Topic

COUPON FOR MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) COUPON FOR MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

my membership here expires tonight.I havent found any working coupons online.Any ideas?Thx

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

;-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Never.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If you take PayPal I have a coupon code for only $20.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

paying to post or for shared info is a little weird on a msg board.I understand for newspapers and the like.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Plenty of people think that they could create something like BPL for next to nothing and therefore charge nothing for it.

I am still waiting to see one doing it.

Of course I know that the same people don't have the time because after all time is money, isn't it ?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Tomorrow you'll still get to post, but you can't list on Gear Swap and you'll miss out on the member-only articles.

Last summer I gladly renewed because I realised I'd learned – and saved – so much more than in subscribing to Backpacker magazine. I keep getting invitations to resubscribe to BP mag for a pittance, but why would I? This summer I'll re-up for BPL without a second thought. The value is here, in the content and in the connections you'll make and the advice you'll receive.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"…paying to post or for shared info is a little weird…"

And what does your cell phone plan charge you to talk to your GF? Per Minute?
    And what does the power company charge for the "shared" transmission lines for electricity?

So who should pay for the disk space, the power to keep them spinning, the AC to keep them cool, and the 5G internet pipe to shuttle the info in and out? Oh, it's "not much", you say… neither is $20. Just skip $tarbucks twice.

Just saying…

David Ure

@familyguy

"Tomorrow you'll still get to post, but you can't list on Gear Swap"

Yes, actually you can.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Hmmm Dave, funny I could have sworn they said they'd firewall initiating threads on Gear Swap for annual / lifetime members only.

Oh well, still doesn't detract from my comment about the articles. Sure, some weeks they can be a little wide of the mark, but then you get absolute crackers like the filtration systems reviews from last summer, satellite voice/data/text/emergency devices recently, and (hopefully) the current set on SUL for mountain conditions. These are what I subscribe for, as opposed to product placement under the guise of reviews that has corrupted the conventional publishing industry.

And don't discount the contacts you'll make here. Some of the folks I've met here are trusted friends.

Last comment – the more you contribute to the knowledgebase, the more you may wish to help keep the lights on.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

This isnt about being cheap its about budget priority for me.I will spend money on high-end items i need.I like this site a lot but there are others as well that dont charge.
    I dont waste money on starbux,hitting the bars and i use a dumbphone with no data plan-this alone saves me thousands.My income is crap but i still donate money and volunteer time to charity.On principle I have to draw lines and prioritize where my money goes:healthy food,quality gear,everyday clothes,and out of control health insurance premiums.Thats life on a budget.
    I paid the sub last yr so i could sell some gear but for me that didnt work as well for me as it does on CL or ebay.I also bought a nice Tarptent here so another member benefitted from my purchase which in turn may benefit bpl-so in a roundabout way that is my contribution.With money all the dollars add up just like bping and cutting the ends off toothbrushes to save ounces.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Looks like it is time for a big bowl of popcorn.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I guess that many people look at it that way. You post to make money or maximize your investment in BPing. Others see a lot of value in the articles, past and present. Of course you can participate in most forums, whether a member or not. The simple measure of charging for membership keeps spam low. If you see no value to anything else but gear swap, dont re-up. Hiking, fishing, climbing are all examples of outdoor activities you can enjoy without membership. For myself, I think the value lies in the very experienced people here, the staff, writers, and membership. Gear swap is a distant fourth and by itself not worth the cost of membership. I fully agree with you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Spend $5 on a F membership. Still can post on the forums.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I think the backpacking magazine forums are free, supported by corporate ad money and donations.

Zero dollars. Backpacking forum.

Problem solved, take your account somewhere free.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

the snarkiness and hostility of a lot of posts here reflects the same immaturity of free sites-a paywall cant even stop this.Its kind of surprising because i havnt seen much of it here.But then again i only look at a few sections here.I dont know if they have an off topic or political section here and am not interested either but those threads usually spread this behavior to other sections of a website.
    FYI,this site's owners accept and redeem coupons so what is offensive about asking about that?People need to grow up and/or get offline for a breather if they are so anal about harmless querries.

David Ure

@familyguy

I received a coupon a couple of years ago for $14.99. I am trying to remember where I got it but I believe it was from a BPL staff.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Have you tried some that can be found by googling backpacking light membership coupon ?

I found a couple that work ! I used this new tool released in the 90s, google, maybe you heard of it ?

$5 PayPal to save yourself the trouble of using google.

I'm a d!(k, but you're the guy asking other people to hand you a discount. I spent my time. I found a discount. Pay up or don't. MLife, no need here.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I'm a d!(k, "

Cameron, is that what you are calling yourself now? I thought that identity thief was much more to the point.

–B.G.–

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools