Topic

Lems shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Does anyone know anything about these shoes and company?

http://www.lemsshoes.com

jl;'

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'll guess no size 15s.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

These were originally Stem Shoes, for some reason they changed names. I believe there are reviews floating around under the old brand name.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I have had a pair for about six months and absolutely love them. Just remember to take out the stupid optional insole. I use them for day to day wear and short hikes, when it is too cold for sandals. They are about to bring out a boot.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Not impressed by the tread on the sole. Wonder what the rubber is like?

Otherwise – out of any of a hundred different Asian shoes factories. Nothing new.

Cheers

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Not impressed by the tread on the sole. Wonder what the rubber is like?

Tread is not great. No good for wet conditions. Rubber is hard wearing.

Nothing new? Maybe not, but they cover all the bases for a good minimalist shoe.

– Zero drop.
    – 424 g for a pair.
    – very natural foot shaped last. Best I have found outside the Conker shoes I have been wearing since the early 1980s.
    – Sole is completely flexible along its whole length and width.
    – Look reasonably stylish.
    – Hard wearing and long lasting (so far).

Best for day to day wear or dry weather hiking for people who like a very minimal shoe.

steven franchuk

@surf

"very natural foot shaped last. Best I have found outside the Conker shoes I have been wearing since the early 1980s."

I just purchased a pare of Merrell Access 2 Barefoot shoes from REI. They also cover all the bases for a good minimalist shoe The pair weighs 380 g.

Merrell has an entire category of "barefoot" shoes, all with zero heel drop. The tread of the Access 2 is not good for wet trail use however they have different treads on other barefoot shoe. I have been wearing the Access 2 for about 4 weeks now at work and during my weekend exercise walks (with 20 lb backpack about 20 miles so far))in the local parks and so far there has been no significant wear on the sol.

IN my case I need zero drop soles due to chronic arch and heal issues and the Merrel appears to be a good choice for my day to day needs. I am still looking for a good barefoot class hiking boot The Merrell Barefoot shoes are worth looking into.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

I just purchased a pare of Merrell Access 2 Barefoot shoes from REI. They also cover all the bases for a good minimalist shoe The pair weighs 380 g.

Well done you – just kidiing:). I realise there's lots and lots of options out there now. I was just saying these are the best I had found AND worn. When I got them there were very few barefoot shoes for me to look at here in New Zealand and I had to get the Lems mail order. I was also looking for something without the "electric spaceman" look favoured by most of the running companies.

We have some of the Merrell and New Balance range available in New Zealand now. However, they are pretty pricey (USD 169 for the Access 2s), so even with shipping costs the Lems are still good value for me.

I use Inov-8 295s for backpacking trips and can't see myself going much more minimal than that at the moment for the conditions I hike in.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Anyone have any experience with their Boulder boots? http://www.lemsshoes.com/Mens-Boulder-Boot-Brown_p_87.html

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Yep, found that review after I posted. I also use 295s, just looking for something a little more sturdy and minimal with a wide toe box for trail maintenance.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

They are fashion boots. Cotton lined.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" I was also looking for something without the "electric spaceman" look favoured by most of the running companies."

What, you don't want to look like Bowie in space…? (cue my favorite New Zealanders)

YouTube video

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools