Topic

One pot breakfast burrito

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition One pot breakfast burrito

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

I was just experimenting with making eggs in a narrow pot, here's a recipe I came up with:

Ingredients:
    2 eggs
    2 tbs shredded cheese
    2 fully cooked sausage links, cut into 8ths.
    4 pieces fully cooked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch squares
    1 flour tortilla
    1-2 tbs salsa
    1 tbs olive oil or butter

Spread olive oil over bottom and sides of pan. Put pot (I used the GSI Minimalist, a non stick, wide pot will work even better). Scramble eggs, meats, and cheese together in pot. Turn stove on low heat, and place pot on stove. Mix and stir as you go, mixing especially frequently after about 2 minutes. 5 minutes later, or when the eggs are fully solid, remove from heat and add to tortilla with salsa. Bon apetit. Serves 1.

This is the first affective recipe I've found for making eggs in a smaller, narrow pot. Make sure to use enough olive oil or the eggs may stick to the pot badly. The beauty of this recipe is that all ingredients (except tortilla, salsa and oil) can be combined in a ziplock and frozen before leaving, and they'll be thawed and ready by the first morning.

Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

How do you carry eggs while backpacking? Must it also be very cold outside?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"How do you carry eggs while backpacking? "

Very carefully.

>"Must it also be very cold outside?"

No. Eggs are okay at room temperature for quite a while. My wife went car camping with another doctor while on a clinical rotation in Zimbabwe and the local doc would bring eggs in one of those plastic egg cartons for a 1-2 day trip. The Landrover didn't even have A/C.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Sounds delicious! I love cooking in the backcountry. Especially a good, hearty breakfast.

Good idea on freezing the eggs/meat/cheese in a ziplock. Also, if you can buy farm fresh eggs that haven't been refrigerated, they don't need to be refrigerated to stay fresh.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'm a bit confused about your freezing of the eggs with the sausage and cheese beforehand. Do you fully scramble them first, before you freeze them? The egg whites are essentially pure protein (albumin), and when you fry the eggs the whites coagulate (firm up and turn white). This is known as "denaturing" the protein. Heat denatures protein, but so do freezing temperatures (and also acids, strong bases, and UV light). So I'm picturing a solid mass of egg white with a couple yolks, sausage, bacon, and cheese mixed in when you start cooking. Yum? But I'm pretty sure that I've never intentionally frozen an egg, so maybe I'm missing something here.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

as stated earlier, go with farm fresh eggs that haven't had their shell's protective qualities stripped/bleached out and you can go at least a week in moderate temps without refrigeration.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

OvaEasy powdered eggs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools