Topic

Vargo decagon v trangia mini

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vargo decagon v trangia mini

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Want to use my rei coupon and the only alcohol stoves they have online are the vargo decagon and trangia mini. I'm inclined toward the vargo as its self contained (trangia I'd probably need to replace the pot stand) – but reviews are mixed on the vargo. Any thoughts?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Decagon bad. Have not met anyone who was happy with theirs. Actually I have never seen one actually boil water, hot yes, boiling, no.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I'm with Ken. I've never heard a kind word about the Vargo.

The mini Trangia (Trangia 28) has a good reputation, but it's not exactly UL. Light maybe but not UL. The Trangia 28 is a good cooking set up. The simmer ring on a Trangia gives you way more flame control than the average alcohol stove. The mini Trangia needs to be supplemented with a windscreen. The thing they call a windscreen that comes with the Trangia 28 isn't really very windproof. No big deal, but something to be aware of.

I've got a review of the Trangia burner on my blog.

I haven't reviewed the Trangia 28, but I have reviewed the larger Trangia 27. The Trangia 27 and the Trangia 28 (mini) really aren't that similar though (except for the burner which is identical).

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

I have a first generation decagon (they updated it a couple of years ago). It's not a great stove… but it will boil water just fine if you do it right, and it is nearly indestructible, but it's generally a fuel hog AND it burns slowly.

It needs about an ounce or more of denatured alcohol, but you can reclaim anything that's leftover either by careful pouring, or by plastic syringe, which is what I used. But nowadays, 1/2 oz of fuel is the norm for the stoves I use, and they boil faster.

My Decagon is relegated to emergency use these days, but every once in a while I'll fire it up for fun, or to test a new fuel blend.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I think I'll find something else I need! And buy a kovea spider instead since I am already in the cannister camp and found white gas less than appealing….

Maybe a GPS….

If in going to try alcohol it seems like the universal choice is the caldera cone setup… And burner for that matter….

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I think I'll find something else I need!

Yeah. Pretty much. The "big box" retailers just don't have a lot to offer in the UL alcohol stove department.

And buy a kovea spider instead since I am already in the cannister camp and found white gas less than appealing….

The Kovea Spider is a favorite of mine. Compact but able to support a fairly large pot (if needed) and able to use a 360 degree windscreen — as well as able to handle an inverted canister for cold weather.

If in going to try alcohol it seems like the universal choice is the caldera cone setup… And burner for that matter…

The Caldera Cone is a really nice UL set up. Trail Designs has a simmer ring that they're putting out. It works well, although it doesn't quite have the range of different settings that a Trangia has. But the Caldera is much lighter, very stable, and very efficient. Of course there's the titanium version, the Ti-Tri. The Ti-Tri adds the ability to burn wood which can be really handy. Being titanium it's also more durable… but it's also more expensive. Sigh. Such is life.

My go to stove for three season solo (and some duo) trips is pretty much the Ti-Tri. If I'm out with my family or doing a winter trip, I've been using the Kovea Spider. Good choices.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

"Maybe a GPS"

I think the REI coupon excludes any device that has GPS technology, including, of course, GPS receivers.

You could use your dividend towards a GPS, if it amounts to a substantial savings, otherwise other online retailers are a better deal.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Yeah, I know. That sucks, doesn't it. Grrr. PLB's as I recall are also excluded from the coupon.

One's dividend, however, can be used on anything, same as cash.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

The Trangia is a real burner that will just work all the time. It may not be light, but it works – by far my favorite Alchy burner.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Another +1 here for the Trangia. I got it long before getting into UL stuff, but I still use mine occasionally.

Also, most other online retailers are excluding GPS tech from their %20 coupons as well. Backcountry.com and Campsaver are even excluding brands like MontBell, Therm-a-Rest, MSR, etc… Makes me sad :(

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Buy something else at REI. Get a nice Trail Designs Caldera Cone that comes with an excellent stove. And buy a matching pot. (Very important for max eficiency.)

The Caldera Cones are so efficient that after purchasing and testing one you will send me money for this advice. ($20. will suffice.)

Yeah, I know, REI doesn't sell Caldera Cones. But get one anyway just because they are so good.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

The Caldera Cones are so efficient that after purchasing and testing one you will send me money for this advice. ($20. will suffice.)

Ha! If only I had a dollar for every piece of stove advice I've given! ;)

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yep Jim, and you have given great advice. Good photos and many, many stoves tested.

Where do I send my $$ for your advice?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If only I had a dollar for every piece of stove advice I've given!"

I would be a rich man if I had a nickel for every piece of stove advice that I've given.

–B.G.–

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools