Topic

Dyeing Pack Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dyeing Pack Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

I attempted to dye a Dyneema X pack from the grey color to a lighter tan and the dye didn't take. Do you guys have any tips? I've read a few threads about people dying packs to a darker black color but I'd rather my Snickers bars stayed unmelted. Is the PU coating preventing the dye from setting? Or should I be trying to use dye remover first?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Can't go lighter. Dye remover won't work.

Curious: Do you know if the pack fabric has any kind of DWR? Did you wash the pack first?
    Not that I think it would matter in your case, but…

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Thats unfortunate. It's the standard thru-hiker.com dyneema and has that coating on the back of the fabric.

For the life of me I don't get why people like dark colored packs.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

What did you use to dye it? Nylon needs a dye intended for protein fibers. Something intended to dye wool would work best. RIT dye has two different kinds of dye, one for wool and one for cotton, but it is a weak dye and doesn't always work well. Certainly, any sort of coating would inhibit dye take-up.

If you want custom dye advice, check out http://prochemicalanddye.com/home.php and contact them for advice. Their dyes are top-notch and if they won't work, it's unlikely anything else will.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I wear a black pack. I like it. Does not effect temperature of the wearer or the contents. Look at the Bedouins. Is stealthy. Covered the green and yellow better than any other color were my reasons for going with black. Really don't like red, blue, yellow, orange for any of my gear.

It is better to observe than be observed.

I don't understand anyone wanting a bright colored pack. So what for the life of you don't you get?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools