Topic

UL shovel mandatory?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL shovel mandatory?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Is there a source for a UL shovel if one wants hot meals during fire restrictions? Which also includes stoves if you'll carefully read your campfire permit. In my early days from the '70's, I always packed one of those steel shovels with the wooden handle, which I had cut the handle down to the minimal USFS required size, as I cooked over a wood campfire. Per our permit, a campfire is defined as a stove also.
    So maybe whats-his-name has a new income source for a ti shovel?
    Duane

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Might help if you identify what "campfire permit" you're referring to.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

In regard to my California NF fire permit, if asked if I have a shovel, I reply, "Yes," having my QiWiz "Big Dig shovel in mind. I've never been asked more than that. In forty years of backpacking, I've never carried a "regulation" shovel, nor have I been asked to produce one.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was backpacking with one buddy in Yosemite National Park, when we smelled smoke in one small area. We walked around and found a smouldering fire under the ground surface where some others had camped. We each carried one long SMC metal snow stake for shelter purposes, so we used those as shovels. Then a platypus of water got it finished.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Steve, I've been thinking along the same line as you. I have one of Rob's new Mega Dig trowels, which I plan to use to scoop campfire coals under my Zia grill. I wonder if a simliar, but much larger, "shovel" could be made the same way as the QiWiz trowels. I need to contact Rob Kelly about this. Does anyone know what the USFS considers a minimal size for their required shovel?

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Backpacking stoves are exempt from fire restrictions.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The California campfire permit defines a campfire as wood fires, charcoal fires, and portable gas stoves using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel. The terms of the permit require you to have a shovel for a campfire at all times.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5404941.pdf

I would never carry a shovel backpacking for a fire or stove. That rule is for car campers. Yeah, I guess you could get ticketed for it. Any ranger who tickets a backpacker for not having a shovel with their backpacking stove is a complete asshole.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

agree with gob

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Since the size of shovel is not specified, a trowel should appease the Man.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Since the regs do not define what is meant by a shovel, or what the dimensions must be, it would seem to me that the worst case scenario on showing off your Big Dig to an inquisitive ranger would be a warning to bring a bigger shovel in future.
    A MEGA Dig is bigger than a Big Dig, BTW, and still less than an ounce.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That's what I just said. Without the shameless plug!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Antiquated language on the permit. Remember folks, these are not written by a legal department and are clearly not enforced enough to be questioned.

Technically you can get fined for not having a shovel with a stove. However Justin is right, you'd have to have a real pain of ranger to ticket you (or be less than friendly yourself, giving them reason to not be nice). So really the only way I'd worry about getting a ticket is if I was an asshole…

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Since the regs do not define what is meant by a shovel, or what the dimensions must be, it would seem to me that the worst case scenario on showing off your Big Dig to an inquisitive ranger would be a warning to bring a bigger shovel in future. "

This scenario makes me giggle. Looking forward to it almost. "See sheriff, I DO have a shovel, *waves titanium potty trowel* and I think the judge will agree I have complied with the letter of the law. *spit* Now if you'll pardon me, I have a train to rob." Still, no sillier that asking someone with a canister stove to carry a shovel to put out all those underground embers he/she created. If it ever got that far there would have been quite a fireworks show as the canister exploded. Anyway, most of the rangers I have met were far, far more sensible than either the folks who wrote the regs, or the average campers they run into, so I'm not too worried.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thank you all. In the old days, the Campfire Permit did mention the minimal size a shovel had to be. Only one Campfire Permit, nothing for only wood campfires, one just for stoves, one just for bpers etc.
    I was off motorcycle camping this weekend.
    Duane

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools