Topic

Seeking Advice on a Partially-Solid Inner for the Duomid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seeking Advice on a Partially-Solid Inner for the Duomid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I picked up a Duomid this winter, and I have really enjoyed it so far. With the snow starting to melt, I am thinking about an inner and bug protection. I have a break coming up in a couple of weeks, so I figure I will save a little money and have a little fun by making one patterned after the MLD Solo Innernet.

Here's my thinking: I might as well go with a partially-solid inner for better performance in shoulder season and winter. If I use M50, it would be the same weight as nanoseeum no matter how high the walls. I'd also probably go with Shield silnylon for the floor for its higher hydrostatic head.

So what do you all think? Has anyone tried a project similar (couldn't find anything through search)?

I am thinking about 18" for the solid walls, then netting above that. Should I go higher? Use something other than M50?

Also, has anyone tried doing a floor out of yellow silnylon? The better visibility is tempting since my olive brown duomid can feel a bit dark inside.

Thanks for the help.

/*/Edit: typos/*/

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Thanks Ken. I missed that thread in the search. I will definitely be putting the zipper on the appropriate side.

Perhaps brighter side walls would make up for a darker floor

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Clayton – My Cricket tent inner came with a yellow floor, which surprised me a little. No doubt it'll brighten up the olive/brown DuoMid. Under a yellow Cricket and with a Synmat UL7 I may need to wear blue tinted glasses to offset the sunny disposition :-)

The Cricket inner also comes with an 11" strip of momentum on the door. My initial reaction was that I would have preferred more, but in my test pitches it seems to be just enough.

I did have a custom OookStar last year with 1/2 Cuben / 1/2 mesh doors and walls, and in retrospect I'd have preferred the balance to be 1/3 Cuben / 2/3 mesh for improved ventilation yet sufficient solid fabric for wind / sand / dust / rain / spindrift protection.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

While not related to solid walls, there's some info here on making a solo inner for a DuoMid. You may be able to contact the OP and get the Google Sketchup file and then modified it for your use.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18239

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools