inner are fairly high, plus the foot end is a solid pieces of material and you have the beak on the other side.

In those conditions when there is truly bone-chilling cold wind blowing, just angle the tarp into a more narrow pitch and it will close off a lot of the open spacing (just like any a-frame tarp). You will lose more headroom but such is the nature of a-frame tarps.

+John Abela

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I wouldn't use the inner for 2 big guys. It's fine for a couple that sleeps close or maybe one person and a dog and palatial for one person alone.

Greg Whalin
    BPL Member

@gwhalin

Locale: Hudson Valley, NY

I have been using it for few months now. My only complaint is headroom. It is definitely not a shelter where I feel comfortable sitting up in it (I am 5'11"). Other than that, I am a fan. Plenty of room for 2 and feels downright spacious when I am solo.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools