Topic

First multitool / knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First multitool / knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I'm looking to purchase my first multitool/knife for basic trail hiking and backpacking. I don't have a specific use case, but I imagine I might find myself in a situation where I need a blade, scissors, etc. Based on some of the threads I found below, it seems like the Victorinox Classic is a good choice. The Spyderco Ladybug also looks interesting. Does anyone have any additional input for someone buying their first blade?

Thanks.

Knifes (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74567)

Multi Tool (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62817)

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

If all you are looking for is a small blade for food prep and some scissors for first aid applications then the Victorinox Classic is your best bet. The tweezers can also be handy if you ever hike through prickly stuff.

Anything from Spyderco is excellent. But personally I prefer having scissors, much more practical for most everything you will need on trail. Except in winter conditions I almost never bring more than my Swiss Army Knife for basic trail backpacking.

I am a guy who LOVES my big blades, saws, and axes for woodcraft and winter bushcraft, but for standard on trail excursions you will never need more than a Victorinox Classic. Don't waste money on a fancy locking folder or fixed blade if you don't have a planned use for it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I agree 100% with Andrew. Inexpensive too. Win, win.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Leatherman Style

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

the Leatherman Micra is an excellent pair of scissors with a spring, plus tweezers, a blade, screwdrivers for glasses and headlamps, and a handy file.

I dig!

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

A Leatherman Juice S2 would also be good if you wanted fully functional pliers. 4.4 ounces I think.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

It's only 24 gram, but has the following:
    0) Spring-action Scissors
    1) Knife
    2) Flat/Phillips Screwdriver
    3) Nail File
    4) Tweezers

For $17 delivered it's a best UL multitool.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools