Topic

MLD Patrol Shelter w/ Yama Mountain Gear 1.25 Bug Net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Patrol Shelter w/ Yama Mountain Gear 1.25 Bug Net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I think I finally found the perfect shelter for me with great weather protection and bug protection for sanity.

This combo is lightweight, durable, breathable and adaptable with a CF Patrol Shelter plus a Yama 1.25 bug net and a ground cloth-clear mylar. The very small footprint really makes me happy for the adverse conditions in the High Sierras. I can't wait for the season to begin!

Rain from the night before and my footprint was dry.

MLD Patrol Shelter 8.8 oz

Yama Mountain Gear 10.5 oz

MLD Ground Cloth 1.5 oz

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice pairing Jay. A smaller footprint than your last set up. The Patrol is popular for good reason.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

…if'n I'm a gonna pay fer CF to keep weight down I'll git thet thar Skyscape X tent.

I hain't a gonna fiddle with puttin up two shelters (floored net and tarp)to git one.

Yers, Jeb

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Dang hicks from the city!
    I saw earlier this winter that the Patrol had good reviews, but by the time I added in tent poles and some bug protection, I was going to spend too much money and not have lost much weight over my floorless TT Squall at around 24-25oz. That set up does look nice, but if I was spending my money, I wanted to try cutting my weight and bulk by at least a third and ended up cutting it in half, with money left over from my income tax refund to pay for new glasses and some gear for my motorcycle. Not as bomber I'm sure as the Patrol for the Sierra, but we'll see.
    Duane

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Eric, I saw a Skyscape at the last GGG in Henry coe. It looked like a great shelter but they are asking over $500 I think and I bet you have a long wait time. With my combo you have the option to sleep under the stars on a clear night if need be. The new Six Moons Designs CF shelter was a cool looking shelter. It was John Abellas.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very nice shelter system, Jay.

I remember a similar set-up (maybe the same bug net?) under a larger tarp at the Trinity Alps trip. I also remember how efficient you were in setting up and taking down your shelter. Good job on tweaking until you got the features you were looking for.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Regarding: "I hain't a gonna fiddle with puttin up two shelters"

I went with a similar setup to this because of it's flexibility.
    Mine is the Patrol matched to a BearPaw Minimalist 1 or SMD Meteor, depending on the time of year.

Easy/quick setup, but I am not stuck with one style pitch. It can be pitched to accommodate different situations better than one piece shelters.

I have had many one piece style UL shelters and am aware that they all have compromises that make them not the best shelters at the extreme ends of the weather spectrum.

I actually usually only pitch the Patrol and leave the inner attached. So I usually only put up one shelter. I do have to adjust the hang to accommodate weather extremes, but I'm glad to have that option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools