Topic

Outlier Pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Outlier Pants?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Has anyone used them? Yes, they are expensive. I'm thinking about getting a pair of climbers or slim dungarees as hybrid hiking/urban pants. They are the only nylon pants I have found that actually look nice and would fit my body type well.

How durable are they? I wouldn't want to buy them unless they were well made and pretty bombproof. I don't mind the investment but they would need to last longer than most other hiking pants in rough use to justify the cost.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I don't believe there are any BPL members from Bushwick who can comment on Outlier pants.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

What's a Bushwick?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hipsterville.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Scratch that. Pricing on Outlier pants have gone up into the stratosphere, Williamsburg is a safe bet.

Only ribbing you Justin.

I have no idea if they're any good, but on paper they look like they fit the bill.

Eddie Bauer "Uprising" jeans.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Lulz…the entire homepage has a bunch of images "removed at legal request"

I wanted to see just how "hipster" they were based on Eugene's allegations. Well they were formed in Brooklyn when a barista introduced Abe and Tyler to each other who were working on perfecting commuter biking clothes… The company's logo and name (black swan and outlier respectively) are also taken directly from Taleb and Gladwell books (authors focused on topics of exception, the rare and unique, just like every Hipster views themselves).

Wow…the clothes actually looks legit on paper but not worth the price. And I have moral issues supporting multilayered irony or allusion thats so obvious you don't even need the "ous."

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Yeah, the website reeks of hipsterness. I just like the fit of the pants. But I have a hard time trusting a fashion company to make something that will last.

Grzegorz Przeorski
    BPL Member

@grzechu

Locale: Ontario

They are expensive because they are made in America of Swiss woven fabric. I have Woolbacks OG and some others that I don't remember the name. Both made of Schoeller with Nano treatment. Very well made and very stretchy and so far extremely durable. (The Climbers were too slim for me). I'm almost sixty and more of the redneck than hipster. Also I rather support local guy than 83 billionaires in Central Committee of Chinese Communist Party.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I think I will try out the nyco slims as dry weather pants. They are polycotton and made from the same stuff as the m-65 military jackets. Should be very durable if made well. And they are only $98 which isn't bad at all, if they turn out to be durable.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My son-in-law in LA owns a post production studio (Cinelicious) and he is THE "metrosexual" hipster if I ever saw one – skinny jeans, 2 day beard and all.

I'll send him the link to Outlier. He would get it.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Any chance anyone has a pair of Slim Dungarees or Climbers?  Just wondering on the weight.  Been on the look out for slim pants and I keep coming back to Outlier.

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

I own a pair of each, bought just for general life and travel, but I have hiked a little in both. Both are quite warm, the SDs did well in freezing temps in the snow… Could not use in the summer.

Great pants for non-hiking though and US made of good fabrics, I’ll be back to outlier again because I’m trying buy less but higher quality clothes for day to day and I’ll pay the premium to know I’m not funding sweatshops.

SD kills the climbers though in durability and looks, but not quite as stretchy… Think they’re a tiny bit lighter also, but I’ve never weighed as I’m definitely not taking them if I’m counting grams (not that light). Can weigh when I’m home in a few days, PM me if I forget.

John DeMorris
    BPL Member

@bulwyf

Locale: West TX

I was honestly giving thought to trying out a pair of their New Way Shorts.  Yes they’re expensive but it looks like I could use them just about anywhere including for swimming, hiking and travel.  I really dig that they don’t look overly tactical, REI or cargo-y.

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

i used the climbers for a week in the sierra this september. they were perfect for me.

Richard Scott
    Spectator

@scotty02uk

Thought I’d add some useful info on outlier stuff, I own a pair of slim dungarees and climbers

the slim dungarees are tough , have some stretch and the 3xdry dwr actually works and lasts, and they look like jeans but a bit slimmer

The climbers are even better , I bought them because they are made from schoeller dryskin , which is the best softshell fabric in my opinion. They are very stretchy, breathable and can withstand showers. They are quite smart and ideal for work , and if it rains on my lunch break its no problem , I can still go for a walk.

I used to own a pair of mountain equipment mountaineering trousers , made of the same material , and mammut also use the material in there BASE jump trousers, it’s great stuff.

the only down side is you can’t really use outlier clothing for mountain climbing as they taper in the lower leg – so you would have to tuck them in your boots , and rain would just run down into them

would be fine with climbing shoes or hiking shoes

Marc Dalessio
    Spectator

@marcdalessio

Isn’t there a company in Portland doing jeans with the same Schoeller fabric? They might have a better cut.

Edit:  http://www.thunderboltsportswear.com/

They get good reviews for bombproofness, but they’re quite expensive as well. (I’ve tried neither, just for the record.)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools