Topic

Escalante and the Waterpocket Fold

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Escalante and the Waterpocket Fold

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO
    tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Your blog is pulling me towards the southwest.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

OUT. STANDING.

Tyler,

I really enjoyed this. Glad you made things somewhat vague.

If I may offer a couple of suggestions…

I would have enjoyed many of the pictures in actual color. Use black & white on just a few. Others may disagree.

Also, I suggest you use the "Read More" button to break up the posts. This will make your main page much nicer to navigate and really speed up load times. Also check your pixel sizes, load times are lengthy.

But again, very very nice.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Looks great.

Must read up on this area and techniques needed to exploit it.

And I thought the Sierras were a serious contrast to backpacking in Scotland and Europe….

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Thanks all.

Nick, appreciate the feedback. I had intended to figure out how to do the "read more" before this post because I knew it was a big one but didn't have time. Figured it out (easy) and changed it.

I usually see photos mostly in B&W because that's mostly what I've always shot, but I am considering a separate page for photos I want to post that don't really fit into a "trip report".

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I understand the black & white, especially since that was all that was available when I was young. IMO certain pictures beg for black and white, but for most color is best. As a desert dweller, I appreciate the real colors and at other times like the starkness and shades of gray of b&w.

You can download some photo galleries into Word Press. You might want to click on my website link in my profile and look at the galleries. I haven't spent much time with them and am still learning how to do this stuff; keep in mind that when I was in college hand held calculators were not available… so this computer stuff is new to me — at least computers without punch cards, and I still use a slide rule :)

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Beautiful job as always.
    I'm not a black and white photographer, but I appreciate how they accentuate the patterns in the rock in your photos and the starkness of the terrain. Loved this very much.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

beautiful job Brendan. It is good to hear that the lower Escalante (below Scorpion) is not so bad, we beat the hell out of the willows from Scorpion to Moody last fall.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Stunning!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Great images Brendan. I especially like the one featured here…the blocks sitting in the river.
    I can't wait to get out there soon. I typically spend about 15 days in the area every summer car camping with my family.

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Fantastic photos and nice style. Just the right balance of narration and geography vs. vagueness and pure aesthetics.

The Colorado Plateau is a mystical place. You capture that feeling well.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brendan,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful adventure. Your pictures and narrative were FABULOUS!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Awesome TR.

I disagree with everything Nick said.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Fantastic photos. I sent a link to some friends of ours who will be visiting the area this year. Needless to say they are now even more excited about there trip.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I could comment quite a bit here… but I'll save it :)

Good stuff Brendan. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I really enjoyed the photos and exposure to that area.
    Thanks!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools