Topic

Tent for the JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent for the JMT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

When I seam seal tents in my bedroom to me they become 2/4/6/8 brick tents.
    The Moment is a two brick tent , that is it stands up with one brick each over the ends, the Notch needs 4.
    The Moment is heavier but has its own pole and a larger floor area, the Notch has a smaller floor but larger vestibules.
    Both can have the inner (bug net) set up by it self but you get good views ,particularly with the Notch, with the fly on and both sides open.
    You can of course use rocks with many shelters but because of the end "triangle' set up it is a lot easier with these two than some .
    The guylines on the Notch are not all that fussy about where you put them.
    Notch on bricks

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have the original Moment Single Wall and like it -a lot.

BUT… I may sell it to buy a Moment DW when the ripstop inner tent is available later this summer so I can use it in winter with the crossing pole.

The lightest tent I would buy is a SMD Skyscape X of Cuben fabric. And I REALLY wish I could buy a Cuben SW Moment.

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

+1 for the Tarptent Notch. With both vestibules fully open it is almost tarp-like but with that oh-so-sweet full bug protection.
    Full Disclosure: I think the MSR Hubba is a nearly perfect tent design, it's just too heavy. The Notch is 90-95% Hubba flavor, 50% less fat.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

As long as the ridgeline is staked/guyed out securely, the Lighheart is very sturdy. On the inside, the trekking poles don't stand straight up they angle inwards from bottom to top, forming more of an arch or triangle that holds up well structurally.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I have an LHG cuben solo. I carried it on a PCT thru and a GDMBR thru. It took wind, rain and snow without a single problem and was comfortable for myself and all my gear if I had to wait out weather.

Staking tents on the JMT section was never an issue. Digging cat-holes on the other hand was a memorable PITA.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Digging cat-holes on the other hand was a memorable PITA.'

Digging cat-holes on either hand sounds awfully painful. They are best on the ground.

–B.G.–

Erica R.
    Spectator

@skrapp138

Locale: Between the Rockies and the Sierras

I'm glad the issue of staking was brought up – I, too, had heard that there are difficult areas along the JMT to stake a tent and was trying to take that into consideration in picking a tent. The rock solution seems like the way to go, and there are no shortage of rocks up there (in the areas where staking may be difficult) – so easy fix!

Erica R.
    Spectator

@skrapp138

Locale: Between the Rockies and the Sierras

So, after seemingly endless debate – I ended up going with the Lightheart Gear Solo. I might have done the SMD Trekker – but they were out of stock and I didn't want to wait – but overall, after watching videos and reading reviews, I think this was definitely the right buy for me! Can't wait to get it and try it out!

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

An unguyed, unstaked "freestanding" tent is frequently called a box kite.

David Ure

@familyguy

Not if you are in the damn thing.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

But then you can never leave…..

Craig .
    BPL Member

@zipper

Locale: LOST, but making good time

Welcome to the Hotel California

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Such a lonely place

David Ure

@familyguy

Tee Hee

David Ure

@familyguy

"An unguyed, unstaked "freestanding" tent is frequently called a box kite."

An unguyed, unstaked "nonfreestanding" tent is frequently called a bivy.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools