Topic

Headline: “Why does America lose its head over ‘terror’ but ignore its daily gun deaths?”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Headline: “Why does America lose its head over ‘terror’ but ignore its daily gun deaths?”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, yeah, I am guilty of bringing in material from another thread, but it seemed pertinent. I was trying to address your previous post in this thread where it sounded like you felt personally persecuted, but then I just couldn't seem to stop myself. That's what happens when I stay up too late, I guess.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well Matthew you are aware that two threads are going on about this crap right now as you are posting to both. This has always been a Chaff worthy thread. It has nothing to do with how I feel and what I think.

No I did not read your posts. I always try to skip them as you never add anything of value. You ranting …………

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Do you really think Russia would have even agreed to talk to us if we had not scared the $h!t out of them by building up our military?"

Well, yes, I do. IMO, Gorbachev deserves a lot of credit for the end of the cold war as well. While I'm not a fan of Reagan, he was the right leader at the right time in our history to end the cold war and scale back our lose-lose aggressive trajectory with Russia. But I don't believe he could have done it without Gorbachev, who was also the right leader at the right time in Soviet history to end the cold war.

For the first time, Gorbachev and Reagan put aside their political and philosophical differences for their countries – they both realized the trajectory their countries were on were not sustainable. So they engaged each other directly, with respect (Reagan pretty much gave up the 'evil empire' talk when he began engaging Gorbachev directly), to lead their countries down a different path.

But had another hardliner, instead of the reformer Gorbachev (followed by Yeltsin), been in power in the Soviet Union at that time, the cold war could very well still be going on – or worse.

IMO, Reagan's greatest triumph was not due to his military buildup – that may have set the stage – it was due to his diplomacy. And he shares the credit of the ending of the cold war with Gorbachev – he didn't do it alone.

We live in a safer world because two men realized we simply had to – though for different reasons (for Gorbachev it had little to do with being scared and much more to do with a realization that his country would never advance economically if it continued to spend so much on their military) – and then made it happen.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Figures..anytime someone has a differing opinion, it is ridiculed by all the Liberals on here."

Unfortunately, Matthew, this happens on multiple sides. It's unfortunate, IMO, that so many folks have to resort to labels and name-calling – respectful discussion never goes on for long (if it even starts that way) in these threads on this and a few other topics. I don't know why people bother starting these threads, I have yet to see one end without it devolving into anger, name calling and nastiness. It's a shame, really.

FWIW, not everyone who believes in reasonable gun legislation is a liberal. Not everyone who believes in god or that America is a great country is a conservative. If we'd stop putting each other in boxes – all of us – we'd have more useful discussions, IMO. And my remarks aren't aimed specifically at you, though I'm responding to your post, they're aimed at most BPL forum posters, including myself.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I must be a genius. Was able to predict the outcome of this thread after reading the very first post.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I'll bet that leaves you chaffing at the bit for the next prediction opportunity…

John Taylor
    BPL Member

@jtaylor

Locale: Shenandoah

Russia had no choice but to end the Cold War. The USSR was broke, their people wer starving.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

"Russia had no choice but to end the Cold War. The USSR was broke, their people wer starving."

Exactly…because all of the USSR's money went into the arms race with the US. They could not possibly compete with the US private sector driving our economy.

M

Dave T

@davet

Moderator, move this to Chaff.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Could this please be moved to chaff?
    Doesn't seem possible at the moment. Don't know why.
    (Yes, I know it used to be possible.)

Cheers

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Moderator, move this to Chaff.

+ 1 even though it is impossible. There you go Matthew, you can put me on your list of BPL liberals that you don't like.

I listened to a long interview with Dan Baum, author of Gun Guys, recently and he made a lot of sense most of the time.
    http://danbaum.com/Nine_Lives/About_Gun_Guys.html

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"There you go Matthew, you can put me on your list of BPL liberals that you don't like. "

Unlike our President, I don't keep an "enemies" list. You have every right to your opinions, as do I. And I also try not to judge people solely on their political leanings. I never said I don't like anyone on BPL. Ever.

M

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Unlike our President, I don't keep an "enemies" list.

Try and make a post without bringing politics into it.

You have every right to your opinions, as do I.

I never said you didn't. Ever. How do you know that our opinions on this topic aren't identical? Perhaps you are judging me solely on my political leanings? The same way that you categorised those who had a different opinion from you on gun control as liberals.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You are wearing a kilt, your argument is invalid.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"You are wearing a kilt, your argument is invalid"

Justin….""are you DAFT, Sissy-Girl?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJVFJ2kb62c

M

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools