Topic

Pillows: WM Cloudrest vs. FF Geoduck – opinions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pillows: WM Cloudrest vs. FF Geoduck – opinions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I know pillows are "unnecessary" to many UL folks. However, after sleeping poorly last year, I've decided that two areas I was willing to accept more weight for a better night's sleep was my sleeping pad (I went with the BA Q-Core SL Wide/Long) and a pillow. I haven't decided yet on which pillow, but am leaning towards down and am currently comparing the Western Mountaineering Cloudrest pillow vs. the Feathered Friends Geoduck pillow. The former is $49 + shipping, the second is $45 + shipping so they are comparable and also within 1oz in weight (5oz/6oz).

What are people's opinions here of these two pillows? Has anyone tried both?

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I have the WM Cloudrest and have arrived at the same conclusion as you have. I simply cannot do without a pillow of some sort, and the stuff-your-clothes-in-a-stuffsack idea doesn't work, if only for the reason that nearly all of my clothes are worn to bed. Additionally, I've been dissatisfied with air pillows–they are too bouncy.

My Cloudrest weighs in at 4.5 oz. This year I'm going to try modifying it by removing the attached stuff sack to save weight–maybe shave it down to 4.0 oz. Also, I plan on sewing strips of grosgrain ribbon each corner and then use elastic cord and mitten hooks to attach it to my pad. I have another thread on this topic if you scroll down a bit.

I'd be curious to hear the weight on the other pillow you mentioned. I don't think you'll be able to do much better than the Cloudrest since it is high quality down and from WM. Most of the weight is just down. I find the amount of down to be just about right–not too much. Any less would probably mean inadequate neck/head support.

As an aside, how do you like the BA Q Core SL? I am looking at replacing my heavy BA Air Core pad that has served me well for years. Alternatives to my mind are the famed NeoAir and Exped Synmat.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

David- thanks for your insight on the WM Cloudrest.

In answer to your question on the BA Q-Core SL Wide/Long, I don't have enough time on it to answer you. We're still in winter here in Alaska, it'll be probably another month before my first overnighter of this season. In the house it feels quite comfortable. It's too long for me, but I wanted that additional width so my arms could rest comfortable to my sides and I wanted a thicker pad. After I get some sleep time on it this season, I'll likely post up my thoughts, but so far I think it's going to be great. It's a full 1" thicker than my old pad, has a higher R-rating, is wider, and I like the quilted baffling rather than straight vertical or straight horizontal baffling, it feels more supportive.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I have tried the Exped Pillow, the cocoon hyper light pillow and ended up going with the Thermarest pillow in small.

Epend and cocoon pillows were both air core- this felt like I was laying on a baloon. With not enough give.

I thoguht of the geoduck but I have feather pillows at home and often have to fold them cause the pillow compresses and the better the down the more easily it compresses. So I thought "no go".

Then I tried this little GEM the thermarest camp pillow small. The fill is perfect for me. Its some kind of foam. I have taken many great naps(over 10) using it and my new exped UL SYN mat in my office and it is soooooooooooooo Comfy BUT there is one draw back it is 7 ounces. Yes I know that is more than half my shelter weight. but so worth it.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Josh, thanks for your input, I will consider that one as well. I like your subject like, I was thinking when I posted this that people would be like, "What? ANOTHER pillow thread?"

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

i found the Cloudrest pillow to be almost useless for any kind of support. It just flattens out. Should have lower quality down fill instead of the nice stuff. Would be more crush resistant.

I know some who swear by the Geoduck as you can take the built in stuff sack and stuff it inside the pillow and then stuff some clothing inside that as a core.

I will be trying this myself soon I think. Using a Montbell inflatable now with mixed results.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dena, do you sew at all? How is shipping to Alaska via USPS? If it's not too unreasonable for shipping and you can sew, i can send you some Kapok fiber for free–just pay for the shipping.

It's pretty light, insulative, but doesn't compress as much as down so it's better for something like a pillow. A interesting, but probably not realistic, side benefit is that your pillow can double as a flotation aid, sort of like an air pillow could.

Anyways, let me know if you're interested, and i will try to have some out to you soon.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I agree that high quality down is pretty useless for pillows–no support. Bed pillows are stuffed with feathers, not down, because feathers compress less (and are cheaper!). If you're willing to DIY maybe cut down an old feather pillow to make a mini version for your pack.

Kapok is great stuff–I use it at home–I think the feel of it does take some getting used to if you're accustomed to feather or synthetic pillows.

Another option, if you're not opposed to chemical-ish stuff, would be to use memory foam. That stuff compresses like crazy but not at the expense of support. Either buy a travel-sized pillow, or cut up one of those mattress toppers and sew a nice soft cover onto it.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

KThompson- Thanks for your insight on the WM Cloudrest. I do kind of like the concept of being able to add stuffing to the FF Geoduck if needed.

Justin Whitson- I don't sew, but thanks for the offer. I am curious about that material and will have to look it up, I hadn't heard of it before.

Kate Magill- I had considered memory foam but it's heavy and it gets rock hard when it's cold so I had discarded that idea. But I do like the support that memory foam offers.

NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

I love the Geoduck by FF…it is light, warm, and very supportive with clothing stuffed in it. Best little present I have bought for myself in a long time.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Thanks, NWHiker- it sounds like the FF is going to be the better pick between the two pillows.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools