Topic

Gear Confessions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Confessions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Bless me Father Hiker for I have sinned.

I have put aftermarket side pockets and a Wet Rib on my pack. (Yes, I have an organization fetish Father.)

I sleep on a FULL LENGTH Thermarest ProLight pad. (I crave comfort at night – mortal sin)

I have brought alcoholic spirits of the 151 proof variety for consumption. (You're Catholic so that's not a sin. ;)

I use a solo TT Moment TENT instead a Cuben tarp. (mortal sin)

I carry a heavier than a cell phone Olympus TG 1 waterproof camera.

I carry extra AA, CR123 and coin lithium batteries.

My shoes are Merrill Moab Ventiators and not etherial Nike "trail runners".

My pack is an REI Cruise UL 60 and not from Cuben fabric. (mortal sin)

I have no wind shirt but carry an eVent parka for the purpose. (venal sin)

Sometimes I cook over a wood fire (when legal).

I prefer cooking with ESBIT to alcohol. (mortal sin)

I cook with a 3 cup ALUMINUM pot & lid instead of a Ti mug. (mortal sin)

I have a Lexan long handled spoon instead of a Ti spoon. (another mortal sin)

My WM Megalite sleeping bag is wider than most AND it has been overstuffed with an extra ounce of down. (double mortal sin)

Sometimes when in my bag I think impure thoughts of females instead of tomorrow's trail. (venal sin – I hope)

I live to eat instead of eating to live. (venal sin)

My hiking poles are aluminum instead of carbon fiber. (VERY mortal sin)

Please Father Hiker, bless me.

F.H.-> "My son, get thee to the GoLite store and purchase HK gear (Hikingly Correct) and sin no more."

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Once I packed in a pair of jeans because I needed pants for an off trail bushwacking section but wanted to wear shorts for the river section and I didn't own any nylon pants at the time.

Sometimes I carry 2 knives. One is a small neck knife on a lanyard with a firesteel and is my emergency tool if I lose my pack. The other is a mora that I use often for splitting kindling and cleaning fish.

Sometimes I carry a 6lb rifle while backpacking and shoot cute fluffy forest animals and eat them.

I have carried a 26 inch axe backpacking in wet/frozen conditions and actually used it a lot.

In cold weather I hike in running tights (without shorts over them).

I prefer old wool sweaters over fleece.

I love leather shoes.

I hike in a cotton t-shirt 90% of the time, even in cooler weather. (and it hasn't killed me yet)

I almost always cook over an open fire on bare dirt in a place without a fire pit (don't let the LNT Nazi's find out!) and didn't even own a stove until recently.

And finally… I actually don't care at all about my pack weight as long as its under 25 pounds (gasp!)

My sins are unforgivable.

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

You should be ashamed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This should be in Chaff. That's the real sin. I did not know that Eric had so many issues.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Eric, you and I can burn in Hiker Hell together. Coincidentally I already live here, it's commonly referred to as Kansas.

I sleep on a FULL LENGTH Thermarest ProLight PLUS pad.

I use a silnylon pyramid instead of a cuben fiber one. I don't have $300+ to spend on hiking gear much less just a shelter.

I carry a heavier than a cell phone camera. Last trip is was a Nikon D300. In a couple of weeks I plan to carry an Olympus OM-1 and a few rolls of film.

My pack is made from Dyneema X and not from Cuben fabric.

I prefer cooking with ESBIT to alcohol.

I have a folding lexan spoon. And its lighter than the Ti spork it replaced.

My hiking poles are aluminum instead of carbon fiber. And I've beat the crap out of them for the past 7 years and they still work.

I prefer synthetic insulating clothing to down.

I use the same pack for overnight trips and longer treks.

It feels good to get all that off my chest.

Adam

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I use a full length Thermarest Prolite also, as it still fits into my overall UL weight goal. I tried the closed cell foam options (Ridgerest, Z-Rest), but the lack of decent sleep sent me back to the Thermarest. I can go much farther and faster (or slower and more comfortable) on a good nights sleep. Some people can sleep on CF, I cannot anymore.

I also use aftermarket side pockets.

I use lightweight running shoes ($25 Big 5 specials) because they are more comfortable on my feet and breathe better than other options I've tried.

Carrying extra batteries is prudent and not against the UL code

ESBIT is lighter than alcohol, so you have not sinned. The alcohol people are the heathens on this one.

Although technically heavier, my long handled Outdoor Products lexan spork from Walmart weighs the same .1 oz (and would so if I cut the handle as well) on my scale as a small frozen yogurt spoon and its much easier to dig food from the bottom of a bag with. Its also also lighter than a Ti spoon and will likely last me as long or longer.

I don't eat pre-cooked dehydrated foods (as opposed to cooking on the trail) because they are lighter, I do so because usually I don't feel like cooking after a 15-20 mile or more day and because well made dehydrated foods taste just as good (yes, they do). That being said, I do sometimes cook on hikes.

I sometimes carry a larger Victorinox Camper SAK in addition to my tiny Leatherman Style, as it has some features that I frequently use.

My thoughts of the the next day's section of trail while in my bag stem more from my love of hiking beautiful trails. Those that are of female companionship are of my wife (who is quite hot, but does not do overnight hikes) and stem from my desire to remain faithful to her in my thoughts as well as my actions.

I actually see very little on your list that truly goes against sound UL practices. Except for your pack and your pad, its all UL. I realize that it is more of a jab at those who will go to any lengths to shed weight, but you are confessing many things that are not true UL sins.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Gentlemen,

Your "sins" are forgiven. The Gods of the Trail absolve you as long as you are having fun on the trail. That's our goal and axes, saws, and other such heavy items are sometimes necessary. I remember in the 70s using a saw to trim branches on a bushwhacking portage in Quebec so we could get our canoes through the bush from lake to lake. It was a hellish portage.

Actually I was poking fun at "fashionably" UL folks but really they are the ones who are trailblazing for the rest of us. Their style gradually becomes our style as we all evolve towards lighter packs. Our wallets also "evolve" to a lighter state. ;o)

Yeah, a Ti spoon seems to me to be more a fetish than using an equally light (and cheaper) Lexan spoon. And at my senior age I'm ALL for a good night's sleep on a Thermarest. Aluminum pots spread heat better than Ti and wide pots ae more efficient than tall mugs so fuel weight is saved. But regardless of cooking efficiency we all have our own style. None actually "better" than others.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I always carry the essentials

I carry a framed backpack

I carry two knives

I carry redundant fire starters

I carry a first aid kit with more than 5 items

I carry a "full sized" sighting compass, and maps too

I use fleece clothing

I use a synthetic fill sleeping bag

I often sleep in a hammock with all the bells and whistles

And I have no remorse whatsoever!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Run for the hills! Or get to the battlements! It's a BPL coup!

I've enjoyed this thread, being a fellow sinner. Well actually a flip flopper since i'm still very much in experimental stage, sometimes super ultra uber duper light and other times i just don't give a flying duck, and rarely, rarely do i ever care what others socially think about me either way.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I use a torso length foam pad and a sleeping bag rated at least 20 degrees too little. I bring nothing but shorts. I eat (almost) all CLIF bars and dried fruit/nuts to save time cooking and save weight. I leave my boots at home.

But I still carry my DSLR, and I still sometimes throw my Leatherman Wave into the belt pocket of my pack for 2-3 hours before I leave for my hike, and each trip I get closer and closer to actually bringing it…

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Decided to delete this post.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

It is about Eric straying from the UL Religion. He is entitled. May all of us be alive, kicking, and backpacking when we get to his age.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have hiked in jeans many, many times.

Go ahead and crucify me now.

Also I carry extra batteries instead of changing them out every trip to save money.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Nick,
    Your words "UL Religion" is a very apt term. Some of us get so enthusiastic about the latest gear trend that we are blinded to better functioning gear. The latest trends become a religion to "True Believers".
    (Ex. Strict ULers prefer tall, narrow, inefficient Ti mugs v.s. "unfashionable" wider aluminum pots that spread heat better and use less fuel.)

And yes, as an ageing former XC ski jock I DO need that full length ProLite mattress at the end of a tough day on the trail. And I do like to take "IB-lieve" (Ibuprofen + Alleve) when my muscles cry out in protest at the end of that tough day.

But I gotta say, with the new BPL series on SUL mountain travel we can see where gear is heading for the future. I'll still opt for eVent rain mitts instead of Cuben mitts, and I'll take light Dyneema reinforced pack fabric over Cuben packs just because I appreciate the "hand" and looks of fabric over Cuben laminate material.

I guess for me it's partly being lightweight and partly having gear that is durable and has a bit of "eye candy" to it. Call me crazy but I prefer gear that blends with my surroundings and doesn't feel like plastic.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Your opinion is not objective either. A while ago here was a guy stating that carrying UL gear makes people weak. So he prefers to take a full load of 40lb just to be sure he is not weak :)

What are you stating here is just that all recent develop of backpacking gear is worthless. Well, I'm completely disagree with you. Yes, certain things maybe didn't work for you, so what? If I boil water, why do I need your fancy and heavy aluminium pot for spreading heat? And why does it use less fuel?

You don't like cuben fiber. Well, reasonable. I hate milk.

The guy here who hike with jeans. Yeah! If this makes you happy go on! But what if you get your ultra heavy jeans wet? Does it restricts your movement? have you hiked 20 miles with it? For 5 days?

Really. There are things that make sense. But here I see a list of really meaningless stuff that come from an old-school guy.

The only thing that came into my mind when I read your post was: WTF?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I thought it was a rather tongue-in-cheek look at those who don't drink all the Kool Aid. Sometimes the UL mindset can be dogmatic and conformist, and I think that can turn people away from the concept in general. Ultimately it is a hike your own hike world.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"The only thing that came into my mind when I read your post was: WTF?"

Interestingly enough, that was my response when I read your post as well but I admit I may have to steal that cat picture from you!

Eric,

I wore hiking boots last weekend. I feel so dirty but in a good way.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I am disappointed that Eric did not disclose what pencil he uses.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

I had a coworker who was perfectionist. OMG. Everything he bought was a top notch thing. Yes he wasted a lot of money. But it made him happy. Have I judged him? No.

Let people choose how to spend their money.

I'm kinda crazy about photography. So I took my D80 + some lenses… So this resulted in 7lbs. Sometimes I took my heavy duty Monfrotto tripod that weigh 6lbs more.

Now, after joining this amazing community I learned a lot. Now I'm taking Sony NEX + 2 lenses which weigh 800 gram including everything. 3 times at least! The quality of p photos stayed the same.

I'm considering myself UL backpacker.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

:D

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Nick,

I think Eric takes 10-20 pencils to be sure he have enough of them for 3 days hike. On longer hikes (up to 5 days) he also take pencil sharpener. Since he is in fashion with old *good* gear he takes this heavy duty sharpener:

which adds another 4 kilos to his total weight.

On hikes over 5 days his gear list contain also an electric sharpener + some extra AA, cr123 and button batteries he told us about. He take some 8-9 kilos of these I think.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The best UL pencil sharpener is the Palomino Blackwing Long Point Sharpener.

Palomino Blackwing Long Point Sharpener

http://www.levenger.com/Reading-17/Clips-Cutters-and-Tools-194/Palomino-Blackwing-Long-Point-Sharpener-Core-8373.aspx

Pencils and the shavings make great fire tinder, so dual purpose and survivalist :)

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Why not something like this:

???

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

strong vibrant religions by their nature tend to be somewhat intolerant of infidels and heretics … stuff like crusades, jihads, inquisitions, discrimination …

is UL a religion now ;)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Eric, I hear you. There was a question on an article this week asking about bear cans and SUL and Ryan's response was just add the two pounds, it's still SUL. I'm not proposing hard and fast arbitrary limits b/c those are ridiculous and drive poor decision-making in efforts to "make weight." But if it truly is a philosophy and not a secret sub-X-lb club, why is the series billed as SUL/M-SUL? People have mentioned a series years ago that was basically the same thing but with "UL" equipment. The new series has already said that developments in gear are what's responsible for allowing "SUL" weights in less than mild conditions. So it's an update of the prior series, not a whole new concept being introduced. But the choice of vocabulary (acronym, really) suggests there is a fundamental difference between a 7lb three-season mountain baseweight and a 11lb three-season mountain baseweight. For some people, that might be the case. For a lot of people though, I suspect the difference is about $1500 (~$500/each on cuben shelter, top of the line quilt, and sub 8oz/piece raingear and insulation). I'm not knocking the articles; they've been interesting and thought provoking so far. But I'm not convinced that M-SUL is in any way fundamentally different or better than plain old UL.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools