Topic

The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) – Episode 1: Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) – Episode 1: Gear

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Re Dale's comment: "Other than the weight, that nice Gransfors Bruks hatchet that Ryan was packing is a cool $100 or more."

Um, maybe a lot more, like $160 — at Amazon and at Ben's Backwoods, anyway.

See http://www.bensbackwoods.com/gransfors-bruks-mini-belt-hatchet/

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I loved this video. I love that you could pull it off With a hatchet!!!! I appreciate the time put into making it.

While I like debates, and discussing things like "is this REALLY practical?",
    "but what do you do when _________?", "but your way won't work if _________", Ryan CLEARLY states:

"The idea is to focus on a kit that I use for three-day (long weekend) backpacking between about St. Patrick’s Day and Halloween, on routes that are snow-free.

This introductory episode simply gives you an idea of what I might take on such a trip. It’s not meant to be a comprehensive thesis on SUL gear."

JUST TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS: someone sharing a cool experience done a certain way. There are multiple ways to do some things!!!!

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Even in the stretch of land from Yosemite down to Sequoia, bear canisters are only required by law in a few areas. I use an Ursack, at 5.7 oz and collapsible, and am convinced that I'm adequately protecting both my food and any bears who might cross my path and turn to the dark side if they ever got a taste of what humans eat.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

Have you ever handled one of these hatchets? I have a Wetterlings (the only one on par with the Bruks); incredible tools and a pleasure to hold.

Are they potentially dangerous? Sure. I have friends I wouldn't hand a pair of scissors to, though. It's all about knowing how to use it. And you really could build a cabin with one, if you had a LOT of time on your hands.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Have you ever handled one of these hatchets?"

Gransfors Bruks and Wetterlings are great examples of hatchets, with incredible steel and head profiles, but….

I lived with only wood heat for years and I've swung my share of sharp steel around. The problem with hatchets is that a user will have their hand in harm's way, or try to use the tool for heavier tasks than it was designed for. An inexperienced user who is tired, dehydrated, or on the edge of hypothermia (or all the above) is a poor candidate for using a hatchet. Small hatchets can bounce and ricochet in unskilled hands, especially with springy green limbs.

On the other hand, a folding saw is about 1/4 the weight, 10% of the cost and will cut small diameter wood in a hurry with little chance of the user gashing their shin open or lopping off a finger (yes, someone will still try).

If it comes to emergency shelter making, I can do it much faster with a saw. I can cut some big stuff by simply cutting from two directions. If I need to get to the dry center of a dead limb, I can cut part way through and peel it back to split it.

In the video, Ryan is splitting off small sticks for tinder. I can easily to the same with a $12, 4oz Mora knife and a stick, with my hands completely out of harm's way.

Jane Freeman

@janefree

Locale: Paauilo

Yes, to each his or her own. I happen to like all of my digits (all ten and not to mention counting those on my back. ) especially in the backcountry miles from an emergency room. Hatchets like guns to me are capricious. Fire safety is also huge and I imagine this is addressed.

I write this from an older female perspective. For A younger man especially extra pounds are more inconsequential. (I recognize this offsets fuel) For me cooking over a wood fire, soot just gets everywhere no matter what. Clothes, gear, face. Ugh! I just find the clean up time consuming and impossible. So just a preference.

For survival or the comfort of a fire, a wood cutting tool is excellent but I would personally choose a lighter more controlled saw tool as suggested.

Not sure the woods is a safer place with hatchet wielding and advocating more open fires.

Gary
    BPL Member

@grozanc

Hey Ryan,

Loved the videos. In future episodes I'd love to see your techniques for packing up and cooking with just the bivy while its raining.

Thanks,
    Gary

mark henley

@flash582

At last! Ryan has said the magic words!

It's just a number …… Who cares if your pack is 4 lbs, 5 lbs, or 6 lbs …..

SUL is really about simplicity even more than pack weight. Ryan has achieved the 8th level of zen lightness …. A master of lightness …. Thank you for sharing your continued wisdom.

I use a simple DIY hammock these days with a poncho tarp. I discarded the whoopie slings and changed to 3 ft pieces of amsteel with fixed loops on each end. The tree strap passes thru the fixed eye and works much like a truckers hitch …. Simple, light, effective and easy to pitch at the end of a long day. Tied off with a half hitch. Throw in a 6 ounce thin 40 inch wide pad …. Sleep in blissful slumber. Patch kit not required.

Keep everything as simple as possible, leave the coffee press, espresso makers, campfire toasters, and complicated whatsits at the house …. Take your cell phone if its needed, but turned off, and in a ziplock in the bottom of your pack. Learn to use a knife like a bushman …..

Enjoy the sound of the world, the view of the stars, and the hearty laugh of a companion around a campfire, or enjoy your solitude.

Thank you Ryan.

Charles Tufankjian

@ctufankjian

Locale: New Hampshire

A little late to the party here, but does anybody know what kind of flashlight that is?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a single CR123-based LED light like the Fenix E15 or Olight S10. It looks too fat for a single AA model.

Charles Tufankjian

@ctufankjian

Locale: New Hampshire

I think you're right regarding the battery size. It's definitely not one of the models you mentioned though. However, I just ordered a Fenix E15. Its my first CR123 light. I think I'll be happy with it.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Just rewatched this video – It Made Me Smile. Love the throw the pack up and out of the frame shot at the end!

John DeMorris
    BPL Member

@bulwyf

Locale: West TX

What a cool video! In time I hope my skills and comfort level will allow me to go that SUL. Also I don't feel so weird for wanting to take a hatchet with me when/where "No Burn" isn't in effect.

Bryan
    Spectator

@noblebear-2

Do these videos exist anymore? I am having trouble viewing them. I am log in and I refresh the screen. I have reached out to the websites help desk and going on 3 month now without an answer, I still can not view these videos. What gives?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have looked on Vimeo as well since they were there for a while. No trace now.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Oh bummer. That’s sad, I remember this one, was a great video :-)

Josh Durston
    BPL Member

@superj

Would love to watch the video?  Must exist somewhere?  BPL should have a video section.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools