Topic

MSR Lightning Ascent Snow Shoes – All Sizes 60% Off – $108-$120

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals MSR Lightning Ascent Snow Shoes – All Sizes 60% Off – $108-$120

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

Great deal for Lightning Ascents on Amazon. 30" only available at that price in yellow, 22" only in black, and 25" available in either color.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RI6ZWY/

Tails at EMS for $40 (20% off):

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4085829

Mo Rodopsky
    BPL Member

@rhodopean

Great deal indeed,thank you!

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Just ordered some… was just about to buy some locally for twice the price! Thank you much!

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

got 'em! thanks!
    i'll resell when i find a deal on northern lites race :-)

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

That is too sweet a deal. Gotta love spring for winter gear deal. The women's are also on sale for the same price in the 25'. They are lighter and narrower, which, from reports, makes then easier to walk in for smaller folks. Thanks to Konrad for the idea to switch to the women's version.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Aren't the bindings much smaller on the women's version? Looks like it in the photos, particularly on the Axis model (which is also on sale by the way, for under a hundred dollars!)

Also, I can't find the women's version for the sale price, only regular price.

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

scored 2 pairs, one for my wife and I.

Can't resist all these post-US winter deals, before our winter in Australia hits.

P S

@xeren

Locale: Southern California

Thanks guys, just jumped on a pair! Been wanting to get into snow shoeing at some point.

It looks like the women's version are not on sale by nearly as much though.

The Evo shoes are on sale though- would these work for women?

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

it says the bindings fit up to a women's shoe size 14, which is more than big enough for me and most guys. Unless you are big foot, binding size should rarely be an issue on a snow shoe with a universal binding.

4 left in the women's
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076ZSKHW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

correction. they jacked up the price just in the last hour. I live in Seattle and know a bunch of guys that work at Amazon on customer analytics. they have a whole bunch of computer science PhDs working overtime tracking our every move online and optimizing their sales algorithms just snag us. Looks like we triggered something in some formula. Sorry. No deal on women's version, at least not right now.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I bought a pair of the 30"s last week when they were 50% off, called Amazon yesterday and they agreed to refund me the $30 difference between the price I paid and the current price, no questions asked.

Makes me wonder if they are selling below cost because they don't want to tie up warehouse racks for the summer, or if they know that MSR are coming out with a new and improved model for next winter.

Either way, I got out on Sunday with my new snowshoes and had a cracking time thanks to (finally decent) late season snow.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Looking forward to using these next season.

Marc Loomis
    Spectator

@th12t33n

man im trying to come up with any logical reason to not jump all over this freaking deal right now. I know im gonna need some this winter. But just dropping 120 on something thats getting put up for 8 months till i use it…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Mine came on Saturday.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Head for them thar hills. At higher altitudes late season snow means I'll be using mine through the end of this month, and wishful thinking has me hoping maybe into early May also.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Looks like I'm a bit late since the price went up, but the women's bindings fit fine, even with my size 10.5 double layer plastic mountaineering boots. I think amazon is just clearing out warehouse space, as MSR just revamped the Lightning Ascent this past year, and I can't imagine them redesigning again. They added a smarter (less prone to breaking) crampon design.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

I'm still seeing $108-$120 for the men's version in yellow for the 25" and 30" sizes, only the 22" size is close to MSRP.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

If anyone wants tails for these, they can be had from EMS for $40:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4085829

Personally I like to use moosejaw price match for the rewards points.

-David

P S

@xeren

Locale: Southern California

any recommendations for a good, cheap snowpole? should i just set a sacalert for trekking poles and fit a snowbasket on whatever black diamond pole I can get for ~$30?

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

THANKS !!!!! Super great deal. Just ordered mine! Thanks for that post !!!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Got mine today! Thanks for the link!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Should get my EVOs in the mail today. $56 is a pretty good entry price to the sport in my book!

Similarly the Lightening Axis 25" are $95 right now.

I did have a question (should I enjoy the sport and want to do more…): What is the difference between the Lightening axis and ascent and the evo tour and ascent. From what I can tell the axis/tour models are identical to the ascent models (heel riser being the main addition from entry level MSR shoes) except they let you adjust the location of the bindings left-right to compensate for any pigeon or duck walking gait.

Are there any significant pros-cons to this binding that affect durability or usage?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Dustin,

The axis have a simplified binding (as opposed to the Ascent's multi-strap binding). While in theory it should have been better, Phil at sectionhiker.com found that the simplified binding was not that secure. Seems like the Axis would fair better on mild trails where losing a snowshoe isn't critical. The ascent's multi-strap binding system is a tried and true system that's been around for quite some time.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I totally agree with Konrad about the bindings. I have a few pair with both setups and while the Axis is easier for my wife to use but I don't take her anywhere that puts a strain on the the binding. I have used them myself (I prefer the width of the women's snowshoe) but have stepped out on a steep side hill and they don't give me that "I'm secure in my bindings" feel. For an extra $10 I think is is worth getting the Ascents.

BTW, I also think the heal lift is worth spending extra to get.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Nice! I'm about to snag some…gonna see if backcountry.com will price match though so I have the nice unlimited warranty as well. Too bad the womens aren't on sale though. I would probably do better with the narrower shoe.

Ken Nguyen
    BPL Member

@ninjapuppet

Locale: B-Town

Tad, I got my ascents from you a year ago for a bargain of $180 or so. They were damaged due to my stupidity and thanks to the OP, i got another pair now.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools