Topic

CA Snowpack: 17%

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    James Castleberry

@winterland76

"The man in charge of surveying California's snowpack to measure the amount of water that will flow into storage reservoirs over the next few months had bad news Thursday.
    "I'm finding nothing. Seriously, there is no snow on the course at all," said Frank Gehrke, chief surveyor for the Department of Water Resources.
    The survey showed the water content of what little snowpack does remain at 17 percent of normal, an ominous situation for a state that depends on a steady stream of snowmelt to replenish reservoirs throughout the summer."

CA Snowpack report

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I wonder just how much impact the poor snowpack will have on backpackers in California. We already knew that the summer season was coming early, and it would be dry. Finding water sources along the trail may become the new hobby.

Maybe I should try to fabricate a divining rod out of carbon fiber tubing. How about a solar powered water well pump?

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

If I were thru hiking I would be turning the jets on before the fire season starts closing sections of trail. I was incredibly lucky in 2011 and had no fire closures to deal with. I guess there was one benefit of a high snow year. I have read in a few journals that SoCal water sources are few and far between. Not sure if its normal few and far between or abnormal.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Looks like there will probably be a lot fewer people on the trails. That is the bright side.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

They actually close trails during fire season?

Jason Torres
    BPL Member

@burytherails

Locale: Texas

Native rain dance…just saying. It worked in Colorado

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"They actually close trails during fire season?"

When there is a lot less water, also meaning more strict stove regulations and no campfires, campsite and trail use drops way down. People stay at home or do something else for vacation.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"They actually close trails during fire season?"

Two years ago about 10 miles of PCT North of Mt Hood was closed because there was a fire

There have been similar closures around Three Sisters

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

In my neck of the woods (Southern/Central Coast CA), everything is MUCH drier than it would normally be this time of year. Some of our normally perennial streams are already just about dried up; some never really got going again after having drought conditions last year too. Most of the seasonal creeks are already done or are reduced just to a trickle. My local hiking season is over; it's already too dry and hot back there.

We have seen full scale forest closures before. Usually at some point halfway through summer, the District Ranger will prohibit all fires (stoves, campfires, etc.) throughout our local NF but otherwise the areas are still at least open for use. If we get a bad fire in the region though, like we did with the Zaca Fire in 2007, the District ranger has actually taken the extreme step of officially closing the entire forest for the remainder of the summer until temps cool down.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Looks like there will probably be a lot fewer people on the trails. That is the bright side."

From what I'm hearing record number of PCT hikers

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Does this mean less mosquitoes?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

"From what I'm hearing record number of PCT hikers"

"Does this mean less mosquitoes?"

Hmmm, more PCT hikers means less mosquitoes? How could that work?

More PCT hikers, slapping more mosquitoes, means fewer mosquitoes?

More PCT hikers, drinking more water, dries up remaining water sources, means fewer mosquitoes?

More PCT hikers, cooking more meals, fry more flying mosquitoes?

More PCT hikers, wearing more mosquito repellent, means fewer mosquitoes?

Of course, most of these effects will be local, and might drive mosquitoes to other areas.

Time to move near the PCT and become a trail angel!

— Rex

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

No, I mean will the low snowpack result in less mosquitoes?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Do we have any first hand accounts from the JMT yet this year ?

Karl Keating
    BPL Member

@karlkeating

No, you mean "will the low snowpack result in FEWER mosquitoes?"

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"No, I mean will the low snowpack result in less mosquitoes?"

*ka-zing!* …or whatever the sound sarcasm makes as it just over flies over ones head.

Karl Keating
    BPL Member

@karlkeating

Well, you could get by with "No, I mean will the low snowpack result in LESSER mosquitoes?" if you use "lesser" in the old sense of "less important."

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Sarcasm doesn't work on the internets.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sure.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Since we are on the subject of very low water — I'm starting May 19 at the border and going NOBO hoping to do about a 4 month thru.

Never hiked out west – but plenty of east coast longer jaunts. Here is what I've done to try and minimize my risk for dehydration (feedback is much appreciated):

– Assume more filtering and longer carries, so Sawyer squeeze and 5 L capacity (including dirty bladder)
    – Guthook PCT app plus Halfmile PCT app and PCTHYOH app with updating water reports on my Ipod Touch w/ GPS.
    – Early morning hiking to avoid heat of the day, mid-day naps.
    – DEBATING leaving my alcohol stove at home now (do to possible fire bans) and just starting stoveless (don't really want the weight of a Jetboil.
    – Electrolyte tablets thoughout the day for heat / sweat / ion balance.
    – CHROME DOME for helping me sweat less (plus a wide-brim Tilley)
    – Assuming won't need my microspikes or ice-ax for the Sierra's.

ANYTHING ELSE ??

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

4 weekends ago I was in Yosemite and there was plenty of water. The snow line was at about 8k feet and there was enough snow.

However, last weekend I was in Kings Canyon … about 2 hours south – and the water was somewhat scarce

It was there and it was flowing but I could see it drying up this year.

Some of the areas which clearly had running water in the past were dry.

I suspect things are rough the further south you go (warmer) but probably are ok if you go further north.

Probably an early start is a good idea!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Seth, it sounds like a plan. I suspect anything listed as seasonal sources will be dry this year. Have a great hike.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools