Topic

A penny for your thoughts…GG Gorilla Backpack 2012 ? Good pack ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A penny for your thoughts…GG Gorilla Backpack 2012 ? Good pack ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I'm looking at this pack. I'm an experienced backpacker in the 20 30 lbs range for a week long trips. Have any of you used this pack for that time and weight? Would you recommend it? I also do 3-4 day trips with less weight, and I'm sure it's great for that. I've also read some reviews here, just want to know some of your thoughts on this?
    Thanks!

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

I guess no one has a thought about a popular ultralite pack on the market.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Justin I haven't heard a lot about the Gorilla lately but if you search the forums its been discussed plenty. Will reviewed it on his blog, here is the link

http://southwestultralight.blogspot.com

General agreement seems to be that the absolute max load for this pack is 35 pounds. Depending on the bulk of your gear it might be small for a weeks worth of food.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I guess no one has a thought about a popular ultralite pack on the market."

It's been less than 2 hours on a Thursday. Try the BPL search and reader reviews while you wait.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

lol I have the older version but I don't carry 30lbs. I carry 20 max and that is not normal. I do mainly shorter hikes 3-4 days but would have no problem, getting a week worth of food in mine.

Should be even easier now that my new bear canister will be carrying my food on the top of my pack.

What is your set up? This might help some of the other smarter guys advise you.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Thank you for the info, sorry for the abrupt re post. Having a bad day. I've read the reviews, just hoping for some quick thumbs up or look at this pack. Thanks !!!

Josh Brock

@needsabath

I love mine, but have found that a pack is a very personal thing. You could read a thousand good reviews and hate it. But if it was me and I was carrying your weights I would want something with more robust hip and shoulder pads…Again that's just me.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Yes your right, I've got your basic light set up, WM Ultra sleeping bag. TT Contrail. I currently use a ULA Circuit, which I love, so maybe the GG Gorilla could be used as a 3-4 day pack. Just wondering what others thought of the pack, thanks for your response!

RA Amundsen

@grimner

I have the Gorilla 2012 and am looking forward to taking it out for a week or so as soon as the rivers have calmed down in the mountains.

Being a recent convert to the light, I cannot compare and contrast to other light packs, only what I have seen so far.

A few daytrips and pre-hike loadouts tells me that the hip-belt, shoulder-straps, load-lifters and frame system work very well. This is the first pack that actually fits me and does what it is supposed to do.

Having a bit of a struggle with the volume and narrowness of the main compartment. But I suspect this is me feeling nostalgic for packs with wide openings with zippers and such. Packing technique is also an issue with me – have to train with it to get it right.
    But loading it out for 7 days might be a bit of a squeeze. Hovering around 10-10,5 kg (ca 23 pounds) for the whole load. Cheating a bit with a Ribz front pack.

The compression system looks silly at first sight. One thin thread criss-crossing all over the pack is not what I am used to, but it works far better than let us say four buckles on the sides.

Pockets are all good. They have a bit of volume and will close on any item that is not too large.

For what it is worth, I forget I have it on most of the time.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Thanks for the input. Could you post what sleeping bag you use and what shelter? Have you tried to put a bear canister on there? I'm sure it will be a bit of a challenge to get all your gear in there for a 7 day trip. Thanks again!

J. Lopes

@jay_nj

I was under the impression that the Gorilla model doesn't have load lifters (mariposa does)? I would be happy to be mistaken if it does.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

I just looked at the two packs on the GG site. Your right, the Gorilla doesn't have them , but the Mariposa does.

J. Lopes

@jay_nj

I only mentioned that as i appreciate load lifters even with light (15-20lb) loads as i find it more helpful and comfortable getting the pack in that "Sweet spot". I think the gorilla could benefit from them even though many will say it is unnecessary for the max loads of this type of bagb.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Last couple years I was using a henessy hammock asym UL. and this year im using an ID nestor. But either way I put my sleeping pad in the back panel I put my shelter in the large mesh pocket or strapped to the outside steaks and poles in side pocket water snacks in other side pocket sleeping bag(arc Ghost) down jacket(patty down sweater UL) frog togs, GSR kettlist pocket rocket/Giga power, Fuel canister, ti spoon, Dajo knife flint and whistle all in main pocket. I am getting a 12.5in bearikade that I will strap to that top.

With everything above but the bearikade I dont even fill up half my pack and like I said Im going to use the strap on the top to hold the can on, so I have plenty of room with the GG gorilla.. I went and packed it up real quick.

I know that that is not everything I pack but it shows That it can hold quite a bit. Ill upload a Pick with the pack and that stuff in it.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Loaded packall full

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Thanks for that info Josh as well as the photos.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

But I have a 9 pound base weight and eat less than a pound of food a day. It's great for me for 3-4 day trips, even longer. But I did get a circuit to use on the JMT later this year to accommodate a bear canister.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used the original gorilla for several year, and last year got the 2012 model when I needed an extra pack to loan out (loan out the old, use the new). I love it. I was trying new packs years (or more frequently until I got the Gorilla… since then I haven't bothered, very happy with the pack. I would say 30lb is pushing the limit. I carry up to 25lb very happily. Of course, packs are very personal, what is perfect for me, might be perfectly awful for you.

–mark

RA Amundsen

@grimner

Evolution Revelation rated for 20, wide cut. Packs down small.
    Six Moon Designs Trekker. It stays in the large side pocket.

I hope I never have to use a bear canister. The Norwegian/Swedish bears hasn't developed a taste for Snickers… yet.

Yeah, it is a bit of a squeeze. Find myself considering volume AND weight.

On load lifters:
    It appears that the Gorilla 2012 does not have them.
    Checked my order and the site now. I have a Gorilla 2012 and the pictures and specs on GG shows no load lifters. Yet my particular pack has them – they even work. So I guess I got some sort of hybrid or test product. No complaints from me :)

… or you know, locking closer at pictures, I think van Peski may have sent me a Mariposa… two pocket on the right, one long pocket on the left AND load lifters; that's my pack alright.

Well, that answers your question, then. The Mariposa has rather more volume than the Gorilla. Which means I am doing something wrong when packing.

20 hours later…
    Scratching two compression sacks as per BPL suggestions and fiddling with the compression straps left me with room for a couple of six packs – if I where so inclined.
    So with the right gear, the Gorilla might be a perfectly good seven day pack, but the Mariposa is a bit more flexible.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools