Topic

5 oz Hardshell?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 5 oz Hardshell?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

The O2 jacket is a 5 oz hardshell too for $30. I have been thinking about the 4 oz version for bike touring, and have also been looking at some of more expensive shells discussed here. Obviously the O2 is going to be coated tyvec paper like frog togs, but is very light and seems to get good reviews for waterproofness and breathable. And oh so fashionable. For most trips, biking or otherwise, I end up carrying and rarely wearing a hardshell. There are several biking wind jackets in the 2-3 oz range too. Seems like there should be more cross over between biking gear and ultra light hiking gear.

http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-hooded-jacket/

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Michael B, how do the O2 stuff fit? The DriDucks fit like baggy trash bags on me (call me thin). I like the concept but need something that fits.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I crossed O2 off my list when I looked at the sizing chart. Size small hooded jacket has a 48" chest. I think the cycling jacket runs somewhat smaller–maybe a 40" chest? Still way too big for me, and no hood.

For a while, I preferred the Frogg Toggs poncho–oversized by design. A lousy investment though, since the loose fabric likes to catch on branches and tear.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think O2 and Frogg Toggs stuff runs big as the fabric won't stretch and might tear if stressed. You get some "bellows effect" ventilation too.

I think this class of jacket is good for those climates where rain is rare or short duration, and for summer CYA when rain isn't forecas, but I wouldn't plan on wearing one for days on end. I keep a flat pack of 18" duct tape in the pocket.

There's no free lunch or miracles on rain gear. Typically, high budget fabrics will come with quality construction and hardware, and a warranty to suit. Any unlined interior coating is exposed to wear and delamination over time (warranty time again). Any of the super light shells will be more fragile and subject to wear from inside and out, as well as attack from sharp stuff on the trail. I look for lots of venting and "tough enough" fabric. That leaves most of the 2.5 layer jackets with pit zips and weights around 12oz.

If you want 5oz and no venting features, you are relying on the fabric coating and the front zipper for breathability. The lighter fabric and coatiings will take a beating from your pack straps inside and out. IMHO, the light coated jackets are just a sweatier version of a windshirt.

You can pray, hope, scream and cry, but there ain't no miracles, yet. We'll hear about it when it happens :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

One way to cut weight is to make it small – around and in length

You want extra room around you for air to circulate inside

You want it longer to protect the top of your pants

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if yr in serious rain when active you should plan on getting wet/damp … period

as for hardshells … always buy em from somewhere with a no questions asked unlimited return policy … its that simple

if my OR helium doesnt work theyll send me a new one or give me a credit ;)

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'm with Eric. If you don't want to get wet, get out of the rain. Otherwise expect to deal with some overall dampness.

During the summer its often warm enough that the rain is actually nice and cooling sometimes.

I've never found anything to keep me legitimately dry while moving. As such I just want the lightest shell that helps mitigate internal humidity better than a plastic bag. Durability would be nice, but a lifetime warranty trumps that in my book.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If it's an intermittent rain, or a drizzle, then I'll stay pretty dry in hard shell. If it's fairly cool. Need to be able to unzip front and have it be a bit baggy so there's as much airflow inside as possible.

P S

@xeren

Locale: Southern California

and I'm sure the majority of people here know this, but a wool baselayer goes a long way toward not being uncomfortable when you're unavoidably damp in the rain.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

These light/cheaper pertex shells make perfect sense to me. If paired with a windshirt you are afforded much more versatility and comfort.

Your average goretex/eVent shell is 13oz+. Instead of lugging one of these around I carry a RAB Spark (8.8oz) rainshell and an Arcteryx Squamish (4.6oz) windshirt. So for 13.4 ounces these two are equivalent in weight to a pretty light alternative event shell. I only wear the rainshell when it is raining and wear the windshirt the rest of the time. As a result any wear and tear is spread between two jackets. I find that the only time I ever bring my heavier eVent jacket with me is for climbing where I know will be scratching up against rocks etc. Other than that, it's the spark every time.

I got both jackets for the same price or less than a good event shell which is a bonus. The rab spark was $120 and the squamish was $127.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Had my first rain test of the SD Cloud. I have men's S and it weighs in at just 3.3oz. I ran for 100 min. In intermittent, moderate rain, temps in 50s, so rather warm for a shell of any kind. The shell seems decently rain proof, and it seems to breathe fairly well. Overall, much more rain-proof and a little less breathable than a typical wind shirt. I'm thinking I'm going to use this for the SHR, plus I'll have my poncho trap in case it really rains. The shell fits quite big – I would normally wear M (5'8", 140lbs).

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools