Topic

New Software

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    c. c.

@chemicalcraig

I know everyone probably has their own customized spreadsheet they use to keep track of their gear and for trip planning, but I wrote a program that, for me, is a bit easier to use. There are versions for windows 7, mac, and linux available. If people want to try it out and give me feedback regarding what you think would make it better or more usable I'd appreciate it. I made a youtube video highlighting the general usage including download links, hope you enjoy it!

YouTube video

Gerard Nervig
    BPL Member

@acanthus

Locale: The center of it all

Looks like a neat program. Not working on my Mac with latest operating system. Difficult to open and program crashes when used. I will try to re download it and try again.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Locale: Northern CA

Getting an Invalid or deleted file when trying to download the Windows 7 file to try it out. I see the same thing if I try and download the Linux 32bit. The other two versions (Mac and Linux 64bit) I do not see that issue.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Richard:
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've updated the link, it should work now, sorry about that.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a mac guy myself, but want to try to make this available to all users. What version exactly are you using? When you say difficult to open, what do you mean?

Gerard Nervig
    BPL Member

@acanthus

When I open the program on Mac, I get the gear list naming option. Clicking on that I get system preferences and the program as a drive. Can't open it from there. If I close (cancel) that, it will open. If I make an entry it crashes. Hope that helps as this sounds like a very valuable program. Especially the trip planning portion which goes well beyond just a spreadsheet. Thanks

Version 10.8.3

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Currently you calculate total weight. I'd like to see the program calculate total base weight, total pack weight, and total from the skin out weight. From the skin out weight is everything. Pack weight is everything minus clothing worn and gear carried (like trekking poles or a watch). Base weight is pack weight minus consumables (food, water, and fuel). Cool program.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Thanks for checking it out. Skin out weight is a great suggestion, I'm looking into incorporating that now, thanks.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Can you try to drag the application from the dmg folder to your Applications folder and tell me if the problems persist? Thanks for testing it for me.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

I am seeing a problem when I have an item with more than the quantity of 1 in the Print Report. (Stakes for example) The weight adds up correctly in the Pack List Tab but the breakdown on the printed report looks like it is only using the quantity of 1 for the totals by Category.
    Still playing around with it but am liking what I see and will send more bug reports as they are verified.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Wow, this looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out! Hopefully you get through the bugs soon, especially with Mac.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Im really liking your program. Thanks for putting this together as Ive been looking for something like this for awhile now.

One thing I would like to see implemented is a way to keep track of what was paid or the value of an item. I like to keep track of what I spent for a piece of gear so when it comes time to sell it, I have at least an idea of what I paid for it.

If there was a way for you to take a given category, and then show that category as a piece of a pie chart for % of total weight, and another pie chart for % of total cost of all gear owned, that would be very interesting too.

For multiple same items, like stakes, how do you enter a quantity greater than one?

Thanks again

Gerard Nervig
    BPL Member

@acanthus

Dragging DMG to applications folder works now for opening the program. New problem..when adding a note and then clicking add to list, the program closes and erases what was entered when reopened. If you want to email me directly you can at gerardnervig at mac.com. Would really like to see this program work for the 65% of us that use Macs. :)

Gerard Nervig
    BPL Member

@acanthus

Looks like all bugs fixed for Mac users. Great program! Thanks Craig for all the work.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Great catch, Richard. I've fixed it so that if you are carrying multiple items in a pack, the printed report will show the total weight as well as the quantity. If you want the fixed version, the .exe is now in the QRambler-win7.zip file. Thanks for your help.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A 20MB zipped file for a gear list?

A spreadsheet is much lighter (smaller). This is BPL :)

To be honest I have a pretty good spreadsheet that does all kinds of things and is much, much smaller. Besides its main purpose is a checklist so I don't forget something.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

That's a great idea, Diego. That will definitely be included in the next version. I'm also currently working on the pie chart.
    To add multiples of a single item, click the "Add" button, and the quantity should be updated in the pack list. Thanks for the ideas.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Also found while printing Entire Trip, the Total Consumable Weight does not tally up. Report is showing Zero. The Multiple item bug is fixed. This in on the Windows 7 version.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Thanks again, Richard. Fixed it. Seemed to be a platform-specific problem that affected win and mac, but not linux. Your testing is supremely appreciated.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

lol, maybe I'll make the next version out of cuben.

If you already have a spreadsheet that you like and have gotten adept at using, keep using it for sure. If it ain't broke, right? I used to use a spreadsheet too, but as I love to tinker, I found it clumsy and not very aesthetically pleasing. Maybe I just didn't have the right spreadsheet? Cheers.

Donnie Lacer

@donl

I'm a Mac user and this is great.

Can't believe that you're giving this away:)

Donnie Lacer

@donl

I tried to enter the weight of my tent packed which is 1566 grams, but the max is 999.990 grams.

Is this bug or is it the way that it's been set up.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Thanks for checking out the program, Donnie. This was my fault, and I uploaded a newer version this morning that fixes the problem with metric weights and distances. If you find any other problems, or have any suggestions, please let me know. You can email me directly, exciton at vfemail dot net. Cheers.

Galen Benson
    BPL Member

@wanttoknow

Will this work in win XP? I tried it but get an error saying that WS2_32.dll is not a valid windows image.
    Thanks.

c. c.

@chemicalcraig

Unfortunately, not as of yet, sorry. I don't currently have access to an XP machine to compile it, but I'm working on it. I know a lot of people like XP, so I'm trying to track one down now. As soon as I get an XP version up I'll let you know.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools