Topic

A plea to clothing and shoe makers…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A plea to clothing and shoe makers…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Why can't someone get with it and make a pair of fast drying Old School Vans with a Vibram sole?

How a about a fast drying Levi 501 buttonfly?

The REI Sahara short sleeve T is the closest I've found to a normal cotton black t shirt in look and feel.

Why must we always look like spacemen, NASCAR drivers, or mercenaries?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Chucks would be cool in a material other than cotton canvas and a little more aggressive sole. Pretty minimalist too.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

How about some cuben fiber Doc Martens? Always good for waffle making and kicking through the shins.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Outlier makes nylon pants that look like normal pants. Expensive though.
    http://shop.outlier.cc/retail/pants/

I remember seeing some patagonia shoes that looked a lot like vans. I don't remember what they were made of or what the sole was like.

Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

Ive always tried to figure out where all these people are that have calves as big as their thighs. Ever heard of tapering the pants legs?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Craig, you aren't looking too hard.

EDIT: The following aren't too fast drying except maybe the cruzers because they're so light…quick dry mesh would sort of destroy the "old school vans" look though.

Scarpa Highball, Mai Tai, Mojito (actually most of their approach/lifestyle shoes)

Sportiva Boulder X (sort of)

Evolv Cruzers

FiveTen guid tennies, spitfire, dirtbags, freerider, etc.

Have a somewhat classic vans look but with sticky dot rubber soles that work for any solid hiking. If you want a more aggressive tread pattern though, well yeah that still is missing (but most of the vans look comes from the flat outsole so anything with traditional vibram lug patterns would look like a more regular tennis shoe…like the FiveTen Sam Hill).

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

look for parkour or climbing approach shoes …

softshell jeans ..

http://www.thunderboltsportswear.com/store/

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Outlier pants for $250?
    Thunderbolts for $188 a pair?

And I've always thought Levi 501s were pricey at $45/pair.

David Ure

@familyguy

This is the same guy who criticizes Dead Bird and PataGucci pricing?

Just kidding.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Yes, hiking clothes that are fashionable and functional are expensive.
    I wish I had the skills to sew my own clothing.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

Fashionable hiking clothing isn't always expensive and is out there.

-Pendleton wool shirts are great and can look pretty cool. You can get them in thrift stores, ebay, or online for $5-40 depending on how hard you look. These can last a LONG time – I just bought one last week from the 60s for $15 which was new and still had the tag on it. Just check for moth damage and odours is all.
    -Some trail runners also look pretty good IMHO like those made by merrell and new balance. You can sometimes get these for $30. I seem to remember seeing some converse trail shoes once too.
    -You can wear wool or polyester dress pants (again from goodwill).
    -Outdoor research, Stoic (backcountry), prana, marmot make some normal fitting pants without the bafflingly large calves.
    -Buy the cheapest hiking pants you can find made from technical material then get them tailored to fit you properly. Just find someone who will do cheap alterations. It cost me $15 to have the legs tapered on a pair of hiking pants to fit me better.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Polyester flannel shirt.
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pcid1230776-001?cid=PLA|Google&gclid=CL7lxq6RgbcCFfFcMgodPXEAyQ

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I just have to say that having read this thread I can not relate to even one of the requests that folks here have for clothing and shoe makers.

I especially hope that the pants makers are not listening to their request for more tapered pants. I usually have trouble if I want to pull up my pants legs over my freakishly large (20") calves as it is now.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I'd be content with more choices in longer inseams.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fitz. Meet Pete.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

How about real outdoor wear for women that isn't freakishly pastel? I don't want to wear that in the woods…and I still don't want to wear that in town. I end up buying more men's clothes simply because I can't stand the garish women's colors…

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

My motivation for finding fashionable hiking clothing is that I try to extend UL principles to the rest of my life. I travel a lot for work, so the less I own, the better. It just seems insane to me to own two/three sets of clothing to be used exclusively for a particular set of circumstances. One to wear with friends, one for work and one to wear while hiking. Some brands make some really great stuff which can be used for all 3 situations.

It's not only that I want my hiking clothing to look more normal, it's that 90% of regular clothing you buy is made using totally outdated materials. Cotton is just awful – it may be biodegradable, but unlike polyester is not recyclable and is one of the dirtiest crops out there. Or am I wrong here, am I missing something about cotton?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

+1 Loren.

It's not so much about being fashionable on the trail (believe me, few people that know me would use the word "fashionable" and my name in the same sentence)…

It's more about not having to have "outdoor" clothes vs. regular clothes.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

As someone who dresses like an idiot off the trail, I've got no complaints.

Currently rocking these:
    Salomon

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Not jeans, but, the C9 golf pants at Target are very multi-use. I wear my black pair hiking, but also to weddings, travel, any time–they just look like a basic flat-front black pant. They've got a little stretch, are quick to dry, resist pet fur, they don't have any extraneous pockets outside of the standard 2 front/ 2 back, and I got them for $8 (on "clearance" frequently though they never seem to clear out of them). Their full price is $30.

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-golf-pant-assorted-colors/-/A-14148908

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Are there any "normal" looking Inov8 trail runners?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools