Topic

Input on new headlamp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Input on new headlamp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

My Princeton Tec died and I need a new headlamp!
    I really like the Petzl Zipka, but now I see there is a 'plus' and a 'plus2' model. What are the differences? Also, I see a lot of hikers using the e-lite.
    Anybody have experience with these?

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

I really like the E+lite. Very light, packs down super small, a ton of features for its size. A lot of the time I am wearing it, I forget it is there.

The only cons are that since it is so small and uses a switch, it is a little bit difficult to use if you have large hands, thick gloves, or one-handed. Also, the batteries don't last super long if you use the brightest setting for very long.

However, for its weight & price, there are very few options that compare to it.

Here is the BPL Reader Reviews of the E+lite:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=5032

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

another vote for e+lite.
    When backpacking, I'm usually sleeping when it's dark, all I really need a flashlight for is to find something I put on the ground during dinner at dusk, or to find my way into the tent. I don't need 60ft. visibility. I don't even use it to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
    Easy place to save weight. Don't carry more light than you really need.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I tried an e-lite for a while but never really liked it. It was ok around camp but far from ideal it you wanted to night hike, or even just go off and relieve yourself. I ended up switching to a Zebralight H501, which isn't perfect for night hiking either but much better than the e-lite and great around camp. I'm much happier with the H501, even if it is heavier, its more robust and much brighter when I need it but still has the low modes that are great around camp or in the tent.
    I also keep a Photon light on my neck lanyard which I like quite a bit. Honestly, I came to think of the e-lite more as a glorified Photon rather than a mini-headlamp. They both have about the same limitations for me but the e-lite has more modes and is bulkier.

Adam

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Which model PrincetonTec? I'm curious. The only PTec I had problems with was the Byte, which is a miserable piece of CCC* to begin with. I've long used and recommended the EOS, (and it is still a good light for $35), but there are newer designs out there.

*Cheap China Crap

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have one of the original e+Lites and really like it. The switch has two "off" positions:
    – In the first you have white light for the first setting
    – In the second you have red light as the first setting

I use the white light around camp (usually the low mode) and then switch it to the second "off" position for when I'm sleeping. I find the red light to be perfect for those midnight "calls of nature."

With that said, I also carry a Fenix LD01 (AAA flashlight – .81 ounce with battery) in my pocket when I'm sleeping. The e+Lite has a maximum output of just 26 lumens and the LD01 gives me an 85 lumen spot light to better see things going "bump in the night."

David Ure

@familyguy

Love the EOS! The e lite is okay for reading but noting else. The output is not sufficient for night hiking.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I had a PT Scout (no longer made). I called PT to ask about another headlamp and told tehm about the Scout's hinge breaking. They said "Send it in and we'll fix it." I did and they did.

I still think Princeton Tec is one of the best headlamp makers. Now I only buy regulated headlamps and tehy make excellent ones.

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

My PT Fuel has a battery cover that broke off at the hinge. I don't know how that happened-it was in an outside pocket pressed against my sleeping bag.

Thanks for all the input. I really like the e+lite for the weight, and I will probably go that route. I don't do much night hiking.

I also keep a Photon Freedom around my neck. Maybe I should just stick with that?

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Do you have a cheap source for Cr2032 batteries?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Do you have a cheap source for Cr2032 batteries?"

eBay. Watch the buyer's feedback and best if they have posted expiration dates and brand names. There are folk who buy up big trays of them and then sell them in small lots. My experiences have been good.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Yep, every computer my department recycles. My help desk guys just pile the batteries on my desk and rarely do I find one that measures at less that 2.8V (corrected after measuring a couple on my desk — not sure why I was thinking max 1.5V at first response).

+1 on the e-lite as well. I have been using one for years. As long as you aren't night hiking as others have mentioned. I have a Tikka Plus also with a Core battery, but it never seems to make it into the bag when selecting between it and the e-lite.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

batteryjunction.com

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Aren't CR2032 batteries 3v? Why would you want one at 1.3v?

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Yesterday I took my broken PT Fuel back to REI to ask about warranty issues. They just gave me a store credit, even though the headlamp was 5 years old! Dang! Anyhow, they don't have the Petzl e+lite at the store, so I came home with a Zipka Plus 2. Works on AAA batteries and is pretty lightweight. Seems good to me! Used the 20% and my dividend to make it even sweeter.

Thanks REI.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

"Do you have a cheap source for Cr2032 batteries?"

I've got them at Sam's club for $6/for 6. And at Family Tree they sell them for $1/ for 2. Plus at Family Tree I get my alkaline AA and AAA batteries for $1/ for 4. They have about 5% less capacity than a Duracell but the price is right :)

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

I buy all of my CR2032 batteries at gofastandlight.com for $0.38 each and CR1632 for $.80 each. They have other neat backpacking items also, cool site!

CR2032 Batteries found here http://www.gofastandlight.com/CR2032-Lithium-Coin-Size-Battery/productinfo/PO-CR2032/

CR1632 batteries found here http://www.gofastandlight.com/Bulk-Packaged-CR-1632-Lithium-Battery/productinfo/PO-CR1632/

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Petzyl zipka. Awesome and lighter because of the strap. Battery lasts forever.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools